Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

So, anyone getting spiced beef for the occasion? I forgot to order mine when I was sorting out my turkey with my butcher. Top priority when I get home next week.

I love picking at slices of the beef while I'm preparing the dinner & sipping on a glass of chilled sherry. :)

Defo. Heading to the butchers in the morning with a big bag (of money!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Loire wrote: »
    I've put down a big week in work this week. About an hour to do today and then I'm gonna spend the day planning my Xmas meals! Might even throw Microsoft Project at it !

Gantt charts and all? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

So, anyone getting spiced beef for the occasion? I forgot to order mine when I was sorting out my turkey with my butcher. Top priority when I get home next week.

I love picking at slices of the beef while I'm preparing the dinner & sipping on a glass of chilled sherry. :)

I'd far rather have beef tongue as a Christmas treat. I just can't gather enthusiasm for spiced beef but send some to relatives in England every year and they love it.

Gantt charts and all? :D

http://loirexmas.wordpress.com ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

But where are you suggesting someone can get a 16kg (35lb) turkey?

I've sold turkeys upwards of 40lbs, to be honest I stopped rearing turkeys as people were looking for birds that are the size of a guinea fowl, 21-23lb used to be the standard order over 15 years ago and now its mostly 15-16lb.
    Big heavy turkeys all go to the catering trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I'd far rather have beef tongue as a Christmas treat. I just can't gather enthusiasm for spiced beef but send some to relatives in England every year and they love it.

We have both at home in my parent's house (still go home, it'll change eventually I'm sure), I love the spiced beef but I can't get over the texture of the tongue so I can't eat it. The spiced beef on it's own in super fresh white bread, can't bate it with a big schtick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Big heavy turkeys all go to the catering trade.

And my mother :D Who is in the catering-for-six trade. There'll be some well-fed dogs come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

But where are you suggesting someone can get a 16kg (35lb) turkey?

:O Sorry only just read back on this thread and I should have typed "LB" not kg!!! Blonde to the core :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I got one last time I was in the English market
    Conflicting recommendations on how to cook it.
    Some bake it and some boil it like a ham.
    Any suggestions ???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

foodaholic wrote: »
    I got one last time I was in the English market
    Conflicting recommendations on how to cook it.
    Some bake it and some boil it like a ham.
    Any suggestions ???

I've never cooked it myself but I've only ever seen it boiled or prepared in the slow cooker, never baked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I simmer my spiced beef very, very gently for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I simmer my spiced beef very, very gently for a few hours.

Thanks for that HB, I've been tempted to buy it but never knew what to do with it. Is it like corned beef in texture ?

Loving all the ideas in here. We haven't had turkey here for the past few years. We opted for a change once and now no-one wants to go back to turkey. We've had things like roast lamb, a giant rack of beef, a full baked halibut last year. Thinking of cooking goose this year so any advice would be much appreciated. I don't usually serve starters because we always have a crowd here Christmas morning and I serve lots of nibbles. I bake and glaze a ham on Christmas Eve (compulsory for those returning from the pub).

I usually roast a load of cocktail sausages in the ham juices (yum)
    Eldest son makes a fantastic selection of sushi
    I also plan to serve turkey sliders this year.
    I recently made turkey burgers using minced turkey, with a spoonful of stuffing and a bit of cranberry sauce in the middle. Served in a floury bap with mayo. Seriously tasty, like Christmas dinner in one mouthful. That's why I'm trying mini versions to serve with drinks Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Where's the Gantt charts ?? :D

gantt-xmas.jpg

@jos28 - Yes, it is similar to corned beef. I only like it cold & served in thin slices by the handful straight to my gob.

@jos28 - Yes, it is similar to corned beef. I only like it cold & served in thin slices by the handful straight to my gob.
    Definitely on the shopping list now, cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I do the same as Hill Billy, simmer it on a low heat. Has to be simmered in stout though, Murphys preferably!
    We eat it cold then in thin slices between slices of fresh white bread with mayo and a little bit of pickle. After the pub. Nyom

Made my first Xmas cake this year last night. It was a bit flat / thin. The recipe called for 3 eggs but I had only 2...would this be why? It tasted good though...a little sweet for me but herself loved it. Kids are stuffing themselves with it too so could easily be making another one tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks for that HB, I've been tempted to buy it but never knew what to do with it. Is it like corned beef in texture ?

Loving all the ideas in here. We haven't had turkey here for the past few years. We opted for a change once and now no-one wants to go back to turkey. We've had things like roast lamb, a giant rack of beef, a full baked halibut last year. Thinking of cooking goose this year so any advice would be much appreciated. I don't usually serve starters because we always have a crowd here Christmas morning and I serve lots of nibbles. I bake and glaze a ham on Christmas Eve (compulsory for those returning from the pub).

I recently made turkey burgers using minced turkey, with a spoonful of stuffing and a bit of cranberry sauce in the middle. Served in a floury bap with mayo. Seriously tasty, like Christmas dinner in one mouthful. That's why I'm trying mini versions to serve with drinks Christmas morning.

I'll be over about 1 Christmas day, that cool? :-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made my first Xmas cake this year last night. It was a bit flat / thin. The recipe called for 3 eggs but I had only 2...would this be why? It tasted good though...a little sweet for me but herself loved it. Kids are stuffing themselves with it too so could easily be making another one tomorrow!!

I used 4 large eggs going by a Darina Allen recipe. It called for 1/8 of a teaspoon of bread soda dissolved in milk. I added a little more. It's not a cake with a lot of depth...I've not tasted it, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Think hard about Goose as there is not much meat on them and they are nuts to carve (that said saw Jamie O doing one the other night on the TV and didnt carve just tore the meat off the bone). Very nice and all that so dont let me put you off but just know what you are getting into!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

pampootie wrote: »
    I do the same as Hill Billy, simmer it on a low heat. Has to be simmered in stout though, Murphys preferably!
    We eat it cold then in thin slices between slices of fresh white bread with mayo and a little bit of pickle. After the pub. Nyom

Do you just use all stout or do you use stock as well ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Omg, overflow, your chart is mesmerising! I have no skill with excel but I shall attempt a poor man's version later.
    I used 4 large eggs going by a Darina Allen recipe. It called for 1/8 of a teaspoon of bread soda dissolved in milk. I added a little more. It's not a cake with a lot of depth...I've not tasted it, yet.

Christmas cake is best when it's made weeks in advance and left to mature and develop flavour. I'd usually make mine in early November and I'd feed it booze every couple of weeks. The youth of your cake is probably why it lacks depth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just thinking of the tail end of corned beef my mum gets.....mmmmmmm so good - i'd nearly prefer that to the ham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

leahyl wrote: »
    Just thinking of the tail end of corned beef my mum gets.....mmmmmmm so good - i'd nearly prefer that to the ham

Heh. You're rayred on it down there. Do you eat it hot or cold and pressed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, Faith. I threw a spoon or two of whiskey into it even though that wasn't part of the recipe. More of a tester cake than anything fancy, really.

Flavoured butter. Jamie Oliver's (link) differs a bit from Gordon Ramsay who uses (link) a bit of olive oil. According to the video version this is to stop the butter from burning. I'm not sure which one to go for. Maybe a hybrid of the two.

foodaholic wrote: »
    Do you just use all stout or do you use stock as well ?
    I've always done it in water. Given the strong flavours of the spices I think it would be a waste of good beer as I there would be little that the cooking liquid would add.

kenco wrote: »
    Think hard about Goose as there is not much meat on them and they are nuts to carve (that said saw Jamie O doing one the other night on the TV and didnt carve just tore the meat off the bone). Very nice and all that so dont let me put you off but just know what you are getting into!

I was talking to my brother in law today and he reminded me of the time he cooked one for us. He said exactly the same as yourself - there's not much meat involved at all.:( There are only 4 of us for dinner but the lads can shift a serious amount. I'm not ruling it out yet so any other suggestions are welcome

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Heh. You're rayred on it down there. Do you eat it hot or cold and pressed?
    I've been eating it for 40-odd years & have only ever had it cold. (Apart from the sneaky nibble as it came out of the pot. )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was talking to my brother in law today and he reminded me of the time he cooked one for us. He said exactly the same as yourself - there's not much meat involved at all.:( There are only 4 of us for dinner but the lads can shift a serious amount. I'm not ruling it out yet so any other suggestions are welcome
    If there's only 4 of you, I'd go for it.
    Goose is expensive but oh so tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've been eating it for 40-odd years & have only ever had it cold. (Apart from the sneaky nibble as it came out of the pot. )

Same here, usually cold in sandwiches with good white bread, real butter and salt!! Have it cold with the dinner too

We get ours in Bresnans in the English Market - pricy but worth it!

Advertisement