Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to pre-pay for M50 as unregistered user?

• 19-11-2014 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have any tag or video account for M50, and not intending to get one as I use the road very occasionally.
    However I'll need to use it soon, and I was wondering if it's possible to f.e. pay it online before I cross the toll point (f.e. in the morning before I leave)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Yeah. Just do it online with your car's registration.
    You can basically put your registration into credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks.
    Checked website now and it's clear it's possible so all good.

I was confused as last time I checked I couldn't find such option on their website, so they either changed rules or updated the website to more userfriendly
    I should have really checked the website first before asking obvious questions :)

I have the tag and it beeped twice on three occasions when travelling the M50. I knew it was only supposed to beep once but I did the payments online anyway. Turns out after third time (over the space of a month or two) I called and they said I was in credit by three trips. :)

PeteK* wrote: »
    I have the tag and it beeped twice on three occasions when travelling the M50. I knew it was only supposed to beep once but I did the payments online anyway. Turns out after third time (over the space of a month or two) I called and they said I was in credit by three trips. :)

So you're saying - buy a tag and travel for free :D

CiniO wrote: »
    So you're saying - buy a tag and travel for free :D
    No.. sure I was paying twice! :pac:
    (But didn't lose out in the end)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Didn't think you could be charged twice within 10/15 mins

My trips were during the summer.. they were days or even weeks apart.
    I thought my tag was broken but it was working on the M1 for the same journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't have any tag or video account for M50, and not intending to get one as I use the road very occasionally.
    However I'll need to use it soon, and I was wondering if it's possible to f.e. pay it online before I cross the toll point (f.e. in the morning before I leave)?
    You don't need a tag, but AFAIK a video account costs nothing but you don't need worry if you have to traverse the M50 unexpectedly, it will just go on the account without penalty if you don't pay immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just register for a video account, there are no ongoing costs at all, nothing, nada , zilch, and you only pay for the trips you make.

Yep, video account is the way to go, even for very seldom m50 bridge users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Alun wrote: »
    Just register for a video account, there are no ongoing costs at all, nothing, nada , zilch, and you only pay for the trips you make.

+1

I was a divil for using the toll bridge about three times a year, and without fail forgetting to pay the toll.

Video account takes care of that for the princely sum of - nothing. (except the toll obviously!) And the toll is cheaper than paying manually.

It's a complete no-brainer.

Is there no risk with video account, that someone will clone your reg, pass toll bridge several times, and you'll be charged?

Is there no risk with video account, that someone will clone your reg, pass toll bridge several times, and you'll be charged?

That's a lot of trouble to go to to save about a tenner :D

If someone is going to clone your reg, they're going to do it anyway, and it'll be for far more nefarious reasons than saving an auld toll or two.

Being serious, I have never heard of this happening, and even if it did I'm sure you could protest/appeal it with eflow, who seem to be very reasonable people going on my (limited) experiences with them to date.

The same risk exists without one, the bills will rack up. With an account if you monitor your outgoings from credit card or current account that feeds the video account you'll spot the issue quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm an occasional user of the M50 bridge (one or two crossings a month max.) and I've had a video account for ages without any issue. The main benefits are

- Toll is 50 cent cheaper per crossing
    - I can put both cars plus my mum's on one account at no extra cost
    - No setup or admin fees
    - No need to worry about forgetting to pay

Even if you only pass through the toll once in your lifetime, you're coming out ahead.

Augeo wrote: »
    The same risk exists without one, the bills will rack up. With an account if you monitor your outgoings from credit card or current account that feeds the video account you'll spot the issue quicker.

Well not exactly the same, as without video account they will be trying to chase me to pay them up for money when someone crossed bridge few times with my cloned reg, while with video account, I'll have to chase them to return my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Well not exactly the same, as without video account they will be trying to chase me to pay them up for money when someone crossed bridge few times with my cloned reg, while with video account, I'll have to chase them to return my money.

The flip side of this is with a video account you'll likely have an earlier notification of a problem?

Marcusm wrote: »
    The flip side of this is with a video account you'll likely have an earlier notification of a problem?
    This ^^ You can easily check your account online, and if there has been any misuse you'll see it immediately, along with the exact date, time and direction of travel. I've had mine for several years now and not had any trouble with it at all.

I have to say, of all the reasons not to set up a video account (can't be bothered, too much technology involved, keep forgetting - that kind of thing), fear of someone cloning your reg is the most bizarre one I can think of.

What's the chances, like?

And as others have pointed out, they can clone your reg anyway, and a video account would surely be the least of your problems in the unlikely event of it happening.

This ^^ You can easily check your account online, and if there has been any misuse you'll see it immediately, along with the exact date, time and direction of travel. I've had mine for several years now and not had any trouble with it at all.

Is there an option on video account to have notifications by email every time you cross the toll?

Because if not, I hardly can see myself logging in every 2 days to check if someone didn't clone my reg and crossed the toll.
    While penalty letter usually arrives within less than a week of crossing and not paying - at least from my experience :)

• Advertisement

Is there an option on video account to have notifications by email every time you cross the toll?

Because if not, I hardly can see myself logging in every 2 days to check if someone didn't clone my reg and crossed the toll.
    While penalty letter usually arrives within less than a week of crossing and not paying - at least from my experience :)
    No there isn't, but seriously, do you think cloning of car regs is that much of a problem that it makes sense to make life more difficult (and expensive) for yourself? If nobody has cloned your reg so far, you registering for a video account won't make it any more likely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Can tolls be paid from mobile phone credit ( like the way parking can ) ?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's a lot of trouble to go to to save about a tenner :D

If someone is going to clone your reg, they're going to do it anyway, and it'll be for far more nefarious reasons than saving an auld toll or two.

Being serious, I have never heard of this happening, and even if it did I'm sure you could protest/appeal it with eflow, who seem to be very reasonable people going on my (limited) experiences with them to date.
    Augeo wrote: »
    blastman wrote: »
    I'm an occasional user of the M50 bridge (one or two crossings a month max.) and I've had a video account for ages without any issue. The main benefits are

- Toll is 50 cent cheaper per crossing
    - I can put both cars plus my mum's on one account at no extra cost
    - No setup or admin fees
    - No need to worry about forgetting to pay

Even if you only pass through the toll once in your lifetime, you're coming out ahead.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have to say, of all the reasons not to set up a video account (can't be bothered, too much technology involved, keep forgetting - that kind of thing), fear of someone cloning your reg is the most bizarre one I can think of.

What's the chances, like?

And as others have pointed out, they can clone your reg anyway, and a video account would surely be the least of your problems in the unlikely event of it happening.
    No there isn't, but seriously, do you think cloning of car regs is that much of a problem that it makes sense to make life more difficult (and expensive) for yourself? If nobody has cloned your reg so far, you registering for a video account won't make it any more likely to happen.
    0lddog wrote: »
    Can tolls be paid from mobile phone credit ( like the way parking can ) ?

All right, all right.
    You convinced me.
    I signed up for video account few minutes ago.

All right, all right.
    You convinced me.
    I signed up for video account few minutes ago.
    Yay!!!

What's your car reg by the way? I need to get some new plates made pretty quickly ... :D

Advertisement