Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep Ireland v USA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

This performance is only going to annoy me after the shambles on Friday night. Why not have a go like tonight. The Poland game will mimic the game against Scotland as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Class free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

What a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Super strike!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a strike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Class from Brady

Not too bad a team when left off the leash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

About time someone else gets a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

What a freekick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brady could be the new Ian harte!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fantastic free kick.

Feel sorry for the States. Don't think on the balance of play we are three goals better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bang

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

what a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

antodeco wrote: »
    McGeady is seriously ****e!

He's been our best player since he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I can't believe I actually enjoyed watching Ireland for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

As a team that's always going to struggle for goals, someone who can take a decent free kick should be in the team. Good job Brady.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

He's been our best player since he came on.

He's played very poor final passes and lost possession on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I can't believe I actually enjoyed watching Ireland for 90 minutes.

Same here

Its been a while

Just shows we can actually play very good football when we ignore the manager's instructions. Having players like McGoldrick, Pilkington and Brady who actually want to play it down the middle makes such a big difference.

Hopefully this should be the end for Ward.

The players actively ignored O'Neills instructions? Did you just make that up?

• Advertisement

lol what a goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

As a team that's always going to struggle for goals, someone who can take a decent free kick should be in the team. Good job Brady.
    He had two very good ones late on against Scotland as well. Given how terrible Ward has been there I wouldn't even mind seeing him at LB for us moving forward, to be honest - McClean is quite workmanlike which could help ahead of him to cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Sweet left foot on Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

rarnes1 wrote: »

That's the game.

Lose : it's due to bad manager tactics/ selections

Win : it's because the players ignored the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭JamBur

I've been keeping an eye on the "USMNT" forum, they consider this their "Most embarrassing loss in USMNT history"

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/united-states-vs-ireland-november-18th-2-45pm-et.2013512/page-18

That's the game.

Lose : it's due to bad manager tactics/ selections

Win : it's because the players ignored the manager

Same under Trap.

"Remember that time all the players ignored the manager and nearly beat France! "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

This lad christie looks good...can he play left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I heard they had a secret team meeting after O'Neill left to make sure that everyone did precisely the opposite of what was asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well that was nice to watch for a change.
    Some nice play by us, a few cracking goals, some encouraging debuts from mcgoldrick and Christie and solid performances from Pearce, Clark, Quinn and most importantly Brady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

JamBur wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye on the "USMNT" forum, they consider this their "Most embarrassing loss in USMNT history"

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/united-states-vs-ireland-november-18th-2-45pm-et.2013512/page-18

wow those guys are deluded?

So the obvious question.......whats our starting IX? Ignoring loyalty

Forde
    Coleman O Shea Clarke Christie
    No idea in midfield maybe Brady Hendrick McCarthy McGoldrick McGeady
    Long up front on his own

I know its only one game from the new lads, but its dream time:)

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed that. Instead of bricking it at 2-1 we kicked on.

The annoying thing is why could we not show some of that Friday night as we be on 10 points right now.

Anyway onwards and upwards I hope.

Really enjoyed that. Instead of bricking it at 2-1 we kicked on.

The annoying thing is why could we not show some of that Friday night as we be on 10 points right now.

Anyway onwards and upwards I hope.

2 hours ago you were saying O'Neill was out of his depth.

Hardly embarrassing considering I don't think the USA have ever even beaten Ireland..

wow those guys are deluded?

real delusions of grandeur alright........a lot of anti Jurgen sentiment as well

Hardly embarrassing considering I don't think the USA have ever even beaten Ireland..

they have actually 2-1 & 3-1 in 92 and 96

2 hours ago you were saying O'Neill was out of his depth.

He was Friday night. Was not gone on team selection tonight but 4-5 v good performances.

This was a friendly. If O Neill had trust and belief in his players we be on 10 points now and nobody will change my mind on that.

Even the Scots I met after the game could not believe how bad we were on Friday. This was poles apart , but why not do this against a side like Scotland who pound for pound we are better then.

O Neill bottled it Friday night.

I just found it bizarre how the new players actually looked for the ball and kept it on the ground, looked for one-twos (!), played down the middle, and wanted to go forward by way of football. Which is at total odds with the ****e which has been seen in every other match of any worth

As much as you'd like to argue, restricting full backs to hoofing it up to Jonny Walters has more to do with team management style than players evincing their actual individual creativity and skill. What we saw against Germany and Scotland was nothing short of embarrassing.

I was watching Luxembourg play Spain there in the last international break and every time they got the ball they had their midfield actively looking for it along the ground, integration of overlapping full backs, and an actual No.10. Even they have adapted to modern football! Although their counters did not have the end product due to their lack of skill, their desire to have a go had to have been trained and managed. (They, the amateurs, lost 3-0 by the way) There is no reason why we can't try play like this again against Poland, Scotland and adapt it to a counter-attacking style against Germany. It may have just been a friendly, but it still showed we are able to give it a right go when the players are given the freedom to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Always thought Long would be better as a RWF. His pace and power to get past that defender in the end, which led to Mc Clean's, was exciting to see.

Good performances from several players, exciting going forward.
    Brady did great, good to see him back to fitness, will be very important to us in the rest of these qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I just found it bizarre how the new players actually looked for the ball and kept it on the ground, looked for one-twos (!), played down the middle, and wanted to go forward by way of football. Which is at total odds with the ****e which has been seen in every other match of any worth

As much as you'd like to argue, restricting full backs to hoofing it up to Jonny Walters has more to do with team management style than players evincing their actual individual creativity and skill. What we saw against Germany and Scotland was nothing short of embarrassing.

I was watching Luxembourg play Spain there in the last international break and every time they got the ball they had their midfield actively looking for it along the ground, integration of overlapping full backs, and an actual No.10. Even they have adapted to modern football! Although their counters did not have the end product due to their lack of skill, their desire to have a go had to have been trained and managed. (They, the amateurs, lost 3-0 by the way) There is no reason why we can't try play like this again against Poland, Scotland and adapt it to a counter-attacking style against Germany. It may have just been a friendly, but it still showed we are able to give it a right go when the players are given the freedom to play football.

I agree. O'Neill's tactic were to look for Walters every single time by hoofing the ball. You only need to look at Ward in the game to see the tactics in play.

Hopefully we will have a go at the Poles in Dublin and look for the three points.

antodeco wrote: »
    He's played very poor final passes and lost possession on multiple occasions.

Still by a country mile our best player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Same under Trap.

"Remember that time all the players ignored the manager and nearly beat France! "

It's the easiest way to ignore the painful truth - we just are not as talented a team as some like to think we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

He was Friday night. Was not gone on team selection tonight but 4-5 v good performances.

This was a friendly. If O Neill had trust and belief in his players we be on 10 points now and nobody will change my mind on that.

Even the Scots I met after the game could not believe how bad we were on Friday. This was poles apart , but why not do this against a side like Scotland who pound for pound we are better then.

Dig up stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Great find, some of that is gas.

Personal favourite is this particular gem at half-time:
    We're going to win this puppy. Convincingly.

Because those are a bunch of kiddos. Kiddos run a lot early, get gassed, and after just look at you with puppy eyes. We _should_ massacre them.

Which, all things considered, doesn't prove anything. It's like kicking a toddler.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

You have to look at how open/naive USA were in defence tonight, I think they abandoned their usual defensive game cos they underestimated us. Scotland were better organised on Friday and gave us very little time on the ball.

I don't think we are as far ahead of Scotland as you say.

I'd say there's not much between the teams tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

We gonna get bombed for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There might not be much between Ireland and Scotland, except for the tactics of the manager.

What we were served up on Friday night was a disgrace imho. We played against Scotland like they were Germany or Spain, playing tripe football and bypassing midfield with hoofball stuff from a distant past. There is no place n international football for those type of tactics any more, especially against a team which is on your level.

O'Neill is a 'lets not lose' rather than 'lets win' type of manager.

For me Friday night was a massive opportunity missed, especially when we might well get nothing from 2 home games v Poland and Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Christie looked good, it will be nice to have two right-backs in future squads. McGoldrick also impressed, acually coming deep to receive the ball rather than just looking to flick on aerial balls.

Hopefully Brady can force his way into the Hull team at left-wing so he can make that position his own for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Christie looked good, it will be nice to have two right-backs in future squads. McGoldrick also impressed, acually coming deep to receive the ball rather than just looking to flick on aerial balls.

Hopefully Brady can force his way into the Hull team at left-wing so he can make that position his own for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

We only looked good on the ball tonight because the opposition allowed us to be. You don't get that much time in competitive football.

Advertisement