Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to watch downloaded movies on ps4?

Options
  • 17-11-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just bought a PS4 there and found out I can't play movies with my USB, if I got a external hard drive and put my movies on it and connected it to PS4 would it work?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No because the PS4 does not have any media codecs installed to play those files. It is currently impossible to play any movie files you have on the console until Sony release a firmware update with this ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lexuslad

No because the PS4 does not have any media codecs installed to play those files. It is currently impossible to play any movie files you have on the console until Sony release a firmware update with this ability.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Absolute madness that they haven't came up with the solution yet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

You could try plex, think others have mentioned it but I haven't tried it myself yet on the PS4.
    I did think patch 2.0 was to allow mp4 playback though via USB but again haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

lexuslad wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply! Absolute madness that they haven't came up with the solution yet

It's not a priority for them as Sony marketed the PS4 as a games console first and foremost to take the edge from MS and not a media device like the PS3 was marketed as.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

It's not a priority for them as Sony marketed the PS4 as a games console first and foremost to take the edge from MS and not a media device like the PS3 was marketed as.

And this is a shame. All that power going to waste. Of all the consoles I've ever bought the PS4 has to be the least used of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

They are probably not pushed with releasing such functionality as subscription based servers like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc are taking priority. Personally, I've a monthly subscription to Netflix which I find great. I use an aging WDTV Live for streaming my move stuff from my NAS to TV.

I must say I'm using my PS4 more than I ever used my PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Use Plex. Works flawlessly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Considering the Ps3, 360 and XONE can all do this, its crazy the the PS4 cant.

Advertisement