Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New N5 / N26 / N58 Road Project Consultation

Options
  • 19-11-2014 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

There will be a public consultation on the proposed Swinford link road and the N5/N26/N58 route corridors. The project is now called the N5 / N26 / N58 Turlough to Bohola and Swinford to Mount Falcon Road Project.

The preferred route corridor selections for the N5 / N26 / N58 Turlough to Bohola and Swinford to Mount Falcon Road Project will be on display on the dates and times in the following locations;

Straide : Straide Community Centre – Monday 17th November from 2pm to 8pm
    Foxford : Mayfly Hotel – Tuesday 18th November from 2pm to 8pm
    Swinford : Cultural Centre – Wednesday 19th November from 2pm to 8pm
    Ballina : Hotel Ballina – Thursday 20th November from 2pm to 8pm

For more details visit; http://swinfordtidytowns.com/swinford-link-road-public-consultation/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I'll never understand the decisions, turlough to bohola?, best stretch of road in the county

swinford to ballina?. How busy does this route be? Or will the old foxford road to ballavary end up been quicker to castlebar?

Any chance the nra could do something out the ballinrobe/headford side of things, give us mayo people a quick safe journey to galway, were road use seems to at its Max. .

Upgrading yes, but when we have most of our busy roads in the county up to standards to cater for the traffic. .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

P_Cash wrote: »
    I'll never understand the decisions, turlough to bohola?, best stretch of road in the county

swinford to ballina?. How busy does this route be? Or will the old foxford road to ballavary end up been quicker to castlebar?

Any chance the nra could do something out the ballinrobe/headford side of things, give us mayo people a quick safe journey to galway, were road use seems to at its Max. .

Upgrading yes, but when we have most of our busy roads in the county up to standards to cater for the traffic. .

Agreed about that road, on it every day to work in Galway and its getting worse by the month and certainly a large increase in volume over the last 3 years since I started driving it.

yop wrote: »
    Agreed about that road, on it every day to work in Galway and its getting worse by the month and certainly a large increase in volume over the last 3 years since I started driving it.

Also feel more and more are going to galway for employment and for healthwise, hospital treatment etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Also feel more and more are going to galway for employment and for healthwise, hospital treatment etc

At this rate the large functions at Mayo hospital will be a moved to Galway, with no parking, poor hygiene and as you said a shocking poor road. I feel sorry for many of those I see driving up early in the morning obviously heading for treatments etc.

Agreed re jobs, in many areas there is nothing in Mayo with Galway the nearest option.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Apart from the minor detail that there are only about three short stretches on it where it's possible to safely overtake - less than ideal for a national primary route.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Apart from the minor detail that there are only about three short stretches on it where it's possible to safely overtake - less than ideal for a national primary route.

No where near the issue of safety on castlebar galway route, if only over taking was the only issue,

No where near the issue of safety on castlebar galway route, if only over taking was the only issue,

Sure, but that's a national secondary route. It's inevitable that a national primary will get priority.

We had an opportunity when the country was awash with money to do something about our secondary routes. Let's hope when the good times roll around again we still have a Mayo taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sure, but that's a national secondary route. It's inevitable that a national primary will get priority.

We had an opportunity when the country was awash with money to do something about our secondary routes. Let's hope when the good times roll around again we still have a Mayo taoiseach.

I think he'll be pushing up daisies as will an awful lot of us, before there'll be good times again!

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I think he'll be pushing up daisies as will an awful lot of us, before there'll be good times again!

I didn't specify which Mayo taoiseach...!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

swinford to ballina?. How busy does this route be? Or will the old foxford road to ballavary end up been quicker to castlebar

Swinford to ballina is a very busy road, it's the main ballina to Dublin road for everyone, a lot of people including myself use it as the main road to Galway, cork Limerick! If a new road was built all of North Mayo would use it in order to keep out of towns like kiltimagh!
    You obviously don't know the road

• Advertisement

TheBully wrote: »
    Swinford to ballina is a very busy road, it's the main ballina to Dublin road for everyone, a lot of people including myself use it as the main road to Galway, cork Limerick! If a new road was built all of North Mayo would use it in order to keep out of towns like kiltimagh!
    You obviously don't know the road

I'm from between bohola and castlebar, ,

When your stuck in heavy traffic 20 miles from your destination, crawling along doing 40kms, on the worse surface ever, anytime between 7.30am to 9am Monday to Friday come back to me. And I'm not mentioning the fact that from this side of ballinrobe the limit may as well be 75 with the condition of the road, apart from a few spots.

I agree with you all,
    I guess id just prioritise slightly differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Anybody know if the county council/NRA publish the traffic records of cars/trucks that use the various roads?

They definitely record it along the key routes. I think there is one outside Ballina at the moment, past mount falcon. It's with the two wires going across the road.

I have definitely come across it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

finisklin wrote: »
    Anybody know if the county council/NRA publish the traffic records of cars/trucks that use the various roads?

They definitely record it along the key routes. I think there is one outside Ballina at the moment, past mount falcon. It's with the two wires going across the road.

I have definitely come across it somewhere.

Not sure about public records but they have those traffic measuring devices on the N5 just outside Castlebar to Dublin and Westport and on the N84 to Galway as of today.

Yeah they are the things I'm on about. It would be interesting to see from these how much traffic use the various roads and the type e.g. cars v trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

finisklin wrote: »
    I think there is one outside Ballina at the moment, past mount falcon. It's with the two wires going across the road.

If it is 2 wires then it is probably monitoring traffic speed. I think it is called 'Truvello' or similar. Only one wire needed for traffic counting.

In the UK a speed camera usually follows a few months later once the local speed partnership has done a cost/benefit analysis.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    If it is 2 wires then it is probably monitoring traffic speed. I think it is called 'Truvello' or similar. Only one wire needed for traffic counting.

In the UK a speed camera usually follows a few months later once the local speed partnership has done a cost/benefit analysis.

TT

ya? ok, though the position of those wires wouldn't add up to speeding. They put them in early last week on all the major routes out of Castlebar.

Pretty sure they're for counting. See my link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I assumed, wrongly perhaps, that the wires were close together with about 2 yards between them. Both wires then feed into a small grey box usually chained to the base of a lamp post.

It makes sensed that they could be used for traffic counts as well..... though I bet they are recording speeds as well.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

2 wires are to check direction I'd imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Those two wires across the road were here in swinford about 6/8 months ago. On the back street at the back of the gateway hotel. I'm sure they are for counting traffic and direction. They were there for about a week or two. Left the steel clamps on the roadside after them too!

Thats a really good link. Interesting to compare traffic for Ballina (Foxford) and Castlebar (Turlough).

Castlebar has the highest volume just under 12k. However, some of that traffic may be for Westport. The really key point is that both towns have similar amounts of HGV traffic, in actual terms.

Advertisement