Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entertaining dog in heat

• 18-11-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

My dog has just come into heat and I am not too sure how I should exercise her? I usually bring her on walks where we would meet a lot of other dogs so that is out.
    This is her second heat but on the first she was younger and easier to tire out playing at home. Now she is a year and 4 months and she is crazy hyper without her walks!!!

Is it ok to walk her outside where there are other dogs or should I keep her confined?

I will be getting her neutered once she is fully grown so it wont be an ongoing problem!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I walked my dog when she was in heat but very early and in the evenings where I knew we wouldn't meet any other dogs. The odd time we did see another dog I crossed the road with her. I didn't have any problems with dogs following us out on the street so having her wee around the corner wasn't a problem - some people say to drive where you're going to walk so the dog doesn't leave a scent trail back to your house. I would definitely NOT go to a park when it's open and full of dogs because you're just asking for trouble - it's unfair on your dog as well as the other dogs and their owners imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would bring her out in the car to walk her away from home, so that you're not leaving a trail back to your house that the local Lotharios can follow.
    Walk her on-lead only. Do not let her off lead at all. If she needs a runaround, stick a harness on her with a long line. But do not let her off lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

DBB wrote: »
    I would bring her out in the car to walk her away from home, so that you're not leaving a trail back to your house that the local Lotharios can follow.
    Walk her on-lead only. Do not let her off lead at all. If she needs a runaround, stick a harness on her with a long line. But do not let her off lead!

She is always on lead so that is not a problem! I used to walk local and was worried about dogs following the scent so I will drive her out for her walks. I am hoping not to upset any males while keeping her exercised and happy. We have a neutered male at home and he is tormented by her... soon as she sees him she is sticking her ass in his face and pinning him to the wall (she is sticking her ass at me too all the time!) ... we are keeping them separate for now because he will try to hump too

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Agree with the above, we live in the countryside so very rarely we meet another dog, but i still prefer to walk her earlier than usual, or later in the evening. Going to popular walking places is a no go at that time. However always keep her on lead, just in case, my bitch is normally very obedient, but when in season she tends to be a bit "off". If you have a secure garden, you could play fetch to tire her out more quickly, or hide a toy and make her look for it, teaching her tricks would also be an option. And I'm sure you're aware, but don't leave her unattended even if you have a secure garden, as dogs are known to climb fences etc. to get to a bitch in season, so be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I'd agree with driving her somewhere to walk too though be aware that you may still attract unwanted attention. they just can't follow you home! I took mine out early morning and late night and still had dogs just appear out of nowhere! I remember one of them seemed to be following her scent rather than us so I confused him and bought us some extra time by keeping crossing the road and in and out of grass etc :D He still eventually made it to our door though... 3 days in a row scratching at our front door! :eek: found out his own house was a mile and a half away. we had at least 3 other extra canine visitors to our front garden that week and a neighbours dog chewed through his own fence to get out.

Also be extra careful even when she is on lead . Mine slipped her collar one night.... oh the memory of seeing my in heat dog disappearing off into the dark :eek: Thankfully she stopped at the first car she found to sniff it's wheels and I caught her again.
    I can't remember how I entertained her to be honest but do remember a horribly stressful few weeks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement