Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question, why is 7:45pm the standard kickoff time?

• 19-11-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

When I heard the radio sports guy earlier say "and kickoff in the Aviva is at 7:45" I thought to myself, "no need to tell us, its nearly always 7:45".

Then I wondered why? Internationals, CL games etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

NIMAN wrote: »
    When I heard the radio sports guy earlier say "and kickoff in the Aviva is at 7:45" I thought to myself, "no need to tell us, its nearly always 7:45".

Then I wondered why? Internationals, CL games etc.

I'd imagine it all boils down to international broadcasting and a time that's appropriate to all countries. That'd be my guess anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Back in the 70s it always used to be 7.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its not - its 8.45 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Still play games at 730. At least a few league Cup ties have kicked off at that time this season, as have a good few JPT ties.

Though none of these probably have big European viewing figures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Prime time TV viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Maybe it's so tv stations can plan the after programmes to finish on the hour or half hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Soups123 wrote: »
    Maybe it's so tv stations can plan the after programmes to finish on the hour or half hour

Maybe.

Always wondered why not 7:30pm or 8pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Maybe because it gives the panel the optimal amount of time to analyize the game afterwards?
    Usually games starting at 7:45 finish up around 9:35-9:40, leaving about 20 mins until 10pm, enough time to go over the main talking points of the game.
    Start the game at 7:30 or 8 and you have to fill at least 35 mins until the next hour. Way too long if a game turns out to be shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think they only use it for night time games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It goes back to when floodlights were first used.

7.45 was the earliest/most convenient time local supporters could get to midweek games after their days work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

padd b1975 wrote: »

7.45 was the earliest/most convenient time local supporters could get to midweek games after their days work.

But it's only 7:45 in Ireland, UK and Portugal. Everywhere else it's an 8:45 KO.

padd b1975 wrote: »

Sounds like the best explanation.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with tv. Here's a programme from 1962, Bohs -v- Arsenal, showing that clearly it was used then. Not sure they really wanted to optimise the analysis on tv stations across the world!

programme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

it differs with premier league teams with midweek fixtures as well. Old Trafford is usually a 7:45 kick off, other don't start till 8:00.
    Might be a traffic management plan or after consulting with fan groups for the most suitable time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

paulbok wrote: »
    it differs with premier league teams with midweek fixtures as well. Old Trafford is usually a 7:45 kick off, other don't start till 8:00.
    Might be a traffic management plan or after consulting with fan groups for the most suitable time.

Really? I imagine that's never ever happened.

Advertisement