Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best price plywood

Options
  • 18-11-2014 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

as the title states im looking for some half inch 8x4 sheets of ply,its for a friend whos doing some flooring,he can get it for 17.50 a sheet and just want to know if it can be got cheaper,hes in the east cork area,if anyone knows a cheaper source they might let me know,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

minterno wrote: »
    as the title states im looking for some half inch 8x4 sheets of ply,its for a friend whos doing some flooring,he can get it for 17.50 a sheet and just want to know if it can be got cheaper,hes in the east cork area,if anyone knows a cheaper source they might let me know,cheers

A quick ring around the major suppliers will tell you. Another problem is delivery. Unless you are lucky enough to have a van or pickup it can add about 15 euro to the job. Gone are the days when you can get someone to 'drop them out the road' for free !

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

thanks for the reply,I got a call off the guy today and he was wrong on the price anyway,best he can do is 21.50 a sheet,regards

Is it going down on concrete ? It would be too light and lacking edge support to go down on joists.
    The 23% vat is a real PITA when it comes to doing any DIY work these days.:cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sometimes with plywood what you pay for is what you get there is a lot of cheep chinese ply around that is pure crap and full of voids, if you can go and see what you are buying or make sure it's certified.

cheers,the guy who's looking for some is well up on his wood,he's a chippie of 45 years,i have seen some of his work in his own house and he's v good,he's out of work and circulation for a while now and was surprised of the price of the ply is now,thanks

• Advertisement

minterno wrote: »
    cheers,the guy who's looking for some is well up on his wood,he's a chippie of 45 years,i have seen some of his work in his own house and he's v good,he's out of work and circulation for a while now and was surprised of the price of the ply is now,thanks

No problem but flooring on joists should be tongue and groove unless he ( the chippy ) is going to cut the ply to lie directly on the joists. I'd also avoid the Chinese/Far East stuff regardless of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

€20.28 in Brooks.

cheers,will pass that price on,regards

Advertisement