Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claregalway - what's it like?

Options
  • 18-11-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭

Hello

Can anyone give me any comments on what its like to live in Claregalway.......and in the actual village I mean :)

Since the end of the celtic tiger , has it become a bit of a ghost town or is it ok ?
    is it a decent place to live for a family ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Claregalway seems as busy as ever. Its proximity to galway means it's not going to be in as big of trouble as other towns further out in the countryside.

There's not much in the town really though, it's basically just a cross roads but being so close to Galway city means it doesn't really need to develop that much. If you can live with the traffic it's probably not to bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Watch out for major flooding post heavy rainfall, just being honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

ScumLord wrote: »
    Claregalway seems as busy as ever. Its proximity to galway means it's not going to be in as big of trouble as other towns further out in the countryside.

There's not much in the town really though, it's basically just a cross roads but being so close to Galway city means it doesn't really need to develop that much. If you can live with the traffic it's probably not to bad.

Thanks for that. That was going to be my next question...........I always heard about bad traffic in Claregalway but I thought with new roads built etc that it would not be an issue anymore coming up to 2015

What causes all the traffic ? is Claregalway just on a busy route.

mountsky wrote: »
    Watch out for major flooding post heavy rainfall, just being honest!

and honesty is what I want...... thanks.

does it affect the whole village or only certain parts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That was going to be my next question...........I always heard about bad traffic in Claregalway but I thought with new roads built etc that it would not be an issue anymore coming up to 2015

What causes all the traffic ? is Claregalway just on a busy route.

They are only starting the gort section of the motorway that will bypass Claregalway next year. It'll be a while yet.

It's on the main road in and out of Galway going north. IIf you are working in Galway, i would move Galway side of the lights or near the primary school so you could take the airport road in to Galway.

Claregalway has pretty much everything apart from a big super market to challenge supervalu.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    They are only starting the gort section of the motorway that will bypass Claregalway next year. It'll be a while yet.

It's on the main road in and out of Galway going north. IIf you are working in Galway, i would move Galway side of the lights or near the primary school so you could take the airport road in to Galway.

Claregalway has pretty much everything apart from a big super market to challenge supervalu.

Thanks. Id be working in Park more East /Galway Technology Park

Can anybody tell me if Claregalway has a secondary school ?

I know there was talks of one being built, but not sure if that happened or is happening or was cancelled...........and cant find the definitive answer online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Can anybody tell me if Claregalway has a secondary school ?

I know there was talks of one being built, but not sure if that happened or is happening or was cancelled...........and cant find the definitive answer online.
    Yeah, there's a new secondary school in the Corporate Park (on the N18).

If you're working in Parkmore it'd be advisable to live on the City side of the lights alright, coming from the far side of the village can be a nightmare. But at least you'll avoid the traffic tailbacks from Roadstone into town every morning.

The flooding in 2011 (?) was very bad in the village and relief works have taken place since, the ball alley was knocked to accommodate this. Don't know if it still floods really, I don't live in the middle of the village. Nice place to live though, has pretty much everything one would need in a small town apart from a nightclub :(

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a new secondary school in the Corporate Park (on the N18).

If you're working in Parkmore it'd be advisable to live on the City side of the lights alright, coming from the far side of the village can be a nightmare. But at least you'll avoid the traffic tailbacks from Roadstone into town every morning.

The flooding in 2011 (?) was very bad in the village and relief works have taken place since, the ball alley was knocked to accommodate this. Don't know if it still floods really, I don't live in the middle of the village. Nice place to live though, has pretty much everything one would need in a small town apart from a nightclub :(

Thanks,

so the secondary school seems to be in a corporate park, weird :)

I still cannot find evidence of it on google maps or street view

When you say "city side of lights " I dont actually know what lights you are on about :) do you just mean south of Claregalway village ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Thanks,

so the secondary school seems to be in a corporate park, weird :)

I still cannot find evidence of it on google maps or street view

When you say "city side of lights " I dont actually know what lights you are on about :) do you just mean south of Claregalway village ?
    Map here. It's on the Carnmore Road (N18) and there's a new footpath up as far as there from the village.

Yeah, south side of the village. There are a few estates on the N18 that are nice as far as I know. The traffic light sequencing is a joke basically, and if you can avoid them at all it would save a lot of time.

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Map here. It's on the Carnmore Road (N18) and there's a new footpath up as far as there from the village.

Yeah, south side of the village. There are a few estates on the N18 that are nice as far as I know. The traffic light sequencing is a joke basically, and if you can avoid them at all it would save a lot of time.

sorry , im slow, what's the map link of ? the school is it ? still cant find it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thanks. Id be working in Park more East /Galway Technology Park

I worked in GTP and one of the fellas I worked with lives in the estate close to the primary school. He comes to work via the Airport Road at Carnmore. It's very handy for him.

Can anyone tell me if there is decent broadband speeds in the Claregalway village area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The secondary school is in the corporate park, only 1st and 2nd years right now, 3rd year next year. Also believe they have the site for the main school to be built as the current one is only temporary (they have some plans for the build after).

The broadband is good in Claregalway recently got upgraded to 24MB and fibre is coming.... at some point :)

kayos wrote: »
    The secondary school is in the corporate park, only 1st and 2nd years right now, 3rd year next year. Also believe they have the site for the main school to be built as the current one is only temporary (they have some plans for the build after).

The broadband is good in Claregalway recently got upgraded to 24MB and fibre is coming.... at some point :)

Ok so let me get this right in my head..................there is a secondary school in Claregalway, but its not fully operational and only caters for 1st and 2nd years

When will the secondary school be fully operational and in its final resting place ?

mmm, one could be waiting for Fibre :)) but as long as there is 24 mb, thats ok. Should be ok to work from home once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

and honesty is what I want...... thanks.

does it affect the whole village or only certain parts ?

Can't be 100% ,but I do know C.Galway is partial to flooding when there's heavy rain

mountsky wrote: »
    Can't be 100% ,but I do know C.Galway is partial to flooding when there's heavy rain

Thanks. Good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok so let me get this right in my head..................there is a secondary school in Claregalway, but its not fully operational and only caters for 1st and 2nd years

When will the secondary school be fully operational and in its final resting place ?

It looks like the corporate park is the final resting place. They're using converted offices at the moment, but dedicated spaces are being built - more here: http://www.colaistebhailechlair.com/news-information/school-building-updates.html

It is fully operational, but like all new schools started with only classes in on year. Is adding another year each year.

It looks like the corporate park is the final resting place. They're using converted offices at the moment, but dedicated spaces are being built - more here: http://www.colaistebhailechlair.com/news-information/school-building-updates.html

It is fully operational, but like all new schools started with only classes in on year. Is adding another year each year.

Thanks for that.

Is the national school of a decent quality ?

Is there any capacity problems in the national school ?

• Advertisement

anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

My youngest boy is going to the national school, my oldest lad is in the secondary school, and both are excellent.

The NS is extremely popular, therefore always at capacity, and demand for places has increased now that the secondary school is so close.

K_user wrote: »
    My youngest boy is going to the national school, my oldest lad is in the secondary school, and both are excellent.

The NS is extremely popular, therefore always at capacity, and demand for places has increased now that the secondary school is so close.

Thanks.

good to hear.
    how many pupils roughly in the national school ?

what's the story with the secondary school as of now - does it only have 1st, 2nd and 3rd year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Thanks.

good to hear.
    how many pupils roughly in the national school ?

what's the story with the secondary school as of now - does it only have 1st, 2nd and 3rd year ?

I couldn't tell you how many children are in the NS exactly, but they average around 30 pupils per class, 2 classes per year. So thats approximately 500 kids give or take.

The secondary school just started last year and as another poster mentioned they are building it up year by year. Currently they just have first and second year. But in saying that it is an excellent facility, its a purpose built "temporary" school. Walking through the building you'd never know that it wasn't the finished product. And the staff/teachers are all very good.

I believe that they have plans for a permanent building, don't know when they plan to start it though. But given the amount of work that they've done so far I would be very surprised if they aren't on schedule.

I believe the enrolment for next year, that would include third years, needs to be in by February. You'd need to contact them directly though as I'm not 100% on that.

K_user wrote: »
    I couldn't tell you how many children are in the NS exactly, but they average around 30 pupils per class, 2 classes per year. So thats approximately 500 kids give or take.

The secondary school just started last year and as another poster mentioned they are building it up year by year. Currently they just have first and second year. But in saying that it is an excellent facility, its a purpose built "temporary" school. Walking through the building you'd never know that it wasn't the finished product. And the staff/teachers are all very good.

I believe that they have plans for a permanent building, don't know when they plan to start it though. But given the amount of work that they've done so far I would be very surprised if they aren't on schedule.

I believe the enrolment for next year, that would include third years, needs to be in by February. You'd need to contact them directly though as I'm not 100% on that.

Thanks. excellent reply

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That makes it open to an attack from the rebel fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

There's also Bawnmore National School if you want an alternative.

http://bawnmorens.ie/

Advertisement