Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2014 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I was thinking of brining my turkey this year, here is the river cottage method
    http://www.rivercottage.net/christmas/five-weeks-to-go/?utm_campaign=Christmas+2014%3A+five+weeks+to+go&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=
    What were other peoples experience with brining turkeys

Did it ala Nigella last year. Brined for two days. And at the end of it I overcooked the turkey because I got distracted playing Scrabble with my FIL.
    I should've listened to the posters here to get a proper meat probe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Faith wrote: »
    Does anyone have a tried-and-tested recipe for cranberry sauce?

This is a lovely, vibrant colour and so easy.

Rinse your cranberries so that there's some moisture on them. Tip into a lidded large pyrex with a thick slice of onion; the zest from an orange, peeled in strips with a potato peeler; a stick of cinnamon and three cloves. Microwave on medium power until the berries have burst and softened. Allow to cool slightly before removing the onion, zest and spices. Sweeten a little to taste and refrigerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was thinking of brining my turkey this year, here is the river cottage method
    http://www.rivercottage.net/christmas/five-weeks-to-go/?utm_campaign=Christmas+2014%3A+five+weeks+to+go&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=
    What were other peoples experience with brining turkeys

Read back over this thread.

I'd suggest not to brine because while your turkey should be moister, that is because you've just added water to it - I'd prefer my turkey to taste of turkey! Others disagree.

This thread explains in very scientific detail why.
    It also links to instructions on brining, if you do decide to.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Forgive my ignorance, I have seen Christmas Hams for sale in the supermarkets which have already been cooked baked etc, was wondering if I bought one how long should I put it in the oven for and for how long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Merged with Christmas dinner thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I still don't really get what eggnog is. It's an American thing, right, but eh...the name makes me thinks it's vile.

/runs away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I had a lovely hot eggnog drink in Munich last week

Eierpunsch - a mixture of advocat and white wine, heated and topped off with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
    You wouldn't drink many of them but the one I had was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

How's everyone's menu shaping up for the big day? We're having a mini xmas dinner on the 23rd so trying to finalise my plans now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Well, I got an email from my catering company with cooking instructions. Most of it has to be cooked in the containers it comes in at 140C for between 20-30 minutes apart from cold courses and soups. Photographs of presentation ideas included. Still delighted with this option so far.

I still don't really get what eggnog is. It's an American thing, right, but eh...the name makes me thinks it's vile.

/runs away

I tried a mouthful recently. It's weird. It's exactly how you'd imagine it, really. It had a texture like creme anglaise or something. I wouldn't rush to try it again.
    How's everyone's menu shaping up for the big day? We're having a mini xmas dinner on the 23rd so trying to finalise my plans now

Mine is coming together. Turkey is ordered (14lb, free range), I'm about to make the cranberry sauce now, I'll hopefully make the stuffing balls tomorrow and freeze them. I have an excel file all done up with times etc so it should run pretty smoothly, I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^they freeze ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Going to a tapas platter for starters, maybe about an hour or so before dinner just to keep us going.

Then of course turkey, ham, stuffing balls, roast veg and all the trimmings!
    Haven't decided 100% on dessert yet - But I'm thinking of spiced orange cake, chocolate tart & homemade vanilla & honeycomb ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

How's everyone's menu shaping up for the big day?

Kinda getting there but 2 big sessions tonight & tomorrow night has me worried that I'll forget something kinda important.....like the turkey :pac::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Prep? I'm going to make my list today. The food list, that is. Not a naughty and nice one. Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Prep? I'm going to make my list today. The food list, that is. Not a naughty and nice one. Ahem.

Whatever you do though, just make sure you check it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

thinking of cooking vol au vents for starter..heavy i know but it's the day for that! DOes anyone have any ideas on an easy recipe that can be done the eve before? can you buy ready made cases- lazy I know!!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

crunchie1 wrote: »
    thinking of cooking vol au vents for starter..heavy i know but it's the day for that! DOes anyone have any ideas on an easy recipe that can be done the eve before? can you buy ready made cases- lazy I know!!
    Thanks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/party_vol-au-vents_60239

beertons wrote: »
    ^they freeze ok?

Should be fine. I'll prep them, freeze them, defrost them on Christmas day and cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

crunchie1 wrote: »
    can you buy ready made cases- lazy I know!!
    Thanks

You can definitely buy ready made cases. Don't be tempted to buy ready made ragout though, it's invariably foul.

Cranberry sauce made!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Our house must be odd, we have fillet steak or roast fillet every year for Christmas dinner. Dad and I aren't fans of turkey, whereas beef fillet would be a nice treat for all of us.
    I wish my house was odd! I wondered why other meat producers do not try a marketing campaign to get people to switch, though I think I have seen some for goose or duck.

I dislike most christmas food, and just tolerate some. A big turkey is expensive and hard to manage, I would much rather have a decent steak and it could be around the same price.

I would hear of people treating themselves to a fillet steak throughout the other seasons, I have never heard someone being delighted to see turkey on a restaurant menu throughout the year, or "treating" themselves with it.

When I was young I used to wonder how this traditional food all came about and even wondered if it was some sort of religious penance!

With steaks I will hear "wow its so tender, lovely taste, so juicy"
    With turkey it more like "wow, its not bone dry, great! well done"

If I say this some will say nonsense & that they love turkey & christmas foods, but then will admit they would never bother cooking or seeking out these foods for the rest of the year. And its not just an excuse that the turkey is big, they are not getting turkey crowns, or doing sprouts, or putting cranberry sauce on chicken. They are not cooking cakes similar to christmas cakes or making puddings etc. Some supermarkets do stock these things and the lack of shelf space would suggest they are very low sellers.

@Rubadub

I feel pretty much the same way about the turkey (apart from boned, stuffed and rolled leg, which I love and do at other times of the year) but the family always want turkey: "It's just once a year!" and comments like that.

I do love the ham and spiced beef too. Glazed ham is cooked all year.

Anyway, back to this year:

I have my stuffing done (you can't stuff a poached turkey crown!)

6LbUWk.jpg

7c5Rv8.jpg

I have two rolls like that and some kept back for stuffing the legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

@rubadub I completely agree!

I work in a hotel (bar food) and we always serve turkey as one of the specials on Christmas Eve. Every year, it baffles me how a good 75% of people order the turkey when most of them will be having the exact same thing on Christmas Day - and their homecooked version will likely as not be far nicer.

I just don't get the turkey obsession at all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

If I could get bronze turkey at other times of the year I would love to eat it more regularly.

and I would eat ham at any time of the year tho do tend to only cook it in cider at Christmas time so its something to look forward to.

I have my stuffing done (you can't stuff a poached turkey crown!)

I have two rolls like that and some kept back for stuffing the legs.

That looks really great. Would you mind providing the recipe and how you plan to cook it?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

rubadub wrote: »
    I wish my house was odd! I wondered why other meat producers do not try a marketing campaign to get people to switch, though I think I have seen some for goose or duck.

I dislike most christmas food, and just tolerate some. A big turkey is expensive and hard to manage, I would much rather have a decent steak and it could be around the same price.

My mother got sick of cooking turkey and all of a sudden switched to T-bone steaks and then for the past 4 years, Beef Wellington (which is amazing!).

I have to say I would much prefer a decent chicken to turkey.

Loire wrote: »
    That looks really great. Would you mind providing the recipe and how you plan to cook it?

Thanks,
    Loire.

It's a basic breadcrumb stuffing.
    Onions, softened in butter; fresh herbs - I had flatleaf parsley, thyme, marjoram ; lemon zest; salt; pepper ; breadcrumbs - I like to use a granary bread - whatever is in the reduced section.
    It is wrapped in Lidl Serrano ham.
    I'll just stick it in a hot oven for half an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For me, it all starts tomorrow... Buy the veg & remaining groceries - not forgetting the plonk. I'll also pick up a turkey carcass & giblets from the butcher.

So, by tomorrow evening I'll have the stock for my post-Christmas turkey bone soup & also the base for my gravy. I'll probably make my stuffing too. Thinking of steak & chips for dinner.

Tuesday will be a baking day for Mrs B & The Kids, so I may grab a few cheeky afternoon pints & get a takeaway for dinner.

Christmas Eve, early morning pickup of all the meats at the butcher, boil the ham & spiced beef, prep the veg, wrap the pressies & settle down for an evening of baby cheeses (geddit? ;)), meats, nibbles & wine. Maybe a grappa or two also.

Christmas Day - brekky of smoked salmon on brown bread & fistfuls of spiced beef in Nana Billy's. And a G&T or two. Then home, pour myself a glass of chilled sherry then do mah funky thang in de kit$hun! Turkey, warmed ham, roasted spuds, carrots, parsnips & squash, Brussels sprouts, & red cabbage with cinnamon. And gravy, lashings of gravy!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Quick question about roasting vegtables. Is it possible to parboil them the day before? I'd like to try and get as much prep as possible done on Christmas Eve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Quick question about roasting vegtables. Is it possible to parboil them the day before? I'd like to try and get as much prep as possible done on Christmas Eve.

Absolutely. I'd toss them in the oil before putting them into the fridge, just to stop them drying out and possibly sticking together.

Advertisement