Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone 6 screen scratches

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

mad muffin wrote: »
    What are you guys doing to your screens? :eek::confused:

Bought my 6 on the 19th of September, no screen protector no scratches either.

It lives in its own pocket. When ever I need to wipe the screen I try to use a microfiber cloth, I give the cloth a quick shake to make sure its free of any debris and if I use my shirt I just wipe down the area with my hand before using it to wipe the screen. I never use my jeans.

That way I minimise any potential scratches to the oleophobic coating.

I think we're going a bit OTT carrying around freshly shaken micro fibre cloths for tentative wiping though. Should not be necessary. Obviously something amiss here. Not nearly as resilient as it's predecessor, and that's simply not good enough from such a top tier manufacturer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

sheezz,, I have the iphone 6+ 128gb have had it for a while and there is not a mark on it, it has been put in the pockets while travelling, has been dropped and stuff placed on it yet it is pristine.

Have had them all and this is by far the most slippery of the phones I have had, hence the dropping. the screen has not a mark on it... compared with the older phones they always had a scratch or two at this stage... maybe I am babying it too much.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

dodzy wrote: »
    I think we're going a bit OTT carrying around freshly shaken micro fibre cloths for tentative wiping though. Should not be necessary. Obviously something amiss here. Not nearly as resilient as it's predecessor, and that's simply not good enough from such a top tier manufacturer.

Would you go away with yourself :rolleyes:

Where did I say I carry freshly shaken micro fibre cloths where ever I go?

99.9999% of all scratches are to the oleophobic coating created by careless wiping.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Would you go away with yourself :rolleyes:

Where did I say I carry freshly shaken micro fibre cloths where ever I go?

99.9999% of all scratches are to the oleophobic coating created by careless wiping.
    Yeah OK MM, I hear ya :)

That aside, there is definitely a difference in the material from the screen on the 5 series to the current model in terms of screen toughness. Its a step back in terms of resistance.

On a happy note, my 64gb 6 Space gray was ordered on Nov 3rd. En route today !

I'll have it sandwiched with Spigen before its powered up !

All wrapped up :D

329886.JPG
    329887.JPG
    329890.JPG
    329891.JPG
    329892.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

No offence, but that's ugly. I'd never do that to such a nice looking device.

Of course, if your job dictates you're out and about our that, I'd use one, but otherwise - 'dedicated pocket, never had a problem' brigade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I've my 6 plus since late September, not a single scratch on it. Not sure what people are doing. Carrying keys in same pocket as phone maybe. I haven't used a screen protector since the iPhone 3GS. There's simpy not a need for them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Im minding mine like an electronic baby, no hard surface impact or contact with keys, the only incident i can think of leading to slight grazing of the oleo surface was the phone coming into contact with a carpet while charging.
    Its probably planned obsolescence on the part of Apple to get us upgrading every year :D

No offence, but that's ugly. I'd never do that to such a nice looking device.

Of course, if your job dictates you're out and about our that, I'd use one, but otherwise - 'dedicated pocket, never had a problem' brigade. :)

Yeah, unfortunately I have little choice :(. I'd love to have it naked but I had to make a compromise. Its about the best case I could find which offers all round protection. A small consolation is that it feels really nice in the hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I received this last week and it's great quality, I use a Spigen case with mine and it just about fits, no issue with touch sensitivity on the screen. Might actually order a spare one and one for the wife's IPhone 5 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Which Spigen cover is this? I have the 6Plus which cracked inside a Spigen cover whilst in my hand. Wasn't dropped. IMHO there is a serious weakness in the glass around the home button - around the home button's 5-7 o'clock area - which your screen protector will do nothing to address.

dodzy wrote: »
    All wrapped up :D

329886.JPG
    329887.JPG
    329890.JPG
    329891.JPG
    329892.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BMmeow

I have the same issues with my iPhone 6 Plus. Im on my second one, got the first one replaced for free due to a crack in the glass that wasn't my fault, now have the new phone less than 2 weeks and already a scratch in it that feels deep when you run your finger over it and looks like chipped plastic! Awful! Have had 4 iPhones previous to this since 2008 and never one so much as put a tiny dent in the phone let alone scratch the glass. I think Apple really had no idea what they were doing when the made the 6 plus in terms of durability, it doesn't stand up to equally sized rivals like Samsung at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

I guarantee the next unique selling point for the next incarnation of iPhone will be scratch resistant sapphire glass thus negating the need for ugly bumpers and cases :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

kefir32 wrote: »
    I guarantee the next unique selling point for the next incarnation of iPhone will be scratch resistant sapphire glass thus negating the need for ugly bumpers and cases :D

It was the plan for the iPhone 6 until they realised they weren't getting the sapphire yields they needed, so it was probably a scramble to find glass.

I think they'd love to put it on the 6S but haven't heard any rumours about new sapphire suppliers after GT went bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Zcott wrote: »
    It was the plan for the iPhone 6 until they realised they weren't getting the sapphire yields they needed, so it was probably a scramble to find glass.

I think they'd love to put it on the 6S but haven't heard any rumours about new sapphire suppliers after GT went bust.

Yeah reckon that we won't see the Sapphire screens until IPhone 7 at the very earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yeah reckon that we won't see the Sapphire screens until IPhone 7 at the very earliest.

They also will get scratched, why? Because it will have oleophobic coating. Which is what gets scratched 99% of the time.

Advertisement