Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Celica 1998 3S-GE

Options
  • 18-11-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. I recently bought a Toyota Celica 1998 Beams 3S-GE 200bhp Jap import.

I want to modify this car but before I do I want her looking well.

Does anyone know where I can get jap parts for exterior and interior ie. trims, seals and other small pieces ?

If you know where to get good parts to modify the engine that would be good too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

scrap yards maybe for in trim,as for the engine toyota have already tuned it pretty well so to get any more out of it be ready to drop a few grand easy,or cheap pep is fuel treatment and a full service using high quality plugs,inductin kit(sounds great on that engine i have one in a mr2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Try toyota direct, my friend restored his AE 111 back to standard using OEM Toyota parts, the garage had no problem getting parts even though it was JDM, parts werent too expensive either.

As for the engine after you have it running right start with the basic bolt-ons I/H/E , I see a fair few of these come up for breaking on groups on FB and Enthusiast sites, well worth keeping an eye out for some JDM goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

toyotaownersclub-irl.com should offer a great knowledge of these cars and who is breaking/ selling what :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celica3SGE

vinnie13 wrote: »
    scrap yards maybe for in trim,as for the engine toyota have already tuned it pretty well so to get any more out of it be ready to drop a few grand easy,or cheap pep is fuel treatment and a full service using high quality plugs,inductin kit(sounds great on that engine i have one in a mr2)

My friend has two Celicas in the scrap yard I'll start with them, I've put the high performance plugs into it along with the oil but what do you mean fuel treatment ? Like an additional mixture ? I use dip 10 to clean out the injectors but that's about it.

I'm fond of the MR2 my friend had one a while back. Do you know if its hard to drop a turbo into it ? Could it be a youtube n time effort thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celica3SGE

projectgtr wrote: »
    Try toyota direct, my friend restored his AE 111 back to standard using OEM Toyota parts, the garage had no problem getting parts even though it was JDM, parts werent too expensive either.

As for the engine after you have it running right start with the basic bolt-ons I/H/E , I see a fair few of these come up for breaking on groups on FB and Enthusiast sites, well worth keeping an eye out for some JDM goodies.

Thanks, that toyota direct looks very useful ! As everyone i'd be looking for the parts to be a little cheaper :) I don't actually know what bolt-ons I/H/E is/are but I will be looking into this as I am only new to studying the mechanical side of cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Celica3SGE wrote: »
    My friend has two Celicas in the scrap yard I'll start with them, I've put the high performance plugs into it along with the oil but what do you mean fuel treatment ? Like an additional mixture ? I use dip 10 to clean out the injectors but that's about it.

I'm fond of the MR2 my friend had one a while back. Do you know if its hard to drop a turbo into it ? Could it be a youtube n time effort thing ?

the plugs and a few service bits cleaning and inspecting parts for wear should make her run sweet as a nut,yeah anything like dip 10 every so often helps keep it running well.

drop a turbo into the celica?i am not to sure about that,i joined the mr2 owners uk there is a wealth of info on it some of them might be able to give you exact details of what you will need,i have found it great so far.

sounds like it would be some car to move with a turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Celica3SGE wrote: »
    Thanks, that toyota direct looks very useful ! As everyone i'd be looking for the parts to be a little cheaper :) I don't actually know what bolt-ons I/H/E is/are but I will be looking into this as I am only new to studying the mechanical side of cars.

I/H/E is Intake, Headers , Exhaust . Dont be afraid of checking directly with Toyota for parts, they can be very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The BEAMS engine is already highly tuned, and there's not a lot of headroom there to play with, not without changing camshafts and possibly pistons/rods. There was a JDM racing series with the NA 3S-GE engine in MR2s tuned for about 260-280bhp, but they were not suitable as road cars at all, idling at 3k and needing a lot of blueprinting and balancing of components to rev up between 9 and 10k.

It would be cheaper to get a rear clip from a tuned rev3 turbo MR2 to do a complete engine swap, and changing anything needed before dropping it into the car. The blocks are regarded as near their limit between 350 and 400bhp - the blocks start to crack at about that power level without a *lot* of work.

The other option is to drop the 2.4 V6 engine from the Camry into the car, pretty much bolt-in. Much nicer to drive in most conditions given there's a lot more torque at lower revs and you don't need to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere.

If you had the cash, the v6 twinturbo from the exige could also drop in...

Advertisement