Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Dublin Footage - Building ID

Options
  • 18-11-2014 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

This Youtube video has some old footage of Dublin, from 1915.

Where it's linked (approx 03:19) there is a large building visible in the background.

I think it's Jervis St Hospital, but I;m unsure, it could be too far west.

Anyone any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Looks like Jervis St Hos to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Not sure but the building looks too tall to be jervis st hospital.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought it was a bit tall too, but this old drawing part of the way down this page shows a part out the back much like what can be seen in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The drawing is interesting , however it shows Jervis St as 5 stories high. Yet when the film show the building as being in the background of the buildings along bachelors walk which are 4 stories high - it looks much much taller. A puzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Looks like the Ilac centre to me..

Can't really be anything else other then Jervis st hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Old buildings down at the jameson distillery?

Doesn't look like the right place or size to be jervis street hospital

Possibly the old Dublin City Distillery?

Scroll about 3/4 the way down:
    http://www.findlaters.com/chapter6.html

image161.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

H. Brewer's drawing, while admittedly just a drawing, shows only one building of size in that location, Jervis Street Hospital (which looks like it's being extended), with the church across the road.

Actually, I've just spotted that the dome is the dome on the top of Pennys on Mary Street, so it must be the Jervis street hospital. When it pans further right the profile of the rotunda comes into view. Smog messing up all perception of distance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Amazing work guys, some excellent links and pics in this thread,

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Here's a great site I came across while looking for an old aerial photo of the Jervis Street area (didn't find one alas), but so many other delights.
    http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/photos/kf/aerial/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

some awesome pic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

subpar wrote: »
    Not sure but the building looks too tall to be jervis st hospital.
    The upper floors are / were very tall. Compare it with the four storey house next door: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3479342,-6.2671227,3a,60y,59.84h,90.18t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suGfDzBraxAhrzqZghD1PvQ!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's a brilliant video. And Eden Quay actually looks quite vibrant, unlike it is now, a dumping ground for Dublin Bus stops and junkies. Place looks funny without Liberty Hall.

Advertisement