Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for suggestions.

Options
  • 18-11-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I'm not a regular here but I thought I'd seek some expert advice. Realistically what I'm looking for is probably a bit low-brow for this forum, but it's worth a shot.
    I've already started worrying about being trapped in a house with immediate family over Christmas. I thought that this year I might show up with a board game that none of us have played before, just to pass the time until it's acceptable to make my break for freedom.
    I'd love something fun and not too intricate and involved, not one of those twelve-hour commitments. I can't see myself convincing the others to get involved in anything with wizards and the like either.
    I think there'll be five of us by the time the serious boredom sets in, but we could double-up for a four player game.
    In the distant past we've had fun with Cluedo, Scrabble, charades and the library game (I know the last two aren't board games, but they'll give you an idea of the sort of thing we might do.)
    There'll be no kids, so it doesn't have to be kid-friendly.
    Personally I'd love something with a seafaring theme, like the Napoleonic wars or pirates or something, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Dealbreakers:
    1. Not too complicated, or my mother will give up on it.
    2. Fun. We don't want a repeat of the Scrabble riot of 2010.
    3. Definitely fun.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you thought a co-operative game might do, you could try something like Pandemic.

Love Letter is a simple and fast card game that anyone can learn in one minute.

If all involved are terrible people with a crude sense of humour, try Cards Against Humanity - you can download a print and play copy of this for free at http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

27th passenger maybe?? It's kind of like multiplayer guess who with a round limit

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

maybe games like Dixit or Cards against humanity? Be careful with CAH as it might not be funny with some people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I'd love something fun and not too intricate and involved, not one of those twelve-hour commitments. I can't see myself convincing the others to get involved in anything with wizards and the like either.

Carcassone ,Catan or Ticket to ride are good gateway games that anyone can play.

Personally I'd love something with a seafaring theme, like the Napoleonic wars or pirates or something, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Dealbreakers:
    1. Not too complicated, or my mother will give up on it.
    2. Fun. We don't want a repeat of the Scrabble riot of 2010.
    3. Definitely fun.

Thanks!

Pirates Cove or Jamaica should scratch the Pirate itch.
    I think Jamaica is the one that will meet all your criteria.I did see it on Amazon a while back.Best of Luck.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28023/jamaica

Ps: Catan has a "Seafaring" expansion..........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ticket to Ride. Simple to learn. Brilliant game. 2-5 players.

Try to get the original (USA). If not, get the European (has a few more rules but nothing difficult).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Days-of-Wonder-DOW-7201/dp/0975277324/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416402771&sr=8-2&keywords=ticket+to+ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Sorry, I thought I'd have time to reply before now.
    They all sound like worthwhile investments.
    I think I'll get my hands on Cards Against Humanity anyway. Even if it doesn't go down well over Christmas I'd probably knock some fun out of at other times.
    So that just leaves the matter of choosing another game to bring peace and harmony to the house at a time of year that somehow manages to be both dull and stressful. At the moment I'm leaning towards Jamaica. (I always buy things with Jamaica in the name because it gives me that opportunity to make the same stupid joke: "Jamaica board game?" "No, I bought it in a shop." This also works for rum, ginger cake and Inn. Feel free to use it.)
    I won't buy anything until I get a chance to visit a shop in Limerick that I heard friends talking about, so I'm still open to last-minute suggestions.
    Thanks for your help everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think what you are really looking for is a party game rather than a gateway Eurogame. As such I would suggest Apples to Apples or Wits and Wagers. Something along those lines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

If you can find it Telestrations (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/46213/telestrations) is a good laugh with family. Its a cross between Pictionary and Chinese Whispers. There is a scoring system but its fairly pointless so will cut out any potential arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

When I lived at home my job was to provide the game for the family at Xmas as the only actual gamer. Had great success with cash and guns and for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GingerGames

This might be a bit late but Pandemic: The Cure is a quicker and more family friendlier version of Pandemic. It has a larger degree of randomness but that might be what you need during the Christmas break.

• Advertisement
Advertisement