Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Email from apple

• 18-11-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all, I recently being getting emails from Apple stating that my Apple ID was used to purchase apps but I dont have an iphone and only have itunes with ipod yet i have not used this in month's! Also my credit card on itunes is out of date.
    Is this a scam? I have changed my password since I got the first email just in case.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Scam, most likely. Did it address you by name?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

They are scam emails. They get you to click on a link and enter your credit card info to cancel a fake purchase. They have then stolen your credit card number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

yes I just notice it was my own email and not Apple - Thank F...k its a scam. I will just delete, delete, delete.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah it's a scam the URL's lead to dodgy sites. Looks really official though, but it was linked to an email I don't use with Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

Yeah I got one too - very convincing, but I checked my Purchases for the app the email said had been bought and nothing. Then I saw that the email was from me to me, rather than from Apple.

I wonder if there's a point in forwarding it to Apple for their info?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I got one that I know was a scam stating that I downloaded need for speed for iPad.. Just out of curiosity what app did it say you downloaded ? (just want to see if they are phishing everyone with the same email )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I had one of those mails a while back and it really confused me at first as I'd actually purchased something on iTunes, but after a bit of cross checking, I realised it wasn't relevant to what I'd bought. Checked out similar 'scams' online and now know to just delete them - and indeed have received a couple more just recently. Easy to do a double take, but if you've already paid for whatever, then you shouldn't be hearing more about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Jonblack

Getting these emails alot the last few weeks. Always delete them as I have no Apple stuff. Now using masked email addresses so know orgin of site I gave address to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ya, I got one too... I think it said I purchased photoshop or something. I had to look twice before I was sure it was a scam. I think I read somewhere that You will know the difference between legitimate itunes purchase email and a scam email, because a legitimate one will include iTunes account information like a postal address, or the last four digits of a credit card. Scams can't access that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I got this email too yesterday, it does look fairly legit, but it's not the email address I use with my Apple account.
    The app I supposedly purchased was Tune In Radio Pro for £9.99, and the transaction apparently happened in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

I got one that I know was a scam stating that I downloaded need for speed for iPad.. Just out of curiosity what app did it say you downloaded ? (just want to see if they are phishing everyone with the same email )

It alleged my Apple ID was used to download "Photoshop Touch for phone" (bit of a giveaway there) for £2.99 (rather than €2.99).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Radio Pro 9.99 purchase from Spain and Photoshop Touch 2.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Scam. Started getting these shortly after applying to apple for one of their at home advisor roles. :(
    Sort it out apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Scam. Started getting these shortly after applying to apple for one of their at home advisor roles. :(
    Sort it out apple.

It's not an Apple problem, I got two of them using an e-mail address that was never registered on Apple. They're just using purchased lists of e-mail addresses, same as all spammers.

I also get e-mails telling me my NatWest/AIB/Bank of Ireland bank account has been compromised and would I kindly click a link to verify my details, same scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Sort it out apple.

Never heard of these rolls before, sounds interesting and a great way to earn a wage from the comfort of your work space. Most of the members of Boards give out free help in this forum at the moment anyway.

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not an Apple problem, I got two of them using an e-mail address that was never registered on Apple. They're just using purchased lists of e-mail addresses, same as all spammers.

I also get e-mails telling me my NatWest/AIB/Bank of Ireland bank account has been compromised and would I kindly click a link to verify my details, same scam.

Just the timing then. My inbox constantly getting these messages now, but never received them before applying for that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just the timing then. My inbox constantly getting these messages now, but never received them before applying for that role.

It's the same as when the guys ring up claiming to be from Microsoft and that there's a virus on your computer. There's bound to be some people who have just switched on their home PC and who fall for it because 'it couldn't be a coincidence!'.

coylemj wrote: »
    It's the same as when the guys ring up claiming to be from Microsoft and that there's a virus on your computer. There's bound to be some people who have just switched on their home PC and who fall for it because 'it couldn't be a coincidence!'.

Takes a lot less than that to convince some people.

Advertisement