Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Heater Timer - HELP!

Options
  • 18-11-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My water heater has gone on the blink. I don't know what has happened.

The model is: Horstmann E7Q Electric Water Heating Timer & Boost Control

Here are the facts:
    - Firstly, I don't know how to use it. It was fitted a couple of years ago and I've never done anything with it (please do not judge me too harshly)
    - It seemed to stop working after the clock change a couple of weeks ago
    - I can put it on boost and this heats the water so there's no issue there
    - The timer light is on during the night (the timer switch is on), it's just not heating the water

Under 'WINTER TIME', the time seems to be set correctly. What am I doing wrong??

I really would appreciate your help as I don't want to have to call out an electrician for something that seems as though it should easily be fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

User guide:

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/files/2713/9867/2126/user_guide_economy_7_quartz_-_E7Q.pdf

Easy enough to use. Generally there are 2 elements in the cylinder one top and one bottom. The clock 'Turns on power' automatically on timed mode when electricity is cheaper at night (Night rate tariff). This should heat the cylinder via the bottom element which in turn heats the whole cylinder from the bottom up. This will work assuming clock is correct and in the timed position and also assuming the bottom element is healthy.

The boost function can boost for up to 2 hours and generally controls the top element only (which heats small top half of water). This is used to heat a small amount of water quickly but beware as the boost function uses day rate electricity (more expensive than night rate tariff).

I'm assuming the cylinder has 2 elements (the majority do on that set-up).

If hot water is not heating at night time or will only heat on boost function then the timer or bottom element may be faulty. If this is the case then an electrician will be required to test fuse, cable, clock, element and general setup.

Advertisement