Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fancy a change - 1,000cc too much?

• 18-11-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I've had the GSXR for 3.5 years now and fancy a change in the new year. Nothing wrong with it, its been fantastic over that time, even better than my old Bandit to commute on.

Most of my time on the bike now is spent commuting to work, don't really get out on it much otherwise. The odd spin here and there.

I'd like something with a bit more available power lower in the revs and with a bit more of an upright position (not getting any younger!). Any thoughts on the CB1000R? I had an S1000R out for a spin a while ago, cracking bike. Price is outta my range though plus the steering lock was sh1te. The new Suzuki GSXS1000 certainly fits the bill, similar to the CB perhaps but again price may be against me.

I know i don't need that big of a bike, but all the decent looking naked sports all seem to be 1,000cc. The ones i like anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

If it's usable power and low down grunt you want you would be hard pressed to beat a good vtwin IMHO. I have an R1, great bike but at its best when it's being worked up the revs. I also have triumph triple which has a lovely spread of torque, but I've a Hypermotard which while way down on the r1 power output has bags of grunt in any gear, naked and very manoeuvrable with great torque.

If your not set on a four or a sport bike give one a go, or maybe something like a KTM SM 950/990?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

1000cc is never too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zascar wrote: »
    1000cc is never too much!

If it were me I would keep the GSXR and get a Vstrom 1000 for commute. Loads of them cheap around and ideal commuter with great comfort and low down grunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I switched from my SV1000 to a vstrom 1000. Sure they have the same engine but they are tuned totally different. I commute on my vstrom daily and absolutely love the torque of it. Savage for filtering and lane splitting. No matter what speed a quick twist and the bike has instant power to whip past or up the middle of cars. Nice high seating position too. My mirrors are higher up than car mirrors which really helps nip through gaps.

There is a 2011 vstrom 1000 with only 5000km in Andys Bikes in Kildare. No idea if its online yet as he only took it in the other day. Absolutely fooking mint!

Just to mention. I originally commute on a bandit 600. Great bike but once I drove a vtwin I don't think I could ever drive an inline four for a commute in traffic again. Its hard to explain unless you take a vtwin out for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

1,000cc is just fine. The throttle goes both ways, but keep 'er lit, hi! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My wheelie got you turned onto litre bikes?... :P

Seriously thought if you can afford something like the Vstrom (and bikes along those lines) you won't be disappointed. As a commuter they're much more usable than the Gixxer, and as you seen last week they can still be a lot of fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a lot more to fun than just power, Power delivery and torque are as if not more important to the experience.
    There was a thread on here a while ago about the funnest bikes people had ever had, most of them from memory were smaller capacity (<400cc) bikes.
    I have had this conversation with a few mates and they all say the same, being able to boss the bike is a lot of fun.
    Middleweight bikes are good fun if they are light and have a good engine, DL650 have a nice engine and a good comfortable riding position, if you think you need more, there is the 1000, but it might be worth riding both to see what you think?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There is quite a difference between a Vtwin and a Four - but when you have 1000cc you are not really wanting. I would not have a 600cc Four, but I was very nicely surprised by the low down power on my blade. I sometimes miss the twin but I like that fact its smoother through the revs. I have a Ducati 749 and it would nearly vibrate the bolts out when you went up in the revs! Four is so much smoother and easier to give it a bit of stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Unfortunately having a second bike is a no go for me. I need a good all rounder. Mainly something to commute on but also something that I get excited about to go out on for a spin when I get the chance.

I know it's a personal thing but I really love the look of the modern nakeds; Hornet, CB1000R, GSXS1000. Not sure id be happy long term on the 600 (Hornet). There doesn't seem to be much in between in that styling, perhaps the Z750. Haven't seen many about though.

I won't be doing anything til Spring anyway, so plenty of time to test ride a good few bikes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If I had the money, I'd buy a triumph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

zubair wrote: »
    If I had the money, I'd buy a triumph.

A triumph what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Spitfire :-P

Ah no, a ST.... and a tiger for the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

goodlad wrote: »
    A triumph what?

Does it matter....lol. Its were its at yo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

zubair wrote: »
    Spitfire :-P

Ah no, a ST.... and a tiger for the commute.

The ST is a pussy cat, you could do better if you're looking at 1000cc bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BmCon

I drive a 03 CBR1100 blackbird and I must say they go like hell and they are a great all rounder .
    2000 FI model up is the way to go. No carbs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

KTRIC wrote: »
    The ST is a pussy cat, you could do better if you're looking at 1000cc bikes.

Them's fightin' words, pardner :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yamah FJR perhaps? Fazer 1000?

The old CBR1100 sounds like a cracking idea. Comfy, reliable, plenty of power and a piece of biking history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

CBF 1000 is a great all round bike, its the fireblade engine in a more practical frame. might be worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hobochris wrote: »
    CBF 1000 is a great all round bike, its the fireblade engine in a more practical frame. might be worth a look

I had a loan of one for two weeks while my bike was off the road, and it's a peach. Better than a CBR in terms of weight and manoeuvrability. Light on juice too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement