Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lights out of focus/dimmed beams missing lights on a lot of cars?

• 19-11-2014 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in the number of cars that either have one of their dimmed beams missing or have dimmed beams that are totally out of focus and are focused more like headlights?

I travel the m50 every day and nearly every morning and evening I come across it.. This morning a volvo had its lights dipped but right beam was higher than a headlight and blinding, last night a citreon drove behind me with what i thought was full beams so i put on my rear fogs for a second but made no difference.. his lights were dipped just way out of focus.. had passengers with me and they all commented on it.

Whats almost worse though is when you meet a car missing one light - from the distance it looks like a motorbike approaching.

Do drivers just not notice lights missing or unfocused? Would/Do the guards stop you for having poorly focused lights?

I know they get checked at NCT so its a bit surprising it seems so common

Sorry if it sounds like a bit of a whinge!

Cheers,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Yep, other people are idiots. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, this happens at this time every year when people start using their lights.
    People don't check their lights or "will fix it tomorrow"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yep, other people are idiots. End of.

Almost 50% of people are below average...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

To make it worse a lot of the cars have blown bulb warning systems. So people don't even need to check the bulbs as the car tells them there blown. It's one my pet hates people going around with blown bulbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

The blown bulb warnings are great. My car actually has two bulbs in the rear, so if one goes I still have light on both sides. Brakes are separate again.

Auto-leveling headlights should be mandatory on all new cars. The number of cars with dipped beams pointed fully upwards is huge. I'd hazard a guess that over 50% of people have no idea what the headlight leveling adjustment wheel even does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

It would be nice is there was away to inform people that their bulbs were blown or out of focus.. a lot of people probably don't realise it, especially driving in urban area's with street lighting its not often obvious.. i dont think waving or shouting from your own car is very effective... or even flashing lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It would be nice is there was away to inform people that their bulbs were blown or out of focus.. a lot of people probably don't realise it, especially driving in urban area's with street lighting its not often obvious.. i dont think waving or shouting from your own car is very effective... or even flashing lights

Drivers should be proactive rather than reactive - they should be checking their lights frequently just like the condition of their tyres but alas people are lazy or ignorant. They just switch the ignition on and off they go, not a care in the world.

You can guide a horse to water but you can't make them drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Every evening cycling out of Dublin city center I see cars with no lights, if they're stopped at lights I'll let them know. Seems to be mostly people in a rush or something, just not thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Almost 50% of people are below average...

Don't worry, I'm on par with your humour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the misalignment problems were down to bulbs simply not being put in correctly. No auto self levelling will compensate for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Every evening cycling out of Dublin city center I see cars with no lights, if they're stopped at lights I'll let them know. Seems to be mostly people in a rush or something, just not thinking.

Or not enough attention being paid to the dashboard. ;)

I did it once in a brand new motor, the street lights were so bright it was difficult to tell the difference. I got from the carpark of a hotel to the road and realised, feels a little dark in the cab :P

I don't think it's fair to judge somebodies intelligence based on a bulb alignment, or blown bulb etc. It's is however, carelessness.

It can and does happen as people make mistakes.

Advertisement