Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Breathable" Contact Lenses

• 18-11-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else have difficulty when switching from the old conventional contact lenses to the new breathable ones?

I had to switch recently because my old brand was being dicontinued. I never had any problems and had been wearing my previous monthly disposable contacts for over ten years.

These new "breathable" ones feel uncomfortable. I'm having to constantly rub my eyes to be able to focus properly and even when I'm wearing them, everything is blurred. These things are costing me more than my previous trouble-free contact lenses. The brand is Biofinity.

Anyone else have trouble when switching to breathables?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Did anyone else have difficulty when switching from the old conventional contact lenses to the new breathable ones?

I had to switch recently because my old brand was being dicontinued. I never had any problems and had been wearing my previous monthly disposable contacts for over ten years.

These new "breathable" ones feel uncomfortable. I'm having to constantly rub my eyes to be able to focus properly and even when I'm wearing them, everything is blurred. These things are costing me more than my previous trouble-free contact lenses. The brand is Biofinity.

Anyone else have trouble when switching to breathables?

The more breathable ones are a slightly stiffer material (due to having silicone in them) which can lead to you being a bit more aware of them initially. This should pass though. Are you wearing toric lenses? How long have you been wearing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Daisies wrote: »
    The more breathable ones are a slightly stiffer material (due to having silicone in them) which can lead to you being a bit more aware of them initially. This should pass though. Are you wearing toric lenses? How long have you been wearing them?

I'm not wearing toric lenses. I used to wear one in my left eye for a while for astigmatism but it drove me crackers.

I've been using the breathables about two weeks now. Eyes feel very tired after I take them out and when I wake in the mornings, although the last couple of days have seen a slight improvement. I'm still having sight issues though. Is it possible that a stronger prescription might be required for breathables when compared to non-breathables?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm not wearing toric lenses. I used to wear one in my left eye for a while for astigmatism but it drove me crackers.

I've been using the breathables about two weeks now. Eyes feel very tired after I take them out and when I wake in the mornings, although the last couple of days have seen a slight improvement. I'm still having sight issues though. Is it possible that a stronger prescription might be required for breathables when compared to non-breathables?

It's possible the prescription may need to be altered slightly. If you are still having issues I would go back to your optometrist and get them to have a look at your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Prescription should be the same? What base curve size are you using? Many contact lense problems are because the lenses are too snug a fit causing dry eye and other problems. I'm used to wearing an 8.6 in focus dailies but am switching to Acuvue Oasys and will get the 8.8 bc size in them.

I have been talking regularly to an eye rehab doctor in New York and he recommends always trying the looser fit first, and if their comfortable then stick with that size. Too snug a fit will eventually play havoc according to him and is actually driving people towards Lasik too.

Gingko wrote: »
    Prescription should be the same? What base curve size are you using? Many contact lense problems are because the lenses are too snug a fit causing dry eye and other problems. I'm used to wearing an 8.6 in focus dailies but am switching to Acuvue Oasys and will get the 8.8 bc size in them.

I have been talking regularly to an eye rehab doctor in New York and he recommends always trying the looser fit first, and if their comfortable then stick with that size. Too snug a fit will eventually play havoc according to him and is actually driving people towards Lasik too.

To be honest base curve in soft lenses does not have a huge effect on the vast majority of people. The fit is more determined by the material of the various contact lenses. For instance I can tell you that focus dailies are a tighter fit than most other contact lenses, even than the Oasys 8.4.

• Advertisement

To be honest base curve in soft lenses does not have a huge effect on the vast majority of people. The fit is more determined by the material of the various contact lenses. For instance I can tell you that focus dailies are a tighter fit than most other contact lenses, even than the Oasys 8.4.

Interesting comment on the focus dailies. I am in the process of switching over to Acuvue Oasys and I'll try the 8.8 first. If no joy then I''ll consider Lasik as I have now known of 9 people to have had it done and all are 100%, I'm also a very suitable candidate.

The eye rehab clinic in the states still maintains that the base curve is an important factor in all lenses.

Interesting comment on the focus dailies. I am in the process of switching over to Acuvue Oasys and I'll try the 8.8 first. If no joy then I''ll consider Lasik as I have now known of 9 people to have had it done and all are 100%, I'm also a very suitable candidate.

The eye rehab clinic in the states still maintains that the base curve is an important factor in all lenses.

Theoretically it is a factor but practically, in the vast majority of people, it has very little influence. Eg changing someone from an 8.5 to 8.6 base curve in a soft contact lens will have practically no influence on the fit in comparison to doing that on a hard contact lens. The composition of the lens material has a bigger role to play IME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

In my case, I had absolutely no problem with my previous "unhealthy" contacts. I can't help feeling I'm being screwed for more money with the threat of my previous contacts being "bad for me", when the breathables are giving me far more grief than the "hazardous" contacts could ever do.

In my case, I had absolutely no problem with my previous "unhealthy" contacts. I can't help feeling I'm being screwed for more money with the threat of my previous contacts being "bad for me", when the breathables are giving me far more grief than the "hazardous" contacts could ever do.

Trusty me the more breathable ones are so much better for your eyes.

Trusty me the more breathable ones are so much better for your eyes.

Yea they would have to be when you think about it? I'm going to order the Oasys 2 weekly lenses this week and try them out. As I said before I use 8.6bc in the Focus Dailies and visiondirect recommended the 8.4 in the Oasys but I'm swaying towards the 8.8 after other advise. If they fit comfortably then happy days!

Their both healthier and cheaper then the focus dailies. By the way "Daisies", I see your a moderator here, are you involved in optical healthcare?

• Advertisement

Yea they would have to be when you think about it? I'm going to order the Oasys 2 weekly lenses this week and try them out. As I said before I use 8.6bc in the Focus Dailies and visiondirect recommended the 8.4 in the Oasys but I'm swaying towards the 8.8 after other advise. If they fit comfortably then happy days!

Their both healthier and cheaper then the focus dailies. By the way "Daisies", I see your a moderator here, are you involved in optical healthcare?

Yup. I'm an optometrist.

Yup. I'm an optometrist.

Good to hear! So what ye reckon re the Oasys? Presume same prescription (-3 both), but you think the 8.4bc will do yea?

Good to hear! So what ye reckon re the Oasys? Presume same prescription (-3 both), but you think the 8.4bc will do yea?

I can't judge without seeing the lenses on your eyes, no one can. If you are considering changing go have a contact lens fit with your optometrist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'm currently using the specsavers brand breathable daily contact lenses, they are absolutely crap (in my opinion) compared to Oasys Activue two-weekly lenses, which I've been using for years. I've decided to just take the plunge and go for surgery - not sure why it's taken me so long!

I'm currently using the specsavers brand breathable daily contact lenses, they are absolutely crap (in my opinion) compared to Oasys Activue two-weekly lenses, which I've been using for years. I've decided to just take the plunge and go for surgery - not sure why it's taken me so long![/QU

I have looked a lot into surgery recently. Wellington Clinic, Optilase and Optical Express. I decided if I was to have it done then it would be through Optilase. Their consultation / examination is just as thorough as the Wellington clinic. Their main surgeon is very experienced and has an excellent record second to none.

They have a 15% discount at the moment and are cheaper then other two. I wasn't comfortable with Optical Express personally, but I do know of two people to have had the surgery there and are both delighted. The chances of something going wrong are very very slim though.

Optilase have already been operating here for over 10 years and have recently expanded. They have lifetime cover! The procedures... Lasik has been around for over 16 years, Lasek for over 25 years. I have known of 11 people to have had laser done and all are 100%!

I may try the Oasys lenses first from a monetary point of view but if they don't work out then I'm joining the Lasik club too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Forgewire

So have you done it or Oasys worked for you?

Advertisement