Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - negotiating the best deal?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Our home insurance is up for renewal and has gone up by around €40 since last year. I phoned a few competitors who offered insurance for the same price we paid in 2013 which seemed like a good amount to save.

When I got back to our own company, they said they could now match this price and asked which competitors were offering this price.

Anyway, it seems like a game - you could go back and forth but which companies are best in terms of customer service and value?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Check them all out via their websites and then decide. Internet quotes are often better than phone quotes and usually way better than brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My current provider posted me a renewal of €297, up from €260 last year.

I did an internet search of a few different firms the other night, and Axa quoted me €668.
    I got a call from them today, "sir wondering if you would like to proceed with your quote for home insurance?"

G.T.F !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Personally for any insurance product I never get back to my current one if I get a better quote. Give me your best quote first time or I'm off, they have zero loyalty to me so I return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Check them all out via their websites and then decide. Internet quotes are often better than phone quotes and usually way better than brokers.

With home insurance they'll lower Internet quotes over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Even if you don't do the multiple quotes thing, I've found that just ringing up when I get the renewal notice and saying "is that the best you can do" gets it lowered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

NIMAN wrote: »
    My current provider posted me a renewal of €297, up from €260 last year.

I did an internet search of a few different firms the other night, and Axa quoted me €668.
    I got a call from them today, "sir wondering if you would like to proceed with your quote for home insurance?"

G.T.F !!

€660 for Home Insurance :eek:

When it's low enough to be ~€20 a month, I usually just end up letting it renew itself. I can't justify spending the time out of the day to shop around to save another 5-10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PeterBr

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

renewal letter = computer generated price

phone / internet quote = company chasing business

always make the call for a renewal

Advertisement