Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Is there a reason so many people cool their ham the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

To have it with eggs for breakfast tomorrow morning! :)

Everything that can be done is done. Still dithering whether to poach or roast turkey.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

For me it was convenience. Have ham cooked and baked (and sliced!).

Cooked it in coke, glazed with mustard and sugar. Nom

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Convenience of having it done before the big cook off.
    The opportunity to eat it on Christmas Eve.
    For our family, it's traditional to eat it cold and I prefer it that way.

Surely cooking the night before will make it lose some taste and flavour come dinner time on Xmas day?

• Advertisement

Surely cooking the night before will make it lose some taste and flavour come dinner time on Xmas day?

Maybe it's all the sugar in the cola but I think it tastes better the longer you leave it!

Ok final question guys

Decided to cool the ham now. Once cooked in 3 hours time, do I leave it wrapped in tin foil overnight OUT of the fridge or IN the fridge?

Ok final question guys

Decided to cool the ham now. Once cooked in 3 hours time, do I leave it wrapped in tin foil overnight OUT of the fridge or IN the fridge?

In the fridge. I find cling film better than tin foil. Keeps the moisture in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight I am having a Norwegian christmas dinner, roast pork belly, boiled potatoes, carrots and...<checks kitchen prep> beer I think!

There were meatballs too it turned out! and a cream gravy! and aquavit but that gets no exclamation as it's like gripe water to the power of a thousand. Vile.

Photo is, as per usual, horrendous. Food was not.

c43da799-b047-4ed6-9ca7-649ce2894a8b_zps67178bb2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

My god I'm knackered. At least all that's left to do is get up, have breakfast, stuff the turkey and get it in the oven, swim, shower, rest the turkey, carve and heat up the ham, cook the veg, carve the turkey and plate it all up. Then if I feel up to it I might actually eat some of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dinner number 1 done and dusted (the one that I had to make!), looking forward to dinner number 2 tomorrow (the one that I'm not making!).

I'm in rest mode now. :)

Best of luck to everyone doing the big cook tomorrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ham done and out on a plate cooling.

Food aside, the dog(kcc) is going have the ham sweats tonight when trying to sleep. The kitchen smells ravenous. Make it the downstairs.

*goes to make a ham sambo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have a banoffe pie and trifle made. Mother has the veg prepared, stuffing ready, and the 2 hams cooked (one smoked, one unsmoked). I think it's time for the traditional Christmas Eve ham sandwich - the best sandwich of the whole year! Merry Christmas everyone!

Ok so one utter gentleman here suggested now I've cooked the Ham I leave it out overnight in cling film on the counter top.

My Ma says I should wrap it in cling foil and once it cools put it in the fridge til tomorrow.

WHO DOES A LEEDS SUPPORTER BELIEVE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Ok so one utter gentleman here suggested now I've cooked the Ham I leave it out overnight in cling film on the counter top.

My Ma says I should wrap it in cling foil and once it cools put it in the fridge til tomorrow.

Fridge. Think about it... Meat needs to be refrigerated, not left out in a (Presumably) reasonably warm room.

If it's still warm don't put it in the fridge.
    I'd cover in foil and put in an unheated room if warm, if cool in fridge.
    Yer ma is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I've the cabbage soaking for tomorrow. We're having t-bone steaks, cabbage and garlic mushrooms. Weird combo but hopefully should be nice. I have bacon water from the other day so will cook the cabbage in that.

Looking forward to it, don't have t-bone steaks often so its a nice treat.

Also have the Schneider Weisse Porter and Rascals Ginger Chocolate Porter to wash it all down.

Hope you all have a great day and enjoy your dinners!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How are the chefs this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Morning all :)

Hope everything is going with prepping/cooking etc. Currently I'm eating some After Eights from their mini selection box.

Think I might do this for lunch. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm having a slight panic attack as I bought a turkey crown and I only weighed it at home on bathroom scales so I'm not confident on weight. I think I left it on the high temp for too long and the outside Is very brown and I'm a bit scared. Turkey being dry is not an issue we prefer it that way (sorry accomplished cooks ) I'm just scared it won't be done enough.

• Advertisement

How are the chefs this morning?

The sherry bottle has just been opened! All pretty relaxed, just a matter of timing everything for a 3pm climax!

Good luck Boardsies. Hope it's a juicy one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Right so, birds in the oven so I think it may be time for a port and a few slices of spiced beef! Happy Christmas everyone!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Remove netting or not before poaching boned and rolled turkey?

Left it on, hope I don't regret it later.

Lisha wrote: »
    I'm having a slight panic attack as I bought a turkey crown and I only weighed it at home on bathroom scales so I'm not confident on weight. I think I left it on the high temp for too long and the outside Is very brown and I'm a bit scared. Turkey being dry is not an issue we prefer it that way (sorry accomplished cooks ) I'm just scared it won't be done enough.

If its browning too fast, cover it loosely in foil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Afternoon all. Hope all's going well.

Grand here. Just pretty much waiting for the bird to finish now and just had a nice, hot toddy!!

Loire.

I'm not even in the house where I'll be cooking the turkey yet!
    Having said that, someone else is doing the starter and the ham and spiced beef were done yesterday by someone else too.
    And I'm hoping all the spuds, carrots and parsnips will be peeled when I arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Ham is tasting amazing, if not a bit wonky, coz when I bought it it was too big and i had to cut it in half.. Ended up looking after the turkey aswell, so that's all butterbasted and ready.

Roast potatoes are on, stuffing is done. Brussels are in the oven with some garlic, smoked streaky bacon and olive oil.

As for me, I'm showered but still in my pyjamas with no make up on and supposed to be leaving for my sisters in ten minutes.
    At least the food is ok though. Merry Christmas!!

For the last five years or so, since we inherited the responsibility of cooking the family Christmas dinner, the Turkey breast has been overcooked and dry. Everything else would be great but I could never get the damn bird right. Was about to throw the towel in and do another meat when I thought I'd give it one more try.

Brining, poaching, sous viding and all sorts of cooking methods were considered until a couple of weeks ago, someone on here (not sure if it was this thread or elsewhere), mentioned brining in buttermilk with a link to this recipe http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/1209/4131-buttermilk-brined-roast-crown-of-turkey/

Brined the crown for three days instead of two and roasted in a roasting tin with sausage stuffing on a bed of onions, carrots and celery with a whole orange stuck in the cavity.

The weight said 2 hours cooking so after 90 minutes removed the lid and it was cooked through so let it rest for the last 90 minutes under a blanket of tin foil and tea towels.

The result? The most tender, juicy and tasty Turkey ever! 😄

As we were clearing up, we had another little slice and you could taste the orange with a hint of garlic but it was still tender, even when it was cold.

We had my sister round so all veg had to be vegan-friendly. So, in no particular order we had:

- whole roasted celeriac
    - vegatable megamix - celery, carrot, parsnip, beetroot, turnip, fennel and onon.
    - roast potatoes
    - brocolli
    - pickled cabbage
    - roasted Brussel Sprouts
    - vegan gravy
    - vegan stuffing
    - Turkey crown
    - rolled Turkey leg with sausage stuffing
    - ham
    - proper gravy

Months of planning, three days of preparation, two days of cooking, eaten in 20 minutes! :rolleyes:

9959DCCA-8605-4348-A925-BDA312E8F7E3_zpswctn4ogh.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Christmas eve drinks sounded like a great idea until I had to get up at 8.30 to make the pavlova that I skipped making the night before in favour of boozing :(

Turkey is out of the brine and drying off. It's a little too big for my roasting tin, but it'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

It is done!

And it was good!

Started the then day with breakfast roulades (some left for tomorrow when hopefully I wont make a mess of the poched egg....) all good apart from that and jnrs had them with scrambled eggs and ate all put the black pudding ( they will learn)

The main meal was a bit choatic but worked out. Starters were italien tapas - parma, proscuittio and porchetto wrapped around a mix of pineappple, kiwi, melon and fig. Served with some rocket and a lemon dressing, light and better than expected.

Mains was Turkey, Ham, roast spuds, mashed spuds, carrotts, sprouts with lardens and various others. All good especially the Turkey which came out 30mins earlier than planned thanks to the meat thermometer! Turned out for the best as all cleaned their plates. Sprouts and lardens a little underwelming.....

Mad deserts followed.. trifle, pudding and cheese. Had a bit of trifle as not a mad sweet tooth but loved the cheese and will devour more later!!!

Best wishes one and all for as great Christmas

Advertisement