Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to pack for NYC

Options
  • 19-11-2014 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey me and my OH are going to NYC in early December for a few nights and I am wondering what would I def need to pack/bring to make the trip more enjoyable??
    Also any tips on good places to visit? It's my second time there (first as an adult) but her first and I want to make it as special as I can.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bring your best old shoes, you will do a lot of walking in NYC. In December the weather could be very cold, it could be very mild, it could be raining, there could be three feet of snow. I'd bring plenty of layers because in all probability it will be very cold in the evenings, if not all day. You also need to allow for the odd shower if it's not snowing so a light raincoat would be useful - if it rains in NYC in December, the temperature will be well above zero so don't bother with heavy rain gear. Buy a few cheap woolly caps in Penneys and bring them but if it's cold there will be plenty of street vendors with stalls selling them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Yes, definitely layers and good shoes, preferably waterproof (in case of snow). It's been a cold week here, but the temps are going up again on Sunday/Monday, so who knows what you'll get.

Bring a pair of gloves, too. I still have the gloves I bought when I took my wife to see 5th Avenue near Christmas one year. The wind was howling down 5th Ave and we forgot gloves...expensive mistake in NYC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

+1 on the shoes being comfy. That is a must. Ice and snow in December is quite common, so bring the shoes that give you the best grip if it is icy/slushy/snowy out. Gloves, ear muffs or a hat that covers you ears, are a must. The windchill factor can be brutal and it always seems to affect my ears most.

New York gets asked about a lot here. Have a look at some of the other recent threads & you'll find lots of good info on what to do.

Advertisement