Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds; another planning application

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Coltard wrote: »
    This is irrelevant, happened years ago and subsequently McDonalds have changed the ingredients.

Yes exactly! and Ireland and also the UK are different than across the pond

There Beef is Board Bia Approved.

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/food_quality/about_our_food/our_beef.html

And alot of there Ingredients Irish
    http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/food_quality/about_our_food/irish_produce.html

Its a fast food restuarant at the end of the day your not going to get your organic angus bluecheese and artisan bun burger here, you know what your getting the Calories are on the board and the nutritional information is on the food packaging and on the back of paper on the tray there not hiding anything does the local chipper or chinese or coffee shop display the nutritional value of there products?

Theres more calories in a bag of crisps than the Nuggets.

If i had kids and they where going to McDonalds after school i would be asking where they got the money cause it wouldnt be from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I see there was a meeting upstairs in the happy pair last night about how to oppose mcdonalds. Are we to take it from this that the two most self righteous men in Greystones have taken it upon themselves to 'save' our town? Perhaps they should be consulted about every business that tries to set up here to see if they fit in with their worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the two most self righteous men in Greystones

that's a bit harsh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I see there was a meeting upstairs in the happy pair last night about how to oppose mcdonalds. Are we to take it from this that the two most self righteous men in Greystones have taken it upon themselves to 'save' our town? Perhaps they should be consulted about every business that tries to set up here to see if they fit in with their worldview.

You should take it that some people have different points of view and that they are entitled to express them.

Please do not insult people just because they do not agree with you.

Where did i say they can't express their opinion? Just wondering why they are opposing, schools? Traffic? Quality of food? Or more competition for them? I will not be told by them or anybody else what food i can or can't eat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just wondering why they are opposing, schools? Traffic? Quality of food? Or more competition for them?

You could go to the meeting and find out.
    In terms of competition I think that it is fair to say that they are targeting different markets.
    I will not be told by them or anybody else what food i can or can't eat.

I have no doubt that you will eat whatever you like.

If you have a point to make do so in a polite manner or do not post.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Where did i say they can't express their opinion? Just wondering why they are opposing, schools? Traffic? Quality of food? Or more competition for them? I will not be told by them or anybody else what food i can or can't eat.

Similiar thing happened in Bray a few year's ago when the Business Owners Association objected to everything coming into the town, The past two years has seen a Welcomed change with New Business opening up and the town seems to be getting back on its feet.

Im not saying Mc Donalds will drastically change Greystones what ever side of the fence you are on, but i do welcome New Businesses and jobs locally, towns develop and grow and are not the same as you remember from your childhood its not a village anymore.

Agreed. The happy pear only recently announced ten new jobs and now they are trying to refuse maybe twice that number or more. I'm just wondering about their motivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

Agreed. The happy pear only recently announced ten new jobs and now they are trying to refuse maybe twice that number or more. I'm just wondering about their motivations.

for info have the happy pear owners actually come out and said they object to mcdonalds in greystones or just that site. have mcdonalds an alternative site in mind if this application is turned down.in my opinion for a drive through would they not be better off selecting a site near the n11 at the end of farankelly road for instance there is a site on sale for development.
    surely that would attract a greater passing trade . questions about the happy pear owners motivation really i think are irrelevant, i wonder more about the motivations of mcdonalds application and would hazard a guess that if there were not schools situated nearby then the site would be a lot less attractive to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I'm sure somebody said this before, but wouldn't the old bar/restaurant at the entrance to Woodlands have been a near ideal location for McDonalds (not sure if the drive thru would be feasible there) ? The number of commuters and football players/parents alone that pass by there every single evening would provide a significant passing trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eigrod wrote: »
    I'm sure somebody said this before, but wouldn't the old bar/restaurant at the entrance to Woodlands have been a near ideal location for McDonalds (not sure if the drive thru would be feasible there) ? The number of commuters and football players/parents alone that pass by there every single evening would provide a significant passing trade.

Sure you couldn't have a fast food place beside where kids play sports - may as well put it beside a school!:pac:

Sure you couldn't have a fast food place beside where kids play sports - may as well put it beside a school!:pac:

at least they'd be burning off some calories before going in for a Big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pixbyjohn wrote: »

I see traffic and traffic safety seems to be high on the list.

There are a few empty units down there, I wonder if they should remain closed for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Those are bizarre. The first one is from the "Greystones Municipal District" of WCC, so it is WCC making a submission to itself. I thought all the town councils were supposed to be abolished as independent entities, so this seems to be the ghost of Greystones Town Council coming back to haunt us.

The second one predicts that traffic will be bad when TC school opens; they don't seem to realise it is already open.

These people who are trying to say a McDonalds will affect the traffic, do they realise that the entire surrounding area has been rezoned for housing? The land above the road towards Kindlestown Hill has no particular application in yet. The land on the lower side has been granted PP but the developer is trying to remove the condition attached which requires him to build a new link road. Whatever happens there, it won't be long before there is a whole network of roads, and what is now the cul de sac just beyond Lidl will extend up and link onto Chapel Rd near to St Lawrences school, and then on to the new roundabout near Delgany Woods.
    Some of these changes will ease traffic, and some will exacerbate it, but any potential change caused by McDonalds to traffic amounts to nothing, compared with what is coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Can McDonalds not change their licensing similar to rest of Europe where you can get a beer with your Big Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

IanL wrote: »
    Can McDonalds not change their licensing similar to rest of Europe where you can get a beer with your Big Mac?

Oh no, we couldn't have fat drunk children and think of the traffic chaos the drunk drivers would cause......

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

If i had kids and they where going to McDonalds after school i would be asking where they got the money cause it wouldnt be from me.

And if I had kids and they were going to any "drive in" restaurant after school I'd be asking where they got their car from !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Yes exactly! and Ireland and also the UK are different than across the pond

There Beef is Board Bia Approved.

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/food_quality/about_our_food/our_beef.html

And alot of there Ingredients Irish
    http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/food_quality/about_our_food/irish_produce.html

Its a fast food restuarant at the end of the day your not going to get your organic angus bluecheese and artisan bun burger here, you know what your getting the Calories are on the board and the nutritional information is on the food packaging and on the back of paper on the tray there not hiding anything does the local chipper or chinese or coffee shop display the nutritional value of there products?

Theres more calories in a bag of crisps than the Nuggets.

Lots of meat products were "bord bia" Approved that turned out to be horse meat so "bord bia"means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

recedite wrote: »
    Those are bizarre. The first one is from the "Greystones Municipal District" of WCC, so it is WCC making a submission to itself. I thought all the town councils were supposed to be abolished as independent entities, so this seems to be the ghost of Greystones Town Council coming back to haunt us.

The second one predicts that traffic will be bad when TC school opens; they don't seem to realise it is already open.

These people who are trying to say a McDonalds will affect the traffic, do they realise that the entire surrounding area has been rezoned for housing? The land above the road towards Kindlestown Hill has no particular application in yet. The land on the lower side has been granted PP but the developer is trying to remove the condition attached which requires him to build a new link road. Whatever happens there, it won't be long before there is a whole network of roads, and what is now the cul de sac just beyond Lidl will extend up and link onto Chapel Rd near to St Lawrences school, and then on to the new roundabout near Delgany Woods.
    Some of these changes will ease traffic, and some will exacerbate it, but any potential change caused by McDonalds to traffic amounts to nothing, compared with what is coming down the line.

What is coming down the line is traffic hell... and McD's won't make a blind bit of difference , all thanks to planning ineptitude and with the help of some town councillors with one in particular showing a disturbing lack of foresight and local awareness as he pushed to get schools built.
    Not sure which lands you refer to ..to the west of the road past Lidl looking towards Coolagad hill there is about fifteen acres adjoining the primary schools now on its third planning application, not to build , that's already been granted, just fiddling with types and densities. These lands join Wood's land to the south, who I assume is trying to wriggle out of completing the link road.
    Incidentally , always raises a smile when I hear people still referring to this place as ' the village'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

In fairness a postive thing for jobs, same as Irish Water, paying for water a good thing as we provide jobs for people in Irish water. A win win all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

IanL wrote: »
    In fairness a postive thing for jobs, same as Irish Water, paying for water a good thing as we provide jobs for people in Irish water. A win win all around.

Doubt McDonalds will pay inflated salaries or bonuses. But then McDonalds is run as a commercial entity.

The deadline for submissions is today, 45 submissions in.http://193.178.30.218/wickloweplan/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=142043&LASiteID=0
    It is in the hands of Wicklow County Council planning department now and maybe in the future with An Bord Pleanala.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

http://www.thejournal.ie/fast-food-near-schools-2083418-May2015/

Interesting to know what they will clasify as fastfood. if the pizza shop was still open at blacklion would it have to close and will its use as a pizza shop now be revoked? Is the fish and chip shop at the harbour or the ones on the main atreet over 400m away from the schools?

Jimjay wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/fast-food-near-schools-2083418-May2015/

Interesting to know what they will clasify as fastfood. if the pizza shop was still open at blacklion would it have to close and will its use as a pizza shop now be revoked? Is the fish and chip shop at the harbour or the ones on the main atreet over 400m away from the schools?

It's unlikely to be retrospective, so it won't affect existing businesses. FWIW Pineto's is 300m from St Brigids - I would've thought a 200m exclusion would be sufficient.

Well this is an interesting sleight of hand by the "local councillors".
    Attempting to move the goalposts while the planning application is under consideration.
    Or is it still under consideration? With the decision due in 3 days on 7th May, maybe it was already posted before the bank holiday weekend? Interesting timing.
    Now that Greystones Town Council has been abolished, does a vote by the Greystones Municipal District of WCC have any legal standing?
    If and when WCC approve and endorse the vote, would the ban then have to be inserted into the LAP before it could affect a planning application?

Not much in the way of "conditions". "Give us €76K, and make sure you don't put up any neon signage".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

You'll probably have to wait another 6 months to have the real answer from ABP (some people will be looking to appeal it, particularly the schools/parents of the school pupils).

What I think will happen is ABP will look at the application on its own merits and apply the development plan as it is. The recent motion not to have fast food restaurants near schools will take months to pass, if it passes. So for the current development plan, if McD's have addressed the problems ABP highlighted last time out, I'd be intrigued to see what is in this new application which isn't agreeable to them - I am thinking they've addressed those issues and there isn't much else to use as a basis for refusal!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

It will definitely be appealed by somebody. I presume the main bone of contention will be whether any aspirational policy (at local or national level) to ban fast food outlets can apply to a planning application if it is not actually written into the LAP.

ABP will be a bit hamstrung on this point, because they already said (last time) that any such policy, even if existing as a national guideline, would have to be in the LAP before it could be used to overturn a planning application.
    N.B. In deciding not to accept the recommendation of the Inspector in relation to health issues the Board had regard to Local Area Plans: Guidelines for Planning Authorities published by the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government in June 2013, but noted that the subsequently adopted Greystones- Delgany Local Area Plan 2013 has no policy/objectives relating to the location of fast food outlets in proximity to schools.
    from this post

Also, if ABP come up with some new "concerns" that weren't a concern last time, they will be seen as trumped up and spurious concerns.

The whole episode could work to Mc Donalds advantage if a ban only comes into force afterwards. It would prevent any other fast food outlets from opening in the area, thereby giving them an effective monopoly.

Advertisement