Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

band for supposedly thread jacking!!

Options
  • 18-11-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was replying to a post on Airsoft Adverts offering my AEG in a trade for the one on the add,
    When I said that all the details of 'my AEG was over on my other thread (CA SL8/9 for trade) I received a message from Deburca saying I was band for a day for thread jacking but hheres no possible way I could have been as the SL8 was traded a while back!!
    When I said this to the mod he came back saying I offered it to the wrong user on the thread,
    Now while I can see that being a possibility as its fairly easy make that mistake by tapping the wrong reply button and easier to do whilst using a dodgy phone.. And the same. Applies to posting more theor once as iv been accused of but I have no way of seeing this because when you get a ban you're blocked from viewing the thread, but if I did post more than once I was more then lightly making an offer and following up with additional information of questions!!
    But my dispute is: this is hardly something to get a ban for with out even a warning!!
    Iv been on boards a while now and. Id like to think that I'm playing by the rules to the best of my abilities.. Of course iv made mistakes here ans there and toke my infractions but they WERE as I said Mistakes on MY behalf.

this ban seems a bit mutch though... if not a bit personal!!!

John.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry for the delay in getting to this. I realise the ban is now over, but I will have a look at it anyway. First though, did you make any attempt to resolve this directly with the mod?

I would also just add that of course it is possible to get a ban without a warning. That may be as a result of the severity of the infringement or a user's history. I am not suggesting either of those is relevant in your case at this stage as I have not had a chance to have a look at the sequence of events

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Nerovad

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I contacted the mod through pm. And explained my case as best as I could.. Pointing out that it was just a matter of getting the user's on the thread mixed up and I also contacted the user's and explained what happened and apologized.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll try and have a look at this hopefully some time this evening

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, I'll try and have a look at this hopefully some time this evening

That's great, thanks for that.

John.

OK, I've spent a bit of time looking at the background here

Firstly, as you say you have been on Boards a while now - in 3 years you have made less than 10 posts outside the Airsoft Adverts sub-forum, so you should certainly have a full understanding of the rules there. In that time though you have still managed to pick up various cards and bans in the forum, which as I've already mentioned can certainly be taken into account when taking further mod actions

As you mentioned, the mod stated the ban was for thread jacking. From the forum charter
    What is thread-jacking?
    There are two forms of thread-jacking:
    • Offering your item on someone else's for-sale or for-trade ad.
      This is strictly forbidden. If you have something for sale then create your own ad for it or offer it on a wanted ad.
    • Posting an offer on an item on someone else's wanted thread is forbidden.
      If you see an item being offered on someone else's wanted ad and you are interested in it, you must not post on their ad to say so.
      In this case, you have several options:
      1. If the person offering the item has a for-sale or for-trade ad then you may post an offer there.
      2. You can create your own wanted ad for the item and hope that they offer you the item.
      3. If the item in the other persons ad (and any other ad it may have been offered in) is rejected and none of the above options apply then you may contact the person who offered it by PM. In that case the trading rules of this forum do not apply and you are on your own as far as conducting the trade goes.
    The question therefore is could your post(s) within the thread in question be considered "thread jacking". If they could then in my view, given your overall record within the forum a 1 day ban was entirely reasonable.

So were you thread jacking?

I need to consider further the flow of the thread, which can be seen here
    Your first contribution was on 19 September when you offered your SL8 in return. The OP responded that he was only interested in cash

You returned to the thread on 2 October to state your offer still stood. The OP never responded but another user did, expressing an interest in the OP's item.

Now this is the critical point for me as you responded within the thread to that 3rd party stating:
    Nerovad wrote: »
    Hi James, I have a fully upgraded m4 shorty if you're interested??

If you want pics and info just let me know,

Thanks.

Essentially you were turning the OP's thread into a discussion on your "m4" with a 3rd party. That is exactly the sort of thing envisaged in the first example of thread jacking set out in the charter. You were offerring your item on someone else's FS/exchange ad.

In the circumstances I am seeing no reason to overturn the mod's decision

• Advertisement

On my last post to u I pointed out that I Accidentally mixed up my post as I hit the wrong post button.. One post.. James k was beside the post started by... The guy selling the gun. (sorry I cant remember his name now) but I just hit the wrong reply! NOW this was a Genuine Accident! And I had ABSOLUTELY No intention on messing with someone's thread! It was accidental.
    I explained this to the mod and apologized to the 2 guys involved.. as I mentioned already!
    Id like to think that boards dont Punish people for making a mistake..
    I have gotten infractions in the past but most were double posts a(dodgy phone/buffering/double tapping a button!)
    And some were just down to my own lack of attention!
    Which I took the information for in good faith and apologized for MY mistake.

Bottom line.. Anyone with the experience that Deburca has on my posts would have known I just made a mistake! We all make mistakes.
    By the way.. The only mods that have given me informations is Dogwatch and the mod in question!
    If I deliberatepy thread jacked I assure u.. I wouldn't have followed this ban up!

Id like to think that boards dont Punish people for making a mistake..
    We only have your word it was a mistake. Now I have no experience of your posting beyond what happened in that thread and your various other charter breaches. If I accept the "it was a mistake" argument then posters could start using that in other appeals. The local mod did not accept that "defence", and I would need to be seeing something inherently wrong in their decision to overturn it

Bottom line is, whether intentional or not, your posts fell within the definition of thread-jacking in the charter and hence breached the charter. The local mod decided not to give you the benefit of any doubt and, particularly given your wider record within the forum, I am not seeing any reason to overturn that decision.

I am therefore upholding the 1 day ban (which, as it has been served, cannot be overturned regardless). You may ask for an Admin review of this decision if you wish

While I can completely understand the issue with other users dieing the "mistake" excuse Im being honest about it I cant imagine the other users would go to the trouble of contacting the people from the threads in question and explain their actions as I've done.
    That said as you say you only have my word on it!! Would my word not be good enough as a user of boards or is there a trust issue?
    I know if you restart going back on mods decisions other users might sooner question That more so then. The mistake thing!!
    I wouldn't have went to this complaint thread if I was in the wrong.. Or if I knew it would be so one sided!

Any as disappointing as your decision is.. Il respect it.

Regards, John.

Any as disappointing as your decision is.. Il respect it.
    Thanks for that - this appeal can therefore be marked as resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement