Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Express Entry Program 2015

Options
  • 18-11-2014 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I would gather that most folk on this forum are under 35 and interested in the working holiday visa, but for any folk who have been researching the FSW program, there are changes due next year.

http://moving2canada.com/immigration-to-canada/express-entry/

Under the new system, cases will no longer be judged exclusively on a first come, first serve basis. Instead, potential immigrants with the skills to succeed in Canada will receive priority. The aim of this is for Canada to attract the highly skilled labour pool it desires, while also reducing processing times across the board.

Prospective immigrants will indicate their interest in coming to Canada by providing information electronically about their skills, work experience, and other biographical information. Express Entry will be a mandatory first step in the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), as well as some Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).

The new system is modeled on similar practices in Australia and New Zealand. While CIC has not yet announced specifically how this program will work, we can infer based on how Australia and New Zealand’s programs operate how Canada’s Express Entry program will operate.

1) Applicants will make an “express their interest” to immigrate to Canada.

2) There will be a points criteria of some sort which will qualify applicants.

3) If eligible, applicants will enter a pool of people eligible to immigrate to Canada.

4) They will be given an “invitation to apply” based on either A) having experience in an “in-demand skill” or B) having an LMO-sponsored job offer from a Canadian employer.

5) Once issued an “invitation to apply” they will then be able to file their application for Permanent Residence.

I am looking to moving out of Ireland, but think I may not be eligible either way for the FSW or Express Entry Visa, but am going to revisit it at the end of December/January and see what my options might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If you've used up two working holiday visas can you apply for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm not sure, but would imagine you could.

...or who have a valid job offer
    Express Entry candidates with a valid job offer or provincial/territorial nomination will quickly receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-sheet.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Jaysus, I still can't make head nor tail of it all. I suppose I'd be wasting my time applying for a job from Ireland without a visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Don't be surprised if some of this changes in the coming weeks. Even immigration lawyers are struggling with understanding it here in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Is it a case that you fill in everything and once you've applied you have to wait for an employer to express interest in you or do you go job hunting in the meantime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I watched a short video on it and it said you have to wait for an employer to pick you. This is after they've completed an LMO (basically proof that the country has a shortage of workers in your profession).

Obviously you can still look for jobs that come with a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

still going to be hard enough to get an employer to hire you from ireland i imagine, has anything really changed so? because this was a requirement in the past also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

zweton wrote: »
    still going to be hard enough to get an employer to hire you from ireland i imagine, has anything really changed so? because this was a requirement in the past also.

For skilled workers, I think you could still get a visa without a job offer (under the FSW program). A lot of the others did need a job offer + positive LMO/LMIA or a provincial nomination.

The one area where this promises to be better is processing times are claimed to be faster. Whereas before it was up to 2 years to process FSW, they claim that EE will be processed in 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Summerhill10

Is there any point even applying for express entry of there isn't a job offer on the table ?
    I have numerous employers offer me a job when I arrive in Canada but none will put it on writing before meeting me for a formal interview ( which I totally agree with ) would I still have a chance of getting a visa without a job offer?
    Or
    Would I be better off just applying for a WHV in January

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Summerhill10,

The new Express Entry is for getting Permanent Residence, it's nothing to do with getting a visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Summerhill10

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Summerhill10,

The new Express Entry is for getting Permanent Residence, it's nothing to do with getting a visa!

Yeah my mistake but which options would be the quickest route to Canada ? IEC ? I don't expect my future employer to hold a job offer for 6 months

Advertisement