Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing belt help

• 18-11-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have a 00 VW Golf GTTDi 1.9 diesel. Engine code AJM.

I was looking on micksgarage.ie for a kit and I noticed some of them do not include a "tensioner pulley damper". The ones that do have it are considerably more expensive.
    I would link to it but apparently I cannot post links yet.

Can anyone help me source a proper kit with a water pump included?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Any local motor factors should have it. Usually the belt kit will come with the belt, the tensioner and the top roller. Water pump will be a separate part. Best brands for the belt kit would be Gates or Continental. Dealers will do core exchange on the water pump too.

One thing to make sure is that your mechanic (or you if you're doing it yourself) have the correct lockdown tools for that engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

in this case getting a genuine kit & pump from the main dealer is your best bet Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Your car has a damper that sets the position of the tensioner pulley. Later PD engines don't have the damper and just have a regular spring loaded tensioner. Changing the damper with the rest of the timing belt kit is optional. We usually don't change them unless they are showing signs of damage or leaking. Most of the time just fitting the regular kit will suffice.

Advertisement