Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite dish problem with rental property

Options
  • 17-11-2014 11:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Just a question regarding the satellite dish on a house my wife and I used to live in, and which we now have rented out. It was installed by Sky while we lived there, as part of an ordinary Sky subscription package.

Our first set of tenants didn't try hook up to it at all, but now we've a new set - a Pakistani family who brought in some sort of freeview box to watch Pakistani and other Asian channels. They just hooked straight in to where the cable from the dish fed into the sitting room, and it worked fine for them for a number of months, but now isn't working any more.

They have relations just a few doors down and say they have swopped boxes around (very same make and model) between the two - both work in the relations house, but neither works in ours, which implies the problem must be something do with the dish or cable from it.

My question now - is it up to us as landlords to get this seen to, or is it their responsibility as the ones using it? On the one hand, if they had an ordinary Sky subscription like the dish is originally intended for, then they would just have to phone Sky and it would be fixed for them as part of their contract. So if they're using it as a freeview thing, is it also up to them to maintain it?

On the other hand, does it come under the sort of 'fixtures and fittings' things that the landlord is normally responsible for?

For what it's worth, the lease makes no direct mention of the satellite dish or any commitments re TV at all.

Any thoughts? All help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Sounds like a dish alignment issue. On the question of responsibility, it's an interesting question. Totally unqualified to answer (hopefully someone else here can give you a definitive answer) but I would be guessing it's not your responsibility. You didn't include it in the lease. They are accessing pay tv - so that's a utility. Up to themselves to sort that out I would say (but like I say...that's not a qualified opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Sounds like a dish alignment issue. On the question of responsibility, it's an interesting question. Totally unqualified to answer (hopefully someone else here can give you a definitive answer) but I would be guessing it's not your responsibility. You didn't include it in the lease. They are accessing pay tv - so that's a utility. Up to themselves to sort that out I would say (but like I say...that's not a qualified opinion).

I agree, OP I don't think it is your responsibility. It is a utility, which the tenants are liable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Duffryman wrote: »
    On the other hand, does it come under the sort of 'fixtures and fittings' things that the landlord is normally responsible for?

For what it's worth, the lease makes no direct mention of the satellite dish or any commitments re TV at all.

Any thoughts? All help much appreciated!
    What is the dish attached to? If getting them to fix it, would you mind a larger dish (1m or upwards compared to a 60cm dish) being installed? And as they paid for it, they may feel entitled to bring the new dish with them when they leave.

Probably best to ring around, and see if someone who does satellites could pop out and fix it for you. Could a ball have hit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The LNB could have failed no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

it would be up to tenants to fix it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did you advertise it with the house in the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

OP, even if they/you had a continuing Sky contract, Sky would not repair the dish, the cabling or the box under such a contract. It's a fixture in the house and, if provided as part of the rental, is no different from water pipes, gas pipes or electrical cabling. It is exactly the same as an aerial on the roof. In heavy wind, it can be blown slightly off course, the LNB (plastic thing collecting the signal) could be damaged or the cabling could be damaged.

Generally I would think if it was there when the place was rented, it should be fixed. Unless you specifically stated somewhere that it wasn't included.

Its not a lot of money and if you are happy with the tenants why not just replace disk and LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

There are four elements to these systems

1/ The dish. It can be knocked or can move which can affect reception.
    2/ LNB. This is the bit that sticks out from the dish. They don't last as long as you'd think. If the sky box says 'not satellite signal being received' then its probably this or the dish. You can buy a new LNB for around £10 and they take minutes to fit. A fitter or SKY will charge 50-100 to do this probably.
    3/ Cable between dish/LNB and box is damaged. Cheap as chips to replace by online providers.
    4/ Box is faulty. Hard drives and any electrical device can fail.

If the boxes work elsewhere then it is probably 1,2 or 3 on the list above. Try to eliminate each one systematically.

The general rule is that if you have had a subscription for over 12 months the dish is your property. However, from a rental point of view I would let the tenant pay for any service they want and any changes or fixing to the building must be approved by you first and be made by an approved installer (not the family doing it themselves up a ladder.)

You may want to add the caveat that the original sky dish is put back once they are finished with it or move out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice, folks.

Seems to be no definitive answer over whether it's the landlord or tenant who's responsible in a case like this. In the circumstances, I'm inclined to go and look after it myself. They're good tenants overall and we're happy to have them, so no point having an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Duffryman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the thoughts and advice, folks.

Seems to be no definitive answer over whether it's the landlord or tenant who's responsible in a case like this. In the circumstances, I'm inclined to go and look after it myself. They're good tenants overall and we're happy to have them, so no point having an argument.

Sensible approach. Good luck

It think that's the smart thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I wish you were my landlord. I am struggling to get basic things fixed in the new property I am renting.
    I hate estate agents managing properties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

It's most likely a simple dish realignment or LNB replacement.
    Sky would charge €100 for a call out like this , local TV/sat guy prob in the €60-€80 region depending on whether new parts are required or not.

Advertisement