Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds; another planning application

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

When the first application was turned down by ABP, everyone felt that was most likely the end of the matter. It seemed inconceivable that McDonalds would resubmit a fresh application.... for the exact same site. In fact, it never crossed anyone's mind.
    Anyone who thought that has been proved wrong. It seems a very naive view to have held, considering the LAP issue was clearly flagged by ABP. The reason ABP gave for the initial refusal was fairly tenous; a cosmetic design issue. That seems to me like a hint to WCC to get the fast food ban into the Blacklion LAP pronto, before the next application.
    It also seemed that the ABP reference to the Area Plan was utterly perverse — effectively saying that if local authority planners ignored the National Guidelines, then so would the Appeals Board.
    Not perverse at all. They even told the WCC what national guideline to incorporate into the LAP. They said if WCC didn't want to put the ban in the LAP, they would not be in a position to enforce any ban.
    The point you are missing here is that these "guidelines" allow or encourage a local authority to insert such a ban into the LAP. They do not require them to do it.
    ... the motion to amend has already been discussed at the Special Policy Committee and now stands ready to go to the Council chamber.
    Congratulations. But its a bit late now, unfortunately ;)
    It's not something that the steering committee of the NO campaign want to rush — other councillors in other areas must be lobbied; documentation to rebut the officials' mostly specious arguments prepared; experts engaged — planning experts and lawyers. Our own local councillors thoroughly briefed.

Basically, you want to maximise your chances of winning the vote, so there's no point in going off half-cocked.
    There's a difference between "not rushing into something" and waiting 2 years before any effective action.
    This race is already over, and some people are just arriving at the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

presumably most people are aware of Stillorgan. Oatlands college very close to McDonalds, Eddie Rockets etc, primary school on Kilmacud road nearby too. If you're daft enough to hand your kids a tenner a day they'll go to McDonalds, if you give them a packed lunch and no money they won't go to McDonalds.

Students etc need part time work, not much of it around Greystones.

It's going ahead ad its a good thing.

And one other thing, I always knew as a kid the only time you got that kind of food was at weekends and it wasn't every weekend either, you'd never expect to get McDonalds during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

IanL wrote: »
    presumably most people are aware of Stillorgan. Oatlands college very close to McDonalds, Eddie Rockets etc, primary school on Kilmacud road nearby too. If you're daft enough to hand your kids a tenner a day they'll go to McDonalds, if you give them a packed lunch and no money they won't go to McDonalds.

It's going ahead ad its a good thing.

Is McDs directly in front of the Oàtlands gate?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i think you are missing the point. The issue is the location selected. Students can still get work if it was in a more acceptable location in the Greystones area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you're daft enough to hand your kids a tenner a day they'll go to McDonalds, if you give them a packed lunch and no money they won't go to McDonalds.

As per post #169 one euro is all that is required to purchase this "food". Most kids have access to a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

2011 wrote: »
    As per post #169 one euro is all that is required to purchase this "food". Most kids have access to a euro.
    And with that same Euro, even now, they can cross the road to Lidl and buy sweets, chocolate, crisps or sugary drinks.

Why the need for the quotation marks?

Joey it's a stones throw from Oatlands to Stillorgan shopping centre, most students probably pass McDonalds to get to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Bray is the same sure 3 Primary Schools around McDonald's

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Eponymous wrote: »
    And with that same Euro, even now, they can cross the road to Lidl and buy sweets, chocolate, crisps or sugary drinks.
    Good point. Lidl is to be avoided as Temple Carrig's doors open in the afternoon. Lovely, mannerly kids (mostly!), but there's a lot of cheap, sugary foods being bought.

• Advertisement

Eponymous wrote: »
    Why the need for the quotation marks?

Have a look at the video I linked to in post #157 and you will work it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have a look at the video I linked to in post #157 and you will work it out :)

You don't really believe that chicken nugget one was serious do you?

Alun wrote: »
    You don't really believe that chicken nugget one was serious do you?

I think that it is pretty accurate, yes.

How do you think they are made?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are you serious?

To quote the start of the film ... " The chicks head on to the crusher for processing, chicklings are sprayed with fabric softener every few hours to keep them baby soft. The shells will be later be used to add extra texture and calcium to the nuggets" .. and so it goes on.

Add in the comedy accent, and it's clear it's a piss-take, to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

With the smallest amount of internetting

Glossy News is an accredited online satirical publication and a contributing member of HumorFeed. Our stories also appear on Google News and other select news aggregators.
    http://glossynews.com/about/about-glossynews-com/

Here's something a little more reliable
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5PaSqKD6k

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Lol.

Alun wrote: »
    Are you serious?

To quote the start of the film ... " The chicks head on to the crusher for processing, chicklings are sprayed with fabric softener every few hours to keep them baby soft. The shells will be later be used to add extra texture and calcium to the nuggets" .. and so it goes on.

Add in the comedy accent, and it's clear it's a piss-take, to me at least.

Ok No excuses, you have me.
    I saw it on my iPhone in work with the sound down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Seems McDonald's actually love schools
    http://fortune.com/2015/10/15/mcdonalds-movie-weight-loss/

Hmmmm

Joey it's a stones throw from Oatlands to Stillorgan shopping centre, most students probably pass McDonalds to get to it.

Sorry its really not comparable at all. Stillorgan McDs is not directly in front of the school gate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Ok No excuses, you have me.
    I saw it on my iPhone in work with the sound down :D
    Ah, 2011, I don't mean to laugh at you, I prefer to think I'm laughing WITH you, but this has been quite hilarious!
    Sorry its really not comparable at all. Stillorgan McDs is not directly in front of the school gate.
    Yep, I thought so too. It's a bit of a stroll from Oatlands to McDs, not somewhere you could run to and back in the space of 20 seconds.

Ah, 2011, I don't mean to laugh at you, I prefer to think I'm laughing WITH you, but this has been quite hilarious!

Don't worry about it.
    I don't take myself too seriously.

Anyone got anything new to add?
    The same arguments are being regurgitated.

Don't worry about it.
    I don't take myself too seriously.

Anyone got anything new to add?
    The same arguments are being regurgitated.

I don't have kids, but I would also think a McD's beside a school is a bad idea. I wouldn't be boycotting Lidl because of it though. If there is a petition or such going around though, I'd willingly put my name to it. I do have friends who have kids in the area who have concerns about it. Public meeting to voice concerns? I'm not really in the loop here but yeah, I'd be willing to help if I can.

Public meeting to voice concerns? I'm not really in the loop here but yeah, I'd be willing to help if I can.
    2 years too late.
    OK, maybe there are people who genuinely didn't see what was coming down the line. But equally, there are those who did, and failed to act.
    I'm finding it a bit pathetic that people are now crawling out of the woodwork, when its all over, and talking about boycotts etc..

Public representatives could have altered the Blacklion local area plan so that Mc Donalds would have had to apply for PP somewhere else in Greystones, a bit further away from the schools. There was plenty of warning about Mc Donald's intentions. Local people could have put sufficient pressure on their public representatives to force them to act. But none of this happened.
    Personally, I'm not that bothered either way. Parents need to take more responsibility for their kids exercise regime and diet. If they were walking or cycling to school, they could have the occasional big mac and still be healthier, and the traffic problem would probably disappear too.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

And it's going to judicial review.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1113/741676-mcdonalds/

Alan_P wrote: »
    And it's going to judicial review.
    It doesn't say that in the linked article, but I heard they were going to have a public meeting in one of the schools to discuss the possibility of a judicial review.

I also heard that WCC have now voted to insert the "no fry zone" into the Blacklion Local Area Plan, thereby giving McDonalds a monopoly to supply fast food in the locality. It was a simple enough show of hands a meeting, in the end.
    All very predictable....
    recedite wrote: »
    The whole episode could work to Mc Donalds advantage if a ban only comes into force afterwards. It would prevent any other fast food outlets from opening in the area, thereby giving them an effective monopoly.
    Mc Donalds have really played a blinder on this. I'm finding it hard to believe they were able to pull it all off without insider help. And I'm finding the "helpless but sympathetic" stance of elected representatives towards the anti-fast food activists very hard to take.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Cheers for those Joey - nice to hear Basil's points. Very well made with a touch of humour.
    Didn't even know this meeting was happening. Keen to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

McDonald's for Greystones , as a resident of Redford Park i am certainly in favour but not in its planned location. Traffic is already a disaster at peak times, morning and evening rush hour to be precise. Siting a Mcdonalds drive through at that junction will only lead to more traffic chaos. Somewhere closer to the town would be preferable in my opinion or close to a decentlink road, my suggestion would be the site (which is for sale i think) leaving the village past the county council offices and before the first roundabout on the left hand side. plenty access and within walking distance of the village, it also puts it far enough away from schools to allay fears of those who argue the " no fry zone" .

• Advertisement

The former script site will be Greystones medical centre - a GP practice.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement