Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone 6 screen scratches

• 18-11-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

After 2 years of heavy use, my iPhone 5 screen was as new.

3-4 weeks in with my 6, I have 2 scratches on my screen, my friend has the same issue, and googling is throwing up the same issues.

One of the scratches is deep enough to catch on my nail if that makes sense....

Anybody here noticed it ? I really don't want to get a screen protector :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

You should either get a screen protector, a front cover/case or pouch, and keep the device out of pockets and bags with keys or coins in them.

Phones are never 100% going to stay scratch free, unless you baby the thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

After 2 years of heavy use, my iPhone 5 screen was as new.

3-4 weeks in with my 6, I have 2 scratches on my screen, my friend has the same issue, and googling is throwing up the same issues.

One of the scratches is deep enough to catch on my nail if that makes sense....

Anybody here noticed it ? I really don't want to get a screen protector :(
    €700 quid for a phone....and you don't fit an SP. Jesus.

A good protector will be virtually un-noticeable when fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've never put a SP on a €700 phone (I've had the iPhone, iPhone 3G S, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 6), no matter how cleanly they are put on, they still feel slimy.

Is there really nothing to be said for dedicating a pocket solely for your iPhone? I doubt very much that these scratches just appeared there in fairness. Give your phone a fighting chance at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

dodzy wrote: »

Having had each iPhone since the iPhone 1, I can honestly say that a screen protector isn't necessary if you take the right precautions. Dedicate one pocket to the phone and nothing else and you won't have a scratched screen.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Is there really nothing to be said for dedicating a pocket solely for your iPhone? I doubt very much that these scratches just appeared there in fairness. Give your phone a fighting chance at least.
    I do and I've picked up a few scratches. The screen is definitely less scratch resistant than the 5 or 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

+ 1 for the "one pocket" rule. Never had a screen scratch on mine in years of iPhones.

The screen is everything on a smartphone. I could never diminish it in any way with a always-there film of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I take care of it, I've always re-sold my old phones in like new condition.
    My last 3 phones, and this one have all been resold still witg the original plastic packaging backing under my cover.

Maybe I got unlucky and it scratched without me realising, but https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765
    Has a good few cases like me too.

I'm pretty gutted, but I would rather pay the 90 toreplace the screen instead of a plastic screen protector tbh

I'm pretty gutted, but I would rather pay the 90 to replace the screen instead of a plastic screen protector tbh
    Can't see the logic there in fairness. a tenner for a top quality screen cover. and you'd be hard pressed to notice it once fitted. That said, I've seen plenty of cheapos which are almost impossible to apply correctly due to poor die cutting. But a good quality one, such as this is perfect for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I'll give it a go, cheers !
    If it's shîte you owe me €9

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Draco wrote: »
    I do and I've picked up a few scratches. The screen is definitely less scratch resistant than the 5 or 5s.

My 6+ is way more scratched after a few weeks than 2 years with my iPhone 5 with the exact same treatment.

These screens seem to be way more prone to scratching.

S.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go, cheers !
    If it's shîte you owe me €9

:)
    You'll be thanking me.

The usual applies :

Clear work area.
    Use provided wipe for screen before application.
    You will be amazed how easy it fits - it is basically sucked onto the screen. leaving you with very little air to push out with the provided card.
    I really can't see how anyone could say in interferes with the phone or cheapens the look compared to a naked unit.

IMO, its impossible to keep either clean and will constantly result in you rubbing the screen off pants / sleeve to keep polished. This is the danger, particularly if the screen is softer that its predecessor, and one that is pretty much eliminated with the protector in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

On my third iPhone and never had a screen protector.

Why put a cheap piece of plastic that diminishes the screens quality and affects colours.

€700 quid or not, you're paying for its features and design. It's not something to be wrapped in cotton wool.
    If I had my way I wouldn't even put a case on it but had to admit defeat on that due to a couple of drops and broken screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Companies like Apple have spent millions researching screen and glass technology, reducing the distance between the glass and screen to remove imperfections, making the glass durable and optically clear to reduce glare, increase viewing angle and give a visually brighter and clearer display and you think it's fine to stick a cheap €20 bit of plastic over it? I don't see the logic in paying for something that will only reduce the experience.

murpho999 wrote: »
    On my third iPhone and never had a screen protector.

Why put a cheap piece of plastic that diminishes the screens quality and affects colours.

€700 quid or not, you're paying for its features and design. It's not something to be wrapped in cotton wool.
    If I had my way I wouldn't even put a case on it but had to admit defeat on that due to a couple of drops and broken screens.

Contradiction, no ?
    jester77 wrote: »
    Companies like Apple have spent millions researching screen and glass technology, reducing the distance between the glass and screen to remove imperfections, making the glass durable and optically clear to reduce glare, increase viewing angle and give a visually brighter and clearer display and you think it's fine to stick a cheap €20 bit of plastic over it? I don't see the logic in paying for something that will only reduce the experience.
    And it seems apparent that they have dropped the ball on the screen integrity of their latest offering. 5 / 5S winning in the durability stakes after so little time ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Contradiction, no ?

In a way yes but I just think it's a shame to totally encase it and hide it's nice design but as the screens are prone to breakage then it unfortunately has to be done.

Don't see the need for screen protectors though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've always used screen protectors, never bother me and kept my devices in mint condition. It's a little harder using one with the iPhone 6 because of the curved edges but if I get any scratches I can just remove it and add a new one. If the screen gets scratched I can't say the same, and it would bother the life out of me. A thin layer of transparent plastic for €1.49 in Dealz is a small price to pay for peace of mind imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I use tempered glass screen protectors on mine... Don't think it cheapens the look a all to be honest. Worth it for the extra piece of mind. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Always use one. Forget it's on. Bit of an overreaction to say it diminished the experience tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

My 6+ is way more scratched after a few weeks than 2 years with my iPhone 5 with the exact same treatment.

These screens seem to be way more prone to scratching.

S.

Ah....... conspiracy theory.
    Put weak ass screens on iPhone 6 - then release iPhone 6S next year with Sapphire Crystal displays and BIG IT UP so that people will jump at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I'm with the "dedicated pocket" "no screen protector" group and when I first read this topic I thought if you've scratches you must not be careful enough.
    Then I saw my 6+ in bright light with the screen off and there are definitely some scratches present. I have no idea how they got there as I am very careful with my phone and it is never in a pocket with something metal/sharp. I agree with the view that the screen on the 6+ is definitely not as hard/scratch resistant as the 5.
    Still won't fit a screen protector though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I'm also in the pocket segregation, no case/cover group. My iPhone 4 lasted years in great condition, but already, my iPhone6 surprisingly has light scratching. I'm pretty shocked, but also not too worried. It's almost impossible to tell there are marks when the screen is illuminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lardy wrote: »
    I use tempered glass screen protectors on mine... Don't think it cheapens the look a all to be honest. Worth it for the extra piece of mind. :)

which one did you use? I'm looking around for one for my iPhone 6 was going to go with the Ivisor one but it's not getting great reviews as the screen sits above the phone touch sensor and isn't great when typing etc, also looking at the Nillkin full glass, they seem to be better, but still researching them at the moment.

which one did you use? I'm looking around for one for my iPhone 6 was going to go with the Ivisor one but it's not getting great reviews as the screen sits above the phone touch sensor and isn't great when typing etc, also looking at the Nillkin full glass, they seem to be better, but still researching them at the moment.
    this'll do fine or if you are dead set on tempered, then go for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Screen protector? No thanks. My screen protector is using my head. 5 iPhones, no screen scratches. I have AC+ for the unlikely event I drop it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I always get a screen protector as it makes little or no difference to the colours/viewing angles and what ever else. What it does do is keep my screen perfect and adds strength, not a lot but still adds a bit. Also have a spigen tough armor case on mine!

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Screen protector? No thanks. My screen protector is using my head. 5 iPhones, no screen scratches. I have AC+ for the unlikely event I drop it though.

Yeah but they won't cover minor scratches on the screen if it doesn't affect the operation of the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What are you guys doing to your screens? :eek::confused:

Bought my 6 on the 19th of September, no screen protector no scratches either.

It lives in its own pocket. When ever I need to wipe the screen I try to use a microfiber cloth, I give the cloth a quick shake to make sure its free of any debris and if I use my shirt I just wipe down the area with my hand before using it to wipe the screen. I never use my jeans.

That way I minimise any potential scratches to the oleophobic coating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I use the Zagg tempered glass from Carphone Warehouse. €29 if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

have to agree with the screen on the i6 being more scratch prone than previous incarnations. i have mine in a full cover yet still has light grazes only visible when screen dark.:confused::confused:
    not good enough for an E800 worth phone

• Advertisement

Advertisement