Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite over Dublin

Options
  • 18-11-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else see what appeared to me as a meteorite burning out over Dublin earlier this evening?

It was around 5:25 pm, I was on M1 near airport heading north, and this appeared into my limited field of vision (motorcycle helmet's viewport) from the top right, heading down and away from me.. so I guess something like coming from south / south-east towards north / north-west direction.

It wasn't a plane or chopper, it was too fast, and it burned out in a few seconds. The only thing that bugs me is that it wasn't as fast as a typical meteorite flashes you see across the sky, which only lasts a second or less in my experience. This one perhaps lasted two seconds, or three.

Anyway, thought I would ask here. Cheers.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30107326.

This maybe? Caught the end of a news article on the radio about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LeaveitOff

Yeah, i'm in Kerry, i saw it while on the way home from work. I didn't see it burn out, it just disappeared behind some cloud from my POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Good to know it wasn't just my imagination or street lights reflecting on the visor.

Perhaps related to the ongoing Leonid meteor shower.

This from Russia couple of days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1VpXeo2gKA
    Reddit Discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2mnyvq/something_exploded_in_the_sky_over_the_sverdlovsk/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

positron wrote: »
    Good to know it wasn't just my imagination or street lights reflecting on the visor.

Perhaps related to the ongoing Leonid meteor shower.

This from Russia couple of days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1VpXeo2gKA
    Reddit Discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2mnyvq/something_exploded_in_the_sky_over_the_sverdlovsk/

I saw it very clearly heading Northish over Blanchardstown at roughly 17.20pm which would fit in with your timing. Very bright and travelling pretty quick, at first I thought it was a shooting star but it was too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Reports of a "fireball" shooting from south to north at around 5:30 today in Antrim/Belfast.

If it's being seen as far south as Dublin & Kerry it must be a meteor surely?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Standman wrote: »
    Reports of a "fireball" shooting from south to north at around 5:30 today in Antrim/Belfast.

If it's being seen as far south as Dublin & Kerry it must be a meteor surely?

An extremely bright meteor is called a fireball, it really should be as bright as the planet Venus before the term can be used.

Just read the report there and if it was as bright as the moon it definitely qualifies :) But meteorites are usually accompanied by a sonic boom so I'd doubt if any debris will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

My gf seen this too, at same time as being reported. She was at Hertz building in Swords, and said it was over towards M1.

She did say it was very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

I saw it from Dundrum in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I hadn't heard of the term 'fireball' in this context before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoroid#Fireball

Makes sense. M1 around airport is so well lit, there's usually no chance of seeing anything past that light pollution other than flights coming into land at Dublin airport. So I guess this was pretty bright to have caught my eye when I wasn't even looking, and have been driving among hundreds of vehicles with headlights turned on. Must have been an impressive sighting if you were out in the country somewhere with some dark skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

it's only a meteorite when something is found on the ground otherwise it's a meteor no matter what size it is.
    mickmackey is right about the sonic booms.No reports usually indicate it came down if at all over water or at least an unpopulated area.I've heard nothing about it on the meteorite sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

it's only a meteorite when something is found on the ground otherwise it's a meteor no matter what size it is.

You must be joking me. The word changes cos of whether it lands or explodes 10 metres above ground. Astronomys hard enough for kids to enjoy without jargon nonsense like that to learn- no offence! Asteroid/meteor meteorite/shooting star.................-tis a rock from space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Don't forget fireball/bolide/meteoroid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You must be joking me. The word changes cos of whether it lands or explodes 10 metres above ground. Astronomys hard enough for kids to enjoy without jargon nonsense like that to learn- no offence! Asteroid/meteor meteorite/shooting star.................-tis a rock from space.

But it isn't jargon nonsense. And there's really no need for that reaction. The poster was simply pointing out a fact. Science is being dumbed down enough in the general public that it's refreshing to read the knowledgeable posts of many on this forum. No need to attack posts for that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

rccaulfield-thats just ignorance.I'll leave it at that

Advertisement