Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pointy shoes on men

• 18-11-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

What are people's opinions on pointed formal shoes for men. I bought a pair recently but my OH doesn't like them on me. Apparently, they don't look masculine!! I think they look smart and go well with slimmer fit dark trousers. While I don't see many guys wearing them, am I in the minority liking them?? :)

The picture below is similarly pointed to the pair I bought although mine have a flatter heel. Mine had laces as well.

http://www.shuperb.co.uk/images/products/1332781086-13581800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Wear them if you like them!
    I'm not a fan to be honest, I'm not sure what it is about them (although it's not a masculine v feminine thing for me) but I would be fairly strongly of the belief that if you like a particular style/garment/whatever, you should wear it and fek the begrudgers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am not a fan of very pointy shoes but they have to be a bit pointy. I think round toed or square toed shoes feel extremely dated and clunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I like them! I hate the look of square toed shoes on men- think it reminds me of the shoes boys in school had to wear...never been able to see them as stylish since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Big no no for men!! Go for a good pair of brogues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think if they're too pointy and you have big feet, they tend to look huge - like clown's shoes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

DonFred wrote: »
    Big no no for men!! Go for a good pair of brogues.

Some brogues can look awfully clunky.
    And some 'pointy' shoes look far too pointy.
    The blank shoe the OP attached has no detail and I wouldnt be a fan of it.
    Personally, I like an 'inbetween' shoe, that has the point, but the details (some anyway) of a brogue style.
    Like the below:
    HASU_28_RG_324.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I bought some online recently and they were way pointier than I was expecting...did not like :D

These bad boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm not a fan of pointy shoes in general, male or female. I wouldn't terribly like your shoes, but it's not a "masculine" thing. I just think pointy shoes look weird.

However, if you like them, and you think they look good with an outfit, then wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I think very round toes on men or women (except in ballet flats) or very square toes just don't look very elegant. If you want to get shoes with a suit I'd wear an elongated rounded or square toe. I've rarely seen pointy look good on a guy and personally I think they look a bit weird, very elfen. I'm kinda inclined to think they tend to look cheap and nasty, too. Gives off the impression of a red neck who got their annual scrub and put on "De Gud Suit" tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Defnitely nothing wrong with pointy shoes for men. The shoes linked in the OP are fine but maybe just a tad "too pointy" for my own tastes and I think pointier shoes lend better to a shade of brown as opposed to black.

Yeah. While I like pointy shoes, I like the slightly elongated ones not extreme points (I have a feeling the op's shoes would be slightly too pointy for me but I can't tell from picture). But I do wonder where were people buying men's suit shoes that are not pointy the last few years. Everything of decent quality that is not plastic and made by Dunne's stores that I saw has a bit of a point.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yeah. While I like pointy shoes, I like the slightly elongated ones not extreme points (I have a feeling the op's shoes would be slightly too pointy for me but I can't tell from picture). But I do wonder where were people buying men's suit shoes that are not pointy the last few years. Everything of decent quality that is not plastic and made by Dunne's stores that I saw has a bit of a point.

I've seen lots of pointy (yeuck), a bit of square (also yeuck) and predominantly tapered shoes. Tapered are where it's at.

I saw mostly this style in smart shoes, especially Italian brands.

http://www.spartoo.eu/mobile/Barker-DVORAK-x133099.php?anchor=1#haut_prodcard

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

Depends on your age group - what age group are you?

i.e. OK on 20-35 i.e. suggest immaturity to conservative old me . . .

Shoes are really, really important. The amount of men that I see letting down a beautiful suit with a terrible pair of shoes . . .

I feel that shoes tell an awful lot about us . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Some brogues can look awfully clunky.
    And some 'pointy' shoes look far too pointy.
    The blank shoe the OP attached has no detail and I wouldnt be a fan of it.
    Personally, I like an 'inbetween' shoe, that has the point, but the details (some anyway) of a brogue style.
    Like the below:
    HASU_28_RG_324.JPG

Jesus Christ what is this fascination blokes have with tan brogues?

Brogues with jeans....ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

EganTheMan wrote: »
    Depends on your age group - what age group are you?

i.e. OK on 20-35 i.e. suggest immaturity to conservative old me . . .

Shoes are really, really important. The amount of men that I see letting down a beautiful suit with a terrible pair of shoes . . .

I feel that shoes tell an awful lot about us . . .

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 21 180Bhoy

Perri Winkle pickers we call them haha you can kill spiders in corners ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Pointy shoes are a bit strange looking,something not right about them,I think they're amusing especially when certain people wear them,oh lord it's just gas

• Registered Users Posts: 21 180Bhoy

I've seen many an itinerant where them with a tracksuit pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Really really not. Throw them out, or bring them back. Really. Seriously.

Always go with the classic style of a rounded, flat toe. This style:

9713055.jpg

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=68283327

And if you are wearing formal shoes, for god's sake polish them. I see so many guys walking around, in suits, with shoes that scuffed and unpolished. The shoes are normally pointy as well, for what its worth! :)

But these above are pointy.

meeeeh wrote: »
    But these above are pointy.

No they aren't. They're round, but they aren't "pointy", like what the OP is on about. There's a big difference.

No they aren't. They're round, but they aren't "pointy", like what the OP is on about. There's a big difference.

They're tapered and elegant. What the OP is talking about is chavvy and best seen only on "The Accused".

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to take someone seriously wearing pointy shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I call them 'Airtricity' shoes

Doom wrote: »
    I call them 'Airtricity' shoes

Ha! Exactly. With an ill fitting silver / grey suit and spikey hair / weird fringe combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

sansuiya_l2785-c-bk_2

These are some weapons, you could do damage with them.

Advertisement