Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational therapy advice

Options
  • 16-11-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I'm looking into doing OT I've plenty of experience in working with them so know I want to do it but what is making me apprehensive is 1. I'd like to go to Nui Galway (young family) but they have only 2 places & can't find anyone who has applied there to get some info such as is it really hard to get into to etc. 2. Is it still hard to get OT jobs in Ireland?? Has it gotten better? Have any of ye recent graduates got jobs in Ireland? I'd be greatfull for any help offered. Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Hi There,

I am an occupational therapist, graduated from TCD 3 years ago. It took me 1 1/2 years to get my first job! Things are tough but picking up I think. The trick is to get experience whether you have to volunteer or go to the UK, it is much easier to get short term contracts in Ireland if you have experience.

Out of my class of 40 I think pretty much everyone has a job now, be it through emigration (UK, Dubai, Singapore, Australia), the panel or private areas. It's a trickle system, it took a while for us all to get sorted but you will get sorted.

OT is a wonderful career, every day is different and exciting and it's so great to be able to be so creative in your work.

Best of luck, hope you pursue it!

Fiona :)

Advertisement