Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Business

Options
  • 18-11-2014 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone here has done the Level 8 Higher Diploma in Business Management such as the one offered in LIT (http://www.lit.ie/FlexibleLearning/Courses/Pages/194.aspx) or the one offered in NUIG (http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/business-studies.html)?

I was just wondering how these Higher Diplomas are viewed when applying for Level 9 courses?

For a bit of background, when I went to college, I got an Honours BA in English and History (2.2), however I afterwards went into working in an insurance company. It is now over 6 years later and I have risen the ranks within the company. However, I feel that my lack of a business qualification would hold me back in any future attempts to rise within the business. In other words, I have a degree in one field, but no experience, and then I have experience in a completely different field, but no qualification.

I am now considering now doing a Higher Diploma in Business in order to have a Level 8 Business Qualification. Would I then be as equally qualified education wise as someone with a Level 8 Degree in Business Studies, especially if I get a very good mark in the Higher Degree (I won't have the frivolities of youth holding me back).

On a tangent then, when it comes to applying to a masters, would my higher diploma along with my level 8 degree in another field be considered a lower qualification than a level 8 business degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you intend on doing a masters - I'd skip straight to it rather than messing about with a H.Dip first. Save yourself time and fees. Applications for masters can come from any discipline, not just people with business degrees or backgrounds. The level 8 you already have is enough. The only thing against you is the low grade in your primary degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Looking at most masters degrees, they require a 2.1 level 8 degree if the degree is not relevant to the masters. Unfortunately i kinda let everything slip in my final semester. Now, with my head screwed on properly, i think i could achieve a good mark in a higher diploma. Would this be considered enough for a masters, especially when combined with over 6 years work experience in the field

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Davyhal wrote: »
    Looking at most masters degrees, they require a 2.1 level 8 degree if the degree is not relevant to the masters. Unfortunately i kinda let everything slip in my final semester. Now, with my head screwed on properly, i think i could achieve a good mark in a higher diploma. Would this be considered enough for a masters, especially when combined with over 6 years work experience in the field

It might be worthwhile emailing the course director of some masters degrees you have an interest in. I'm aware most specify a 2.1 for entry - but i've seen plenty mention a 2.2 with relevant experience being sufficient also.

You need to keep in mind that postgraduate applications are dealt with entirely differently to undergraduate. CAO is an automated system with no human input. Postgraduate entry is handled entirely by the course director and usually a selection committee. You're dealing with actual people now - an inquisitive email could save you a year of unnecessary work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Finance Grad 2015

Go straight to level 9 if you can. Currently doing a masters and I know there are plenty of people in it that got a 2.2. The only thing holding you back about a 2.2 degree is the fact that many jobs with multinationals etc now require a minimum 2.1. The trick here is to get a 2.1 in your masters!
    Also, youth doesn't hold everyone back from getting a good grade :-P We're not all messers haha

Advertisement