Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KERRY Pubs & Restaurants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I call down to Tralee now and again but I usually go to Gally's for Lunch. It's been superb every time I've visited.

I've been to Bailey's corner and thought it was fine.

Spa Seafood Restaurant looks a good place to go? Any others worth looking at?
    Spa Seafood's is my favourite, though there are many excellent restaurants in the area including O'Donnell's of Mounthawk, Oyster in Spa, Tankard in Kilfenora, and The West End in Feint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Spa Seafood's is my favourite, though there are many excellent restaurants in the area including O'Donnell's of Mounthawk, Oyster in Spa, Tankard in Kilfenora, and The West End in Feint.

Thanks, will try and make some of those :)

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah some time over the summer. Never been to a boards meet up so would be nice to put some faces to the people you talk to/debate/help/argue with.

You seem like the tapas expert Del so over to you for set up :pac:

Cheers dobman !

Yes a summer evening. If I am not away , it would be great to meet up.

After all these years it would be interesting to meet some faces..........

The only person I have ever met is Carchaeologist who is a very pleasant gent.

First we need a show of hands from all the boys and girls on the thread and suggested dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Gosh that is rather disappointing. Seems rather short sighted for business person to lose 2 customers over €2!! Can a slice of gluten bread be that expensive????
    I have been in the place for breakfast during hols.and was a nice setup.

Food is good and they have a great Club Sandwich. But the attitude of the owner regarding a complaint.........:mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I was talking to a friend earlier she told me a new Chinese opened in kenmare, she is planning in booking a table the weekend. The owner has another one and is meant to be very nice. Hope to try it when im down next month. Anyone try it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I know it might not be to everyone's taste, but I LOVE Eddie Rockets, I always have. We went to the one in Killarney on Friday. It was really busy, and staff seem really nice & efficient. Wish it would open in Tralee!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Like it but wicked expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah I'm an ER fan too but as my brother says. Eddie Rockets eats your pockets. I stopped going to the one in Killarney after 3 bad experiences. Will still pop in for a burger when away somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Like it but wicked expensive...

Empty Pockets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

for what we ate it didn't seem too expensive! We used to go as a treat in Dublin when we were kids, we always loved it! I always remember the chicken wings being our favourite!

We noticed a little Mexican restaurant near the carpark, near where the restaurant Dyne is (sorry not sure of name of that carpark). Has anyone eaten in this Mexican? it looks like a bit of a shack from the outside, but we were intrigued as to what it is like.
    Did that place Dyne used to be the pay what you want restaurant?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

I like Eddie Rockets too, some very tasty food there. I know its not the cheapest but I don't go there often and sure we could be dead in the morning and worrying about saving a few euro isn't worth it.

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    I like Eddie Rockets too, some very tasty food there. I know its not the cheapest but I don't go there often and sure we could be dead in the morning and worrying about saving a few euro isn't worth it.

exactly! its a treat for us, we don't go out much and rarely eat out! I love their milkshakes, so tasty!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    exactly! its a treat for us, we don't go out much and rarely eat out! I love their milkshakes, so tasty!!

Yea they are really nice, I dont think there is anything on the menu I don't like and that includes the desserts. We go as a treat too, I know one can get a €6 meal deal in those kebab shop places but the food is pure manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

for what we ate it didn't seem too expensive! We used to go as a treat in Dublin when we were kids, we always loved it! I always remember the chicken wings being our favourite!

We noticed a little Mexican restaurant near the carpark, near where the restaurant Dyne is (sorry not sure of name of that carpark). Has anyone eaten in this Mexican? it looks like a bit of a shack from the outside, but we were intrigued as to what it is like.

Casita Mexicana. Fantastic! It is a bit on the expensive side but the portions are generous and the owner is one of the friendliest ladies I've ever met. Her husband is the chef so it's a real family run type feel to it. Definitely try it, you will not be disappointed.

Casita Mexicana. Nice. Different to your regular steak, lamb or fish fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Casita Mexicana. Fantastic! It is a bit on the expensive side but the portions are generous and the owner is one of the friendliest ladies I've ever met. Her husband is the chef so it's a real family run type feel to it. Definitely try it, you will not be disappointed.

Would agree 100% on this - definitely recommend.

A few that come to me:

For Steak: Cronins, Killarney. Easily the best steak I've had in awhile, no place compares at that price range.

Chowder: Boatyard Restaurant & Bar, Dingle: Went there last summer and the chowder was divine. Lovely view of the harbour also.

Takeaway/Fast Food: Usually go to Allegro in Tralee for a hangover good grills.
    Quinlans seafood is much nicer in Killarney than Tralee where you can actually sit down and have more options like salad sides.

Pub Grub: The Junction Bar, Camp: A real gem, a great place to visit on a cold winters night. Been here a few times, the food and service is top notch. Check the reviews on trip advisor ;-)

Irish_rat wrote: »
    A few that come to me:

For Steak: Cronins, Killarney. Easily the best steak I've had in awhile, no place compares at that price range.

Chowder: Boatyard Restaurant & Bar, Dingle: Went there last summer and the chowder was divine. Lovely view of the harbour also.

Takeaway/Fast Food: Usually go to Allegro in Tralee for a hangover good grills.
    Quinlans seafood is much nicer in Killarney than Tralee where you can actually sit down and have more options like salad sides.

Pub Grub: The Junction Bar, Camp: A real gem, a great place to visit on a cold winters night. Been here a few times, the food and service is top notch. Check the reviews on trip advisor ;-)

Was in Junction Bar this pm with some friends. Wow what a gem. Lots of beetles , VW's !!!!

What's the best restaurants in the listowel area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Allos in listowel is a must.. Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Allos in listowel is a must.. Excellent.

Casa Mia (though its been a long time since i ate there) and the Horseshoe are the two best.

the last four times that ive eaten in Listowel has been in the Horseshoe as there is something about it that i like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Any suggestions for a good lunch in kenmare? Not soup and sandwiches, more like seafood. The internet is not being my friend. Can't tell what is open for bloomin lunch, do the good restaurants just open at night?

pwurple wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a good lunch in kenmare? Not soup and sandwiches, more like seafood. The internet is not being my friend. Can't tell what is open for bloomin lunch, do the good restaurants just open at night?

Well, couldn't find much. Tried Davitts and O'donnabhains after asking locals in a couple of shops. No-one could think of any place that was open for lunch except those two. Both were soup and sandwich kinda pubs. O'donnabhains was a bit odd. Had a huge menu, but I suspect all was ready-meal type reheat and serve stuff. Two pasta dishes on the menu, but couldn't do pasta without the sauce for a toddler.

We also tried out the boathouse in Dromquinna. Food there was amazing! Great views. Pity about kenmare itself. So much great stuff available at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Never saw your post so this is probably no use now but I only ate in Kenmare once and it was at Coachmans in the middle of the town, was really, really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Did you try the Purple Heather,or Jam?Or the new place where Prago was,for fresh seafood,pasta,or salads???
    Probably three of the best lunch menus in the county!
    If you want meat and two veg lunch,the Atlantic or Foleys are hard to beat,all I can say is whoever you met,mustn't be local!!

Well, I'll be back down to kenmare a bit, and it's business lunches, so I was scoping out the options.

Didn't find the purple heather. Where is it?

Jam is a chain right? Like o'briens? Sandwiches etc. or at least it looks very like the ones in Cork anyway. I wasn't looking for that kind of food this time. No interest in queuing with a tray for a sandwich with a pile of kids hanging off me this time, or bringing a client there for that. I'd be morto. We were just looking for table service, sit down, hot food, in a restaurant. Not a cafe.

"The new place where Prago was" doesn't give me much info to go on. Help me out here. Name? street? What does it look like?

And I mean... If meat and two veg or a sandwich is all there is, i guess it would do. But is there any decent restaurant open during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

pwurple wrote: »
    Well, I'll be back down to kenmare a bit, and it's business lunches, so I was scoping out the options.

Didn't find the purple heather. Where is it?

Jam is a chain right? Like o'briens? Sandwiches etc. or at least it looks very like the ones in Cork anyway. I wasn't looking for that kind of food this time. No interest in queuing with a tray for a sandwich with a pile of kids hanging off me this time, or bringing a client there for that. I'd be morto. We were just looking for table service, sit down, hot food, in a restaurant. Not a cafe.

"The new place where Prago was" doesn't give me much info to go on. Help me out here. Name? street? What does it look like?

And I mean... If meat and two veg or a sandwich is all there is, i guess it would do. But is there any decent restaurant open during the day?

There's much more than sandwiches to Jam,and no,three outlets, does not make a chain!
    The Purple Heather is on the same street,up about a hundred yards on the opposite side to Jam across the road from what was Prego!!!
    Kenmare is only a small town,and tries to cater for everyone,including the decerning diner.
    I believe ALL eateries open during the day to be "decent restaurants"

Bon Appitit!!!!

invicta wrote: »
    I believe ALL eateries open during the day to be "decent restaurants"

Kenmare is a great town, and does absolutely amazing food, but sorry invicta... Just because it's open does not make it suitable for every occasion. That's a really odd thing to say tbh. Would you bring your mum to the local chippy for birthday lunch? Seeing as it's open and all.

I'll have a go at finding the place a hundred yards in either direction away from jam, on the same or other side of the road. Thanks!

So, I found Purple Heather. Nice pub, very casual again. I had the seafood soup and a toasty.

The soup was delicious tomato and crab based one, but we were picking loads of bits of shell out of our mouths, and my companion chipped a tooth. The crab meat obviously had not been picked over properly. Couldn't bring someone there really. Across the road from it is a hairdresser. Next to that is a vacant unit, and a pet shop on the otherside. No sign of what was prego. I tried though.

Ended up trying Kenmare Park hotel as well... Expensive, but impressed with the service there. That one is suitable for a business lunch.

• Advertisement

We ate in Benners, Tralee at the weekend. Food was lovely, couldn't fault it and they had plenty of side dishes for us.

Would definitely eat there again.

Advertisement