Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N86 - Tralee to Dingle [advance works ongoing for Phase 3]

• 18-11-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/an-bord-pleanala-gives-go-ahead-to-e70-million-upgrade-of-main-dingle-tralee-road/

I couldn't see a thread on this forum already but good news this week on the go ahead given by ABP to the improvement of the N86 between Tralee (from Camp) and Dingle (28kms). There is already an improved short section near Annascaul that gives a flavour of how impressive, safe and attractive the new route will be for all road users (with dedicated paths for cyclists/walkers). It will also make Dingle far more accessible to the rest of Ireland. Delighted to hear this news!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wish they did the other road from Castlemaine to dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wish they did the other road from Castlemaine to dingle
    its not a national road so isnt a priority.

even some cat eyes in the road would make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

€70 million on a road improvement out to a small town on a peninsula is a total joke, especially after the huge investment on the Tralee by-pass, another project which was never essential, and went €46 million OVER the original €26 million budget!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

A profoundly ridiculous and flawed scheme especially the cycling component. They are planning to drive 28m wide corridor the length of the Dingle peninsula. Hopefully somebody may yet get sense and turn off the money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's no doubt that the N86 needs improvement but what is the likely time line of this scheme? I presume it's to straighten and widen the existing route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

As a Kerry person, this is great but there are projects not a million miles away that are far more in need..Macroom and Adare by passes for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The section from Annascaul to Lispole badly needs some work and there are a few death trap bends in Lougher too but I think the new section east of Annascaul is too wide and too instrusive. There's hardly a need for bicycle lanes on both sides? and even then there seems to be a lot of extra land taken beyond that. Is it certain that the new section will be a carbon copy of it or is that to be decided yet?
    Also there's still a 7 or 8 week period of appeal before the permission becomes final and I'd say there's a good chance someone might lodge an objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Seems like a lot of money for a 'relatively' quiet road.

BUT - I presume that this is part of the Wild Atlantic Way scheme.....

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Kevwoody wrote: »
    €70 million on a road improvement out to a small town on a peninsula is a total joke, especially after the huge investment on the Tralee by-pass, another project which was never essential, and went €46 million OVER the original €26 million budget!

Yes, but it's not just any random small town. Dingle is a premier tourist town as is the entire peninsula that gets 100Ks of tourists each year and the current road infrastructure is very poor for the volumes of buses/coaches/traffic it carries.

I agree with other poster however, who said Macroom or Adare should have been given priority before this, Tralee and Castleisland bypasses.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, but it's not just any random small town. Dingle is a premier tourist town as is the entire peninsula that gets 100Ks of tourists each year and the current road infrastructure is very poor for the volumes of buses/coaches/traffic it carries.

I agree with other poster however, who said Macroom or Adare should have been given priority before this, Tralee and Castleisland bypasses.

Agree totally with all - but would add that the Inch- Castlemaine road is going to seem like a goat track by comparison. It carries a large amount of the summer traffic, esp to/from Killarney but is quiet in winter.

Macroom is a nightmare and should be at the head of any list of schemes. Adare could have been done by now but is back in the queue. It should be an easy enough road to build though if/when a route is agreed.

Sadly neither is likely to be built in the very near future :(

blindsider wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of money for a 'relatively' quiet road.

BUT - I presume that this is part of the Wild Atlantic Way scheme.....

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/route

Annascaul to Dingle is not a quiet road by any stretch of the imagination.

The WAW(S) needs to be upgraded too from Inch to Castlemaine to Farranfore

Several pieces on Radio na Gaeltachta and on media by Brendan Griffin saying that the scheme will start with 2 sections - Lispole to Ballynasare (getting rid of the hairpin bend at Banoge) and Camp to Mountoven.
    The Camp section isn't bad at all and has been widened a lot in recent years. You'd imagine the bridge over the Finglas river would be a bigger priority.
    This would suggest the road will be done in small sections until eventually they all link up, like sections of a jigsaw.
    Was at a function in Annascaul yesterday and folk from Camp said route had been selected (they described it in great detail including what houses would be demolished etc? ) and owners compensated but some from Annascaul said no money had been paid to them but the route was more or less known. I couldn't imagine any money has been paid yet since approval only came a few weeks ago but people talk etc etc :rolleyes:
    All sounds very confused. I get the feeling this thread will run for many years .........

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

lottpaul wrote: »
    Several pieces on Radio na Gaeltachta and on media by Brendan Griffin saying that the scheme will start with 2 sections - Lispole to Ballynasare (getting rid of the hairpin bend at Banoge) and Camp to Mountoven.
    The Camp section isn't bad at all and has been widened a lot in recent years. You'd imagine the bridge over the Finglas river would be a bigger priority.
    This would suggest the road will be done in small sections until eventually they all link up, like sections of a jigsaw.
    Was at a function in Annascaul yesterday and folk from Camp said route had been selected (they described it in great detail including what houses would be demolished etc? ) and owners compensated but some from Annascaul said no money had been paid to them but the route was more or less known. I couldn't imagine any money has been paid yet since approval only came a few weeks ago but people talk etc etc :rolleyes:
    All sounds very confused. I get the feeling this thread will run for many years .........

There might be 2 sides to the spending money, One to CPO the land and houses, and the other to actually build the road.
    For the M11 Arklow to Rathnew scheme that's getting built now, the land was bought at the top of the market 6-7 years ago, and several houses knocked, but the road only started getting built a year and a bit ago.

Raidio na G reporting that An Taisce is seeking a judicial review against An Bord Pleanala etc re the granting of permission for the N86 improvements. Local councillor Seamus Cosai Fitzgerald giving interview on Saol o Dheas now saying the 2 initial phases will be "put back" but no idea for how long.

Having travelled the road Sunday evening in near non visibility due to the driving rain, this needs to be done. Some dangerous bends outside of Annascaul. But I agree that the road doesnt require so much land like the annascaul section did!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Raidio na G reporting that An Taisce is seeking a judicial review against the NRA etc re the granting of permission for the N86 improvements. Local councillor Seamus Cosai Fitzgerald giving interview on Saol o Dheas now saying the 2 initial phases will be "put back" but no idea for how long.

The case is due to be in court in March.

• Advertisement

What the hell are on Taisce doing? Its a main national route that will improve transport links to the Dingle Peninsula!? The upgrade of Annascaul hasnt done that much damage that I could see. Its improved road visibility and even the views around it are more accessible!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Mc Love wrote: »
    What the hell are on Taisce doing? Its a main national route that will improve transport links to the Dingle Peninsula!? The upgrade of Annascaul hasnt done that much damage that I could see. Its improved road visibility and even the views around it are more accessible!

This is the second time that this scheme has been judicially reviewed. Kerry County Council challenged an earlier decision by An Bord Pleanála in Sep 2013 to refuse the same scheme. That challenge resulted in the Board’s decision being quashed and remitted to the Board in April 2014. On revisiting the same scheme again, this time the Board granted permission and this latest decision is now under challenge by An Taisce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anyone know the reasons behind the objections. Is this improvement going all the way to Dingle as well?

jank wrote: »
    Anyone know the reasons behind the objections. Is this improvement going all the way to Dingle as well?

The final scheme is to be from Dingle to Camp but there's very little discussion of Lispole to Dingle yet.

Listened to Cllr Michael O'Shea on Radio Kerry.
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/public-meeting-to-be-held-to-discuss-n86-next-month/
    He was seething and said the An Taisce objection was down to "one person living in Dublin". The objection seems to be against the original env impact survey, including for the completed section near Annascaul. It's all a bit murky, esp as An Taisce havent given any interviews etc yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The final scheme is to be from Dingle to Camp but there's very little discussion of Lispole to Dingle yet.

Listened to Cllr Michael O'Shea on Radio Kerry.
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/public-meeting-to-be-held-to-discuss-n86-next-month/
    He was seething and said the An Taisce objection was down to "one person living in Dublin". The objection seems to be against the original env impact survey, including for the completed section near Annascaul. It's all a bit murky, esp as An Taisce havent given any interviews etc yet.
    Interview in full here: http://media.radiokerry.ie/mediamanager/embed/player/podcasts/9/item/34198

Brendan Griffin just announced on Facebook that he had secured the funding for this scheme.
    He said to send emails to info@antaisce.org to get them to reconsider

Has anyone heard anymore about the case brought before the courts? I've asked the TD on facebook/twitter but got no response.

Nothing can be done until the court appeal is heard next month etc but finance is ready to be rolled out if the project gets a final go ahead

I thought that court appeal already happened, did it get re-scheduled? Having looked at the plans, and having travelled the road extensively I dont see why an Taisce would block it, the scenery of the route wont be impacted, in fact I'd say it would allow greater visibility and safety on the route.

Recently I saw the KCC out filling in potholes - and already the road is tearing up again, with the already high volume of traffic on it, it will only get worse over the summer!

• Advertisement

The commercial court has dismissed the case brought by an taisce

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153714169566934&substory_index=0&id=545556933

Advertisement