Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I'm bloody glad I spent time posting here last year about how I made my Christmas dinner. Just sitting here trying to figure out the where/what/whens and what shopping/cooking I can do in advance - and what I remember (and what I thought I did), I realise now, is not exactly what I actually did. I honestly would have messed it all up if I hadn't have this to reference!

YAY Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Super! Great to hear of successes. Best of luck again this year!

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have to say, I'm always amazed that people go to the trouble of starters. I make such a pig of myself with the mains that a starter would be a waste in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I can't eat a starter this year - am already concerned that I may not be able to eat my full dinner let alone seconds! Silly baby taking up space

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

16lb surely?! :eek:

I've ordered a 12lb hen & will most likely be given a 14lb bird by my generous butcher. That is for 2 adults & 2 kids. We'll probably get 4 days out of it - cold cuts, sandwiches & the scrapings will go in to my legendary (well, for me & HB Jr. I) turkey-bone soup.

I am cooking for 8 people over 2 days, we get tired of it after that and a lot goes to the dog and cat. Also apart from my dad, we don't like the legs so a lot is wasted unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I can't eat a starter this year - am already concerned that I may not be able to eat my full dinner let alone seconds! Silly baby taking up space

You can have a starter any time of the year, Christmas dinner comes but once a year.......maybe twice if you go to the inlaws! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Re Christmas starters, we did a sort of prawn taster plate last year - a tiny prawn cocktail with mini sesame prawn toast, mini prawn and crab cake and a tempura prawn. Possibly a little dim sum thingy too. It was delicious and nice and light. Got the prawny bits in Aldi I think, I wouldn't have the patience for making tiny canape things on Christmas day!

RachelDDD wrote: »
    I am cooking for 8 people over 2 days, we get tired of it after that and a lot goes to the dog and cat. Also apart from my dad, we don't like the legs so a lot is wasted unfortunately.

But where are you suggesting someone can get a 16kg (35lb) turkey?

"We're gone need a bigger oven!" :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We don't have a starter either - it's all we can do to eat the huge dinner and then dessert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

RachelDDD wrote: »
    Also apart from my dad, we don't like the legs

:eek:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

But where are you suggesting someone can get a 16kg (35lb) turkey?

I read this, and realised my toddler is 14kg. He is 2.5.

10 kg is the Ryanair carry-on max weight. At 16kg, that is a monster of a turkey. :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Page 5, in the science of Christmas mag in the Irish Independent. Can't upload a pic, as I'm on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

We're skipping a starter this year. I would normally make soup or something light like that but my husband would just prefer to get straight into the main event. So this year we're going to have the giant dinner, all the usual suspects, turkey, ham, loads of veg, all the different types of potatoes, gravy etc. then later on we'll have something homemade for dessert. I made apple and blackberry crumble one year and profiteroles another year, can't decide what to do this year.
    I find that the dinner really cooks itself, once you have the meat looked after early in the day you can kick back and take your time with everything else and put some time into a nice dessert.
    In saying that there's only 2 humans in our house for dinner and 4 dogs and the dogs are not fussy about what they get so definitely less to do in our house than in other houses.

Forgot to add the breakfast details, we'll probably have a small fry and I'm going to try the pecan cinnamon rolls from the Cooking Club :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I don't buy the turkey or ham at Christmas (Thanks Mammy!) so have no idea what sort of value this is but just got an email offer from James Whelan Butchers re a flash sale on a Bronze turkey & ham combo deal if it's of interest to anyone!

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6651

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

foodaholic wrote: »
    Im making a twiced baked smoked salmon suffle with a dill and wine cream sauce. Its great because you can make it a day in advance and just heat for 10-15 mins in the oven.

Really like the sound of that...would you have a recipe please?

Edit - found one - bbcgoodfood - thanks anyway!

Thanks!
    Loire.

Basic question time....what's the best cut of ham for Christmas? I see fillets, collars and everything in between. Can't remember which one I bought last year?

Also, is there really that much of a difference between a fresh and frozen turkey?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

14 boardsies went into the kitchen, 3 came out. I'll never put an apron on again.
    Anyway, we delivered the bird. :pac:

Anyone else have a Xmas apron? :o:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Loire wrote: »
    Basic question time....what's the best cut of ham for Christmas? I see fillets, collars and everything in between. Can't remember which one I bought last year?

Also, is there really that much of a difference between a fresh and frozen turkey?

Thanks,
    Loire.

I bake a whole ham, I don't think anything smaller tastes quite like Christmas. We don't like turkey, we have loin of pork.

Loire wrote: »
    Anyone else have a Xmas apron? :o:)

I use my normal one but I've bought a Santa one for Mr. Dizzy :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've been thinking of making a Darina Allen Christmas cake for a family party next week. If I made it tonight and wrapped it in paper would it last until then? I might leave out the icing as I don't feel confident enough to try it. 6th class in school was the last time!

Christmas cake lasts for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

I've been put in charge of dessert for OH's family Christmas dinner for the first time. No pressure;-) I'm thinking homemade trifle - anyone have any suggestions for fruit? I was leaning towards berries only but don't know if that might be a bit sharp...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

kat939 wrote: »
    I've been put in charge of dessert for OH's family Christmas dinner for the first time. No pressure;-) I'm thinking homemade trifle - anyone have any suggestions for fruit? I was leaning towards berries only but don't know if that might be a bit sharp...

I would imagine any berries you get here would be rather astringent. You could macerate them, like in this recipe http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/berry-trifle.html

You could also opt for tinned fruit (pears or peaches maybe?) to add sweetness.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/dec/22/how-to-make-perfect-trifle

I have half a mind that something in the chocolate/morello cherry area could be nice. http://scrumpdillyicious.blogspot.ie/2013/01/nigella-lawsons-chocolate-cherry-trifle.html

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2195635/marys-royal-cherry-trifle

On similar areas, I think Tiramisu is a nice option, depending on how much the family like coffee.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/mar/13/how-to-make-perfect-tiramisu

Christmas cake's on at 150' C. Almost 2 hours in now, fairly brown...there's a crack in the middle. Waah.

That is why icing was invented. ;)

Whisht. :P

b5f65e98-300a-482f-9282-b3a9f7ce5b47_zpse8d2950d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Whisht. :P
    Looks yummy! A generous glaze of apricot jam hides a multitude :P

I've put down a big week in work this week. About an hour to do today and then I'm gonna spend the day planning my Xmas meals! Might even throw Microsoft Project at it !

• Advertisement

So, anyone getting spiced beef for the occasion? I forgot to order mine when I was sorting out my turkey with my butcher. Top priority when I get home next week.

I love picking at slices of the beef while I'm preparing the dinner & sipping on a glass of chilled sherry. :)

Advertisement