Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How do I cook the ham?

Do I boil it, then dry it off, cover it in honey glaze then bung it in the oven?

Yes.
    Mustard and cloves too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Yes.
    Mustard and cloves too.

And how long do I boil it/ oven it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And how long do I boil it/ oven it for?
    About 30mins per 500g is what I do for boiling (well, simmering actually) it. If you're cooking in the oven straight away them 10-15 mins should be enough. Just check to see what state the fat / glaze is in. Glazes can burn very easily if left in too long. If boiling in advance and cooking in the oven from room temperature then I'd say more like 30 mins.

Alun wrote: »
    About 30mins per 500g is what I do for boiling (well, simmering actually) it. If you're cooking in the oven straight away them 10-15 mins should be enough. Just check to see what state the fat / glaze is in. Glazes can burn very easily if left in too long. If boiling in advance and cooking in the oven from room temperature then I'd say more like 30 mins.

Good stuff, cheers mate!

You need to take the skin off, leaving a layer of fat, prior to glazing in the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Bazmo's stuffing balls made (yummy, cheers Bazmo)

Potato and bread stuffing made. I think I do bread stuffing in turkey crown.

Turkey crown In fridge.

Ham simmering away. I'm debating if I'll oven cook it off this evening or tomorrow.

Plans to stir fry Brussels are ready.

I'm cheating and using ready made carrot n parsnip mash.

Gravy with onions n mushrooms.

I will also boil potatoes fir kids and potato croquettes for husband.

Disaster struck this morning when I was making mince queen cakes. When I was creaming butter the beater in the mixer totally broke. Looks like my sales money will go on a new mixer. Here's hoping I'll bag a fancy one for a bargain.

Right must tidy house a bit now as I am planning s very relaxed evening, then kids to bed before santa arrives. I hope I get good nights sleep

Happy Christmas All, I've loved reading this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I've over boiled my ham a bit, but is should be ok. Pulled pork is all the rage anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You'll have the most hipster christmas dinner ever Loire! This time next year we'll all be having pulled, brined pork instead of ham. You were just into it before it was cool.

Tonight I am having a Norwegian christmas dinner, roast pork belly, boiled potatoes, carrots and...<checks kitchen prep> beer I think! Then out to my Mam's tomorrow for turkey and all its Christmas buddies with the heat up to 90 & the fire lit. It's going to be delightful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is it okay to prep my veg tonight ie peel spuds and sprouts? Can I leave them in water overnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Anyone got a nice recipe for carrot and parsnip mash? I remember putting crème fraiche a few years ago and it was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

You'll have the most hipster christmas dinner every Loire! This time next year we'll all be having pulled, brined pork instead of ham. You were just into it before it was cool

That's me, trend setting when I don't even mean to :cool: :p

I used the Nigella recipe and I must say it tastes very good. Gonna leave it cool down and will glaze later on after mass. Nice warm ham later with some bubbly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Had plans... Such great plans. Going to my sisters for dinner, but I'm in charge of the ham and roasted veggies.

Was planning on doing all of it at my house in my massive kitchen. Until our oil burner went on fire last night. Took the oil tank (what a bang!!) the next shed over and our water pump with it. Fire brigade and all were there last night. No water now or until next week, so had to ship most of my kitchen to my mother's. Just here, had some lunch and now gonna get started.

Everyone is fine, and the house is fine, so we were very lucky. Just a huge pain now, and the worst possible time of year for it to happen.

Thank god we are renting, that's all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Aw hattoncracker!! Really glad you're all ok but for actual fluff sake. That sounds a bit scary as well as being a pain

If it's a 3kg ham I'm guessing I boil it for 3 hours approximately but then how long do I leave it in the oven after boiling to glaze the honey on it? 30 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm glad ye are all ok hattoncracker! Hope ye still have a good christmas and better things only for 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had plans... Such great plans. Going to my sisters for dinner, but I'm in charge of the ham and roasted veggies.

Was planning on doing all of it at my house in my massive kitchen. Until our oil burner went on fire last night. Took the oil tank (what a bang!!) the next shed over and our water pump with it. Fire brigade and all were there last night. No water now or until next week, so had to ship most of my kitchen to my mother's. Just here, had some lunch and now gonna get started.

Everyone is fine, and the house is fine, so we were very lucky. Just a huge pain now, and the worst possible time of year for it to happen.

Thank god we are renting, that's all I can say.

Wow! And there was me feeling sorry for myself with my dose of manflu. Thank God nobody got hurt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's rough going, hc. :/

Re glazed ham, about 20 minutes at 180C is what I went with. Also got a copy of Loire's overboiled memo.

That's rough going, hc. :/

Re glazed ham, about 20 minutes at 180C is what I went with. Also got a copy of Loire's overboiled memo.

Thanks for that :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I know I'm supposed to be a big girl now but sticking my hand up a turkey's bottom to pull out all the giblets was the most disgusting thing I've ever done :eek:

What do you do with giblets? I've already got a chicken stock made, but should I make stock with the giblets? Throw them out? I haven't a notion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Faith wrote: »
    I know I'm supposed to be a big girl now but sticking my hand up a turkey's bottom to pull out all the giblets was the most disgusting thing I've ever done :eek:

What do you do with giblets? I've already got a chicken stock made, but should I make stock with the giblets? Throw them out? I haven't a notion!

Either!

You can make a gravy depending on how much time you have

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gravy_2812

• Advertisement

Fry them for a few minutes and simmer them in the chicken stock to enrich it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I use a similar recipe to what's on that BBC link. Take some water from the boiled ham, roughly chop an onion, some bay leaves, the giblet and away ye go.

I felt a bit sick after doing the giblet removal and adding the flavoured butter last night (poking around under the skin - the smell is vile), but the turkey meat's nice and soft now. Hasn't dried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. no one was hurt, just bad timing. We are both very much of the "let it go, we can't do anything about it" frame of mind, so we aren't letting it get us down.

My ham is in the slow cooker with some (well, lots) coca cola, a couple of star anise, and some onions.. It's there now for the next 5 hours at least. Well excited!!

Merry Xmas everyone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sorry, hattoncracker, I meant to add my sympathies. What an awful thing to happen! Thankfully no-one was injured, and you've got somewhere else to go.

/edit: Do you use all the giblets, or do you leave bits out? One recipe I saw said to leave out the kidneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Ham is simmering away here in coke, and the spiced beef is simmering in stout.... I was going to light a scented candle but the kitchen smells so good there's no need to!

Hattoncracker, sorry to hear about that. Hope you still have a good Christmas :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Ham done
    Trifle sponge soaked and fruited, just waiting on custard to cool so I can put it on
    Cranberry sauce made
    stuffing made
    sheets changed, old ones washed and ironed

Just waiting now for some more washing to dry so I can iron it, then will peel and chop the veg and potatoes and leave them in water overnight.

All ready so I can go for my christmas dip tomorrow!

/edit: Do you use all the giblets, or do you leave bits out? One recipe I saw said to leave out the kidneys.

I've always omitted the liver as it can make the stock bitter. I use everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

If anyone is roasting Butternut Squash I've (accidentally) found that a good amount of Smoked Paprika really works well with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Ham has been slow cooked ready for baking, veggies are cooked and in oil and my baileys cheesecake is in the fridge with a super - runny ganache that's making a complete mess of my fridge...first Christmas dinner I've ever cooked alone!

Two fillet steaks resting and a bottle of Moet chilling :D I do however have to be up at 3 am to Skype Sydney...

Merry Christmas boardsies, thank you so much for your wonderful tips and recipes throughout the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

eviltwin wrote: »
    Is it okay to prep my veg tonight ie peel spuds and sprouts? Can I leave them in water overnight?

Absolutely. I have spuds, sprouts, carrots & parsnips all done & in a pot with water. A couple of sheets of kitchen roll on the top to keep the veg bobbing on the top moist too.

Hattoncracker - sorry to hear of your troubles.

Advertisement