Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1992 Fiat Ducato 1900 Mechanic in Dublin area

Options
  • 18-11-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all

Anyone know of a good garage or mechanic in Dublin area to service my old 1992 Fiat Ducato 1900 Diesel in a Hymer Camp 46 van.

I drove it (her? him??) back from Bournemouth in UK a few months ago and the engine was perfect. Slow but perfect! I also went to Wexford on last bank holiday Monday and again, no complaints. At least none from me; I'm sure the long line of cars behind me on narrow winding roads uttered a few choice expletives.

Last week I went to IKEA in Ballymun; a short journey from Inchicore. After about 10mins, the engine suddenly lost power. At first I thought there was a strong headwind but the treetops weren't moving. The engine slowed way down and nothing happened when I pressed the gas pedal. On my way home, it kept cutting out, especially at lights and it got harder and harder to crank back up. Again, lots of expletives from cars behind me, occasionally accompanied by finger-in-the-air gestures. I was so stressed, I didn't even tell them to feck off out of that, as you do...

So, to cut a long story short, I would like the van to get a thorough service forpeace of mind but dont know any garages in Dublin as I''ve only just returned home after 40yr absence.

Any recommendations anyone; about a good garage or mechanic that is!

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bharr wrote: »
    Hi all

Anyone know of a good garage or mechanic in Dublin area to service my old 1992 Fiat Ducato 1900 Diesel in a Hymer Camp 46 van.

I drove it (her? him??) back from Bournemouth in UK a few months ago and the engine was perfect. Slow but perfect! I also went to Wexford on last bank holiday Monday and again, no complaints. At least none from me; I'm sure the long line of cars behind me on narrow winding roads uttered a few choice expletives.

Last week I went to IKEA in Ballymun; a short journey from Inchicore. After about 10mins, the engine suddenly lost power. At first I thought there was a strong headwind but the treetops weren't moving. The engine slowed way down and nothing happened when I pressed the gas pedal. On my way home, it kept cutting out, especially at lights and it got harder and harder to crank back up. Again, lots of expletives from cars behind me, occasionally accompanied by finger-in-the-air gestures. I was so stressed, I didn't even tell them to feck off out of that, as you do...

So, to cut a long story short, I would like the van to get a thorough service forpeace of mind but dont know any garages in Dublin as I''ve only just returned home after 40yr absence.

Any recommendations anyone; about a good garage or mechanic that is!

Thanks

Brian
    They are a pretty basic engine, have you checked the fuel filter for flow?
    The symptoms sound very much like fuel flow restriction.
    Sorry I can't help with a mechanic, wrong end of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bharr

Thanks

That's what I was thinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Field east

Sounds like you have not got a full service done since u got it. Did u get a maintenance record from the seller. Is there any point in going back to the seller to discuss issue . It could be something very simple.
    Re mechanic , I suggest u call in to your motor factor supplier or a number of them. They know the mechanics in the area and their experience and capabilities. Make sure u talk to somebody senior that knows the scene.
    There is a motor factor retailer near the 108 pub which is opposite Comans Pub - at the Terenure Road East/Rathgar Road Junction. The retailer is just down from the pub on Rathgar Avenue. Talk also to your contacts as to where they get their cars/vans done-especially ones with a reg similar to ur own.
    You will c a number of campers\MH parked around the city. Ask owners where they get their maintenance done.

Hope the above is of some help

Advertisement