Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanging Driving Licence Problems

Options
  • 18-11-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Been in the UK a while now so looking at exchanging my Irish licence for a UK one (have an old paper version so beginning to show a lot of wear and tear and it's a requirement for work). However I'm worried if I exchange I'll have insurance problems. Basically will the licence show a new 'issue' date aka 2014 rather than when I got my Irish licence in 08. I'm worried it would look like I've only just passed my driving test and my insurance costs would skyrocket and make hiring rental cars impossible for a few years as this very thing happened to a British relative who got an Irish licence.

Anyone have experience on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hi guys,

Been in the UK a while now so looking at exchanging my Irish licence for a UK one (have an old paper version so beginning to show a lot of wear and tear and it's a requirement for work). However I'm worried if I exchange I'll have insurance problems. Basically will the licence show a new 'issue' date aka 2014 rather than when I got my Irish licence in 08. I'm worried it would look like I've only just passed my driving test and my insurance costs would skyrocket and make hiring rental cars impossible for a few years as this very thing happened to a British relative who got an Irish licence.

Anyone have experience on this?

they show the original date of passing.
    Strange that work requires it though.
    Is it for a PSV/truck or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Ah that's good news! :)

No, no it's just for a car but apparently the company insurance has issues dealing with non-UK licences. It's not big issue for me to get it changed really, also means I can keep it until I'm 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ah that's good news! :)

No, no it's just for a car but apparently the company insurance has issues dealing with non-UK licences. It's not big issue for me to get it changed really, also means I can keep it until I'm 70.

You still have to renew your licence every 10 years in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not the licence (ie the ability to drive), you have to renew the photocard. Same system is now in operation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

I don't think so,I got mine changed over today and it's valid until I'm 70!
    Just to add, my insurance company made me change mine over saying it was a legal requirement that your license address must match where you're living .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

hiscan wrote: »
    Just to add, my insurance company made me change mine over saying it was a legal requirement that your license address must match where you're living .

Yes you can drive until 70 but the licence needs to be replaced every ten years for the photocard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

hiscan wrote: »

"You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends."

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Also, it's not a legal requirement to change the licence. It may be a policy requirement but your Irish licence is valid until expiry.

"You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from another EU country until you’re 70, or for 3 years after becoming resident in Great Britain, whichever is longer."

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence/y/yes/car-or-motorcycle/european-union

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Had a look at the license and yes you're right it has to be renewed every ten years.

Her exact words were that for legal reasons the vehicle must be kept at the same address that's on your license which I said to her wasn't possible as I have an Irish license.
    Anyways it's changed now and as I'll be here for the foreseeable future it'll probably save me any hassle in the future. (I hope :P)

Advertisement