Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.O.S.T startup screen issue "Desktop"

Options
  • 18-11-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,
    i have a problem with my desktop and it has puzzled me for over a week now :mad:
    When i switch on the desktop the P.O.S.T startup screen has coloured lines running vertically down the screen.
    I had problems initially trying to install the latest nVidia driver, i would get a black screen halfway through install (driver install aborted). This is when the P.O.S.T screen issue occured.
    I tried all their drivers since, and each driver gives me the black screen when i try to boot into normal mode.
    Safe mode is grand with no drivers running.
    I uninstalled all nVidia drivers etc, but when i boot up the P.O.S.T screen has display issues as pointed out above.
    I reinstalled windows 8.1 but the problem persists.
    I can boot into normal mode now that the drivers are not installed, but when i install the gpu drivers i am back at square 1.

1. Why has P.O.S.T screen got the lines even though the whole system was reformatted with a fresh w8.1 install and no nVidia drivers are installed?

2. Why won't the nVidia drivers install properly?

3. would the motherboard bios need updating? it is an Ecs MCP73VT-PM (and is it compatible with W8.1)

Any comments or anyone that had this issue before and would like to share their solutions are welcome.

GPU: GeForce 8800 GTS

I had a full head of hair lastweek but now i'm bald :mad:

I have had problems trying to turn on the .NET Framework 3.5 etc.
    I tried everything, here is an event log.
    I don't know if this is a seperate issue or not!

Event Log:
    Source: Servicing
    Event ID:11
    Task Category: (1)
    General: Update NetFx3 of package Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 failed to be turned on. Status 0x800f0906

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Hi,
    I had similar issue with NVIDIA drivers installing incorrectly on my Windows 7.
    After lot of websearching, the solution was that Nvidia for some reason needed admin rights (not admin user rights - don't ask me why).
    I donot know if it will work but give it a try.
    Here is what i did
    1> Uninstalled all Nvidia Drivers.
    2> Boot in normal mode with no drivers installed.
    3> Downloaded latest Nvidia driver installer.
    4> Open a command prompt as administrator. See link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx
    5> Change directory in command prompt window to where Nvidia installer is located.
    6> Run Nvidia installer from command prompt.
    7> Reboot after installation.

I didnot have to repeat this ever again as Nvidia Driver update works fine now.

Reply if this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

@ free_man

Hi thanks for a possible solution but unfortunately it did not install correctly.

1. I opened the command line (run as Admin)
    2. I ran the latest nVidia .exe file as Admin
    3. Install started, but soon after the black screen appeared and the install hung.
    4. Restarted the PC and it booted into normal mode.
    5. Checked Programs and Features but no NVidia drivers were installed.
    6. Checked Device Manager and the Display Adapter has Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
    7. I tried multiple driver WHQL versions and Beta versions but each install fails!!

Very frustrating......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sorry to tell you this but your video card has failed. Windows drivers will have no effect on the bios splash screen display.
    All those nvidia 8xxx series cards have a defect which causes them to fail like that. I was also affected.

Nick

@ Nick,

Thanks a million for that suggestion.
    And would a failed GPU cause the Bios splashscreen to have vertical lines running down the display even though all drivers are uninstalled?
    Is there any way of testing the gpu to check?
    I don't have a second system.

This has all happened since I put in an old i3 processor.
    The system appeared stable on a Pentium processor but it was only a 32bit Instruction set.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

IrlMonk wrote: »
    @ Nick,

Thanks a million for that suggestion.
    And would a failed GPU cause the Bios splashscreen to have vertical lines running down the display even though all drivers are uninstalled?
    Is there any way of testing the gpu to check?
    I don't have a second system.

This has all happened since I put in an old i3 processor.
    The system appeared stable on a Pentium processor but it was only a 32bit Instruction set.
    Thanks

Yes, if you see graphics corruption at the bios then the hardware is at fault. At the bios stage windows hasn't even started to load let alone graphics drivers. These load after the POST stage.
    It is possible it's a display issue. Try the monitor with another machine or try the desktop connected to another device like a TV but the Nvidia 8xxx series cards are known to be defective, and fail due to the lead free solder they used cracking over time. Google search and you'll see a lot about the 8 series cards failing

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

I once had a similar case. Turned out to be a loose ram stick
    Apparently the memory location used for video during the boot up sequence in different to the normal use.

Try to reseat the ram cards and see if it helps.

Cheers folks,

I deffo think it's the gpu :( grrrrrrrr
    Hooked-up the onboard vga graphics to a vga output on a monitor without the gpu connected and the Bios splashscreen display issue was no longer there!

@ Nick: yes there are a lot of issues with the 8800gts series. Thanks for highlighting that ;)

@ Dulchie: I suppose if it was loose RAM modules then the issue would persist? The modules are well seated.

I was going to do an upgrade which I have posted in PC Building and Upgrades forum with little to spend and now I have to include the cost of a new GPU.. :eek:
    I will be doing a lot of 3D Modelling etc,.

Any thoughts on that matter would be appreciated. I am going to focus on that build now. :rolleyes:

Again, thanks folks for the imput and giving me a hand with the troubleshooting. ;)

Advertisement