Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet cables

Options
  • 19-11-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm rejigging my network to get better speed across my various wired devices, so I bought a gigabit router and a gigabit switch (I've got an upstairs office and a downstairs home entertainment system) and several Cat6 ethernet cables.

Unfortunately, the a$$ monkeys in Amazon delivered Cat5e cables instead. From what I've read about the differences, I won't notice any speed difference using the 5e over 6, but there might be less noise. Since I'm using homeplugs to go from upstairs to downstairs, I'm already adding noise to the line (I assume).

It's just not really worth my time or effort to return these and wait up to 2 weeks for maybe the right product, so the question is will I regret it if I don't return them and get proper 6's, or am I good for a couple of years anyway until the next level of ethernet technology comes along (terabit?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

You won't notice any difference as any bottleneck (if there was one) would be caused by the homeplug technology. Cat5e are fine for gigabit networks.

Advertisement