Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow your own Wasabi?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it doesn't seem like an easy plant to grow...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29082091

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

From what I know its very difficult to grow unless conditions are just right. Think it grows in riverbeds in native Japan.
    Fresh wasabi is worth a pretty penny though!

I think I might chance growing one, would be a bit of fun :)

gouche wrote: »

it is??? never knew that. mmm

( ponders possible fortune to be made...)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jake1 wrote: »
    it is??? never knew that. mmm

( ponders possible fortune to be made...)

;)

Yeah, the proper stuff is very dear. Outside of Japan the wasabi you get is often horseradish and food colouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

gouche wrote: »
    From what I know its very difficult to grow unless conditions are just right. Think it grows in riverbeds in native Japan.

Yes it is. I visited a wasabi farm several years ago. It needs cold clear clean water, so melting snow or glaciers is ideal. This is in Nagano prefecture...

1674807886_3e0801e11a_n_zpsd15d0c3f.jpg

I have four or five more photos on Flickr, but am having trouble saving them to Photobucket. Is there a technique to share Flickr photos individually????

P.S. I don't know why they're covered like that....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Advertisement