Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combining Nutrition with a weights programme

• 18-11-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

At the moment, I am doing a weights programme early in the mornings, on Tues and Thurs. I am looking at improving leg strength and power, on the bike. I am very light (53kgs) and I do not want any weight-loss.

Before the workout, I eat an egg, a good strong coffee (with MCT oil), small bit of porridge.

During the workout I drink just water with electrolytes - the weights workout is 45 mins in duration. It is single leg squats, individual leg press, single leg extension, single leg curl with cable, reverse lunge using cable.

As soon as I finish the workout, I drink a bottle of protein shake (powerbar or other brand).

Nutrition-wise is there anything I am missing here? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

specialCK wrote: »
    At the moment, I am doing a weights programme early in the mornings, on Tues and Thurs. I am looking at improving leg strength and power, on the bike. I am very light (53kgs) and I do not want any weight-loss.

Before the workout, I eat an egg, a good strong coffee (with MCT oil), small bit of porridge.

During the workout I drink just water with electrolytes - the weights workout is 45 mins in duration. It is single leg squats, individual leg press, single leg extension, single leg curl with cable, reverse lunge using cable.

As soon as I finish the workout, I drink a bottle of protein shake (powerbar or other brand).

Nutrition-wise is there anything I am missing here? Thanks

Without knowing anything else it would appear your not eating enough calories. My two year old daughter eats more than that for her breakfast . A single egg and a small bit of porridge is not a meal its a snack by any standard and by the sounds of it you are very active on top of that. Adequate calories and protein and you'll be good .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

How much should I eat before the workout?

My first breakfast is about 6.00am. egg, with coffee (strong) with MCT oil, porridge.
    More eggs? Large bowl of porridge?

Session is at 7:00

then a protein drink immediately after, 8:00am

My second breakfast is about two hours after my session (a scone, butter, with a full fat yogurt, nuts), 10:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My first breakfast is about 6.00am. egg, with coffee (strong) with MCT oil, porridge.

My second breakfast is about two hours after my session (a scone, butter, with a full fat yogurt, nuts), 10:00.

There's no correct amount to have before training. Your overall intake is key.

Post up a daily intake with quantities as best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Your initial concern should be getting enough calories and protein in throughout the day to assist you in your goal . Pre and post workout meals are relatively a personal preferance thing . Tbh the picture is starting to look better with your above post . If you are maintaining your weight or even gaining slight bit of weight/muscle your good if not you need to adjust accordingly its that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think he was was assuming that the 6am snack was your complete breakfast.
    You never mentioned a second breakfast.

Basically, there's no way to comment on your nutrition without knowing everything you eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

I will post up a daily food diary. I will be ramping things up in my next block, so any suggestions as to nutrition to improve strength are v welcome.

My sense is that I will need to tweak the food intake slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I will post up a daily food diary. I will be ramping things up in my next block, so any suggestions as to nutrition to improve strength are v welcome.

My sense is that I will need to tweak the food intake slightly.

I'd use MyFitnessPal as well just to make sure you're getting what you need.

You don't have to use it long term but it's useful to get a feel for what you're having on a typical day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mark D

Your definitely not eating enough man,and your work out is to needs adjusting to the whole body you would need to do a full body work out, using just the compound exercises at least twice a week, and you over all body will strengthen, do this for about 6 weeks you will see great improvements. For your pre work out meal, banana and a protein shake, post the same. Eat at least 6 time a day ensuring you get complex carbs(rice, sweet potato), protein( turkey, lean red meat, Tuna) and trans fats(almonds, avocados, seeds) and lot of green veggies!
    Bench press 4x10
    Barbell Squats 4x10
    Deadlift 4x10
    Seated row 4x10
    Shoulder press 4x10

And breakfast have a monster breakfast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mark D

Sorry that should read poly and mono fats not trans !! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Mellor wrote: »
    You never mentioned a second breakfast.

tumblr_mb2z40WKWK1reeaavo1_500.jpg

+1 on MyFitnessPal, it's great for tracking cals, and a hell of a lot easier than logging on a Google drive spreadsheet. My wife thinks i have OCD as I go scanning barcodes and logging everything I eat :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement