Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4-6 Weeks to cash a cheque

Options
  • 19-11-2014 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

How come it suddenly takes 4 - 6 weeks to clear a Stirling cheque?

I tried to pay in a cheque from a UK account about a month ago, i got the cheque returned along with a letter saying that (in essence) they had to verify the funds were in the account, and it could take 4- 6 to clear.
    Every time i've paid in a cheque in the past, it only takes a couple of days - what's changed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

How come it suddenly takes 4 - 6 weeks to clear a Stirling cheque?

I tried to pay in a cheque from a UK account about a month ago, i got the cheque returned along with a letter saying that (in essence) they had to verify the funds were in the account, and it could take 4- 6 to clear.
    Every time i've paid in a cheque in the past, it only takes a couple of days - what's changed?
    Hi dr strangelove,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

When you lodge a Bank of Ireland cheque this can take three working days to clear on your account and a non Bank of Ireland domestic cheque can take three to five working days to clear on your account. With foreign cheques, this can indeed take four to six weeks to clear due to security checks that need to be done with the sending bank.

Please let us know if you need help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

But how come it cleared in two to three days every other time i lodged a cheque (as recently as September)?
    Is there a new process in place?
    If i pay in another cheque will it still take up to six weeks?

Hi dr strangelove,

Different types of cheques would have different time frames for clearing on your account. If you had lodged a domestic cheque, such as a Bank of Ireland cheque, this takes three working days to clear on your account. 

However a foreign cheque, such as a cheque made out in Sterling or Dollars, can take four to six weeks to clear. This time frame is in place to carry out checks with the foreign bank for security reasons. 
    The time frame for the next cheque you lodge into your account would therefore depend on the type of cheque you lodge. 

I hope this clarifies this for you and please let us know if we can help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

However a foreign cheque, such as a cheque made out in Sterling or Dollars, can take four to six weeks to clear. This time frame is in place to carry out checks with the foreign bank for security reasons. 
    That's what i don't get - the last cheque i paid in, from the same bank, and the same account, cleared in three days (just like the 20 or so previously).

I can understand if it's a spot security check, or something like that, or should i assume that from now on it will always be six weeks for a UK cheque to clear?

Hi dr strangelove,

Thanks for your reply.

There have been no changes to lodging cheques. If you call Bank of Ireland 365 on 0818 365 365 a representative will be able to see the latest cheque you lodged on your account and look into this further for you. Our representatives are available 8am to midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends. We would be unable to advise you further on this here as we do not have account access.

Please let us know if you need help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
Advertisement