Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a dog-Advice needed

• 19-11-2014 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi Guys hoping for some help, I’ve wanted to get an Amstaff for a while (American Staffordshire terrier) however there are a few issues I was hoping to get some opinionson before purchasing.

At the moment I live at home, and will be for at leastthe next year. There is someone home 24/7 while I work. As the puppy will be sold at 8 weeks Iknow it needs to be fed around 4 times a day and there is someone there to dothat. My fear is when I move out (will be buying my own house) and bring the dog with me it will be on itsown from 9am-6pm every week day(and il be leaving it outside in a secure back garden with proper shelter, toys etc).

1- shall I goahead with this if the situation will be from around 1 year old + it will be onits own for those hours (obviously when I’m home its indoors and will sleep indoors)
    2- if I did, what’s the best way to train It fromas early as possible to get somewhat used to being on its own and not cryingdesperately when I’m not there! Really want one but not at the expense of amiserable dog! I wouldn't want to dog being used to being Baby'd from a puppy being indoors to suddenly outdoors and it being a huge shock when I move out when im at work!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hi Stuey you sound like a considerate, thoughtful guy. Dogs have the intelligence and awareness of a 3 year old child, and I know that someone like you would not leave a child alone for such a long time during the day. It is a tough decision. You might consider getting a second dog to keep it company, which I imagine would need to be when the pup is quite young so that it won't get jealous as a one year old. But would that suit your family who will be looking after them for the first year or so?
    Another thing that you need to consider, it will probably bark a lot when you leave it outside after it's been inside for so long and the neighbours may complain. Sorry I'm trying to dampen your hopes; just bringing some things to your attention, and I wish you well with your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I wouldn't be leaving any dog of any age or breed outside these days. Dogs left outside, especially lonely dogs who are friendly, are becoming target numero uno for thieves. A pure-bred dog or one that looks well capable of holding their own in a fight are going to be high up on the list of dogs to go missing while you are at work.

Sorry Stuey I meant to say that I'm NOT trying to dampen your hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

The dog needs to be inside. For her sake and yours. Just keep in her in one area of the house when you are out. Train her to use newspapers for toilet time indoors. Look into Kong chew toys to keep her amused. Ideally someone would come and walk her while you are out. She will need a lot of exercise in the morning and when you come home to keep her happy. She WILL be stolen if you leave her outside. Its an epidemic.

-- I had an amstaff rescue for a while in the US. I lived in an apartment and she lived there with me :) Best dog I ever had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭1stuey1

Hi Stuey you sound like a considerate, thoughtful guy. Dogs have the intelligence and awareness of a 3 year old child, and I know that someone like you would not leave a child alone for such a long time during the day. It is a tough decision. You might consider getting a second dog to keep it company, which I imagine would need to be when the pup is quite young so that it won't get jealous as a one year old. But would that suit your family who will be looking after them for the first year or so?
    Another thing that you need to consider, it will probably bark a lot when you leave it outside after it's been inside for so long and the neighbours may complain. Sorry I'm trying to dampen your hopes; just bringing some things to your attention, and I wish you well with your choice.

Thanks , 2 dogs wouldn't be an option although id love that haha :(, the first year or so wouldn't be an issue, There would be someone at home at all times, I guess what I was thinking of doing was training it from a young age to be outside, so its not such a shock to the system, iv heard of people training it 30 minutes a day starting off and moving upwards.. I just don't have any experience of this myself! I don't want an 8 week old puppy lumped outside on day 1.. but I also don't want a puppy raised solely indoors and when that day comes for me to move out.. its out in the cold which its not used too..

• Advertisement

percy212 wrote: »
    The dog needs to be inside. For her sake and yours. Just keep in her in one area of the house when you are out. Train her to use newspapers for toilet time indoors. Look into Kong chew toys to keep her amused. Ideally someone would come and walk her while you are out. She will need a lot of exercise in the morning and when you come home to keep her happy. She WILL be stolen if you leave her outside. Its an epidemic.

-- I had an amstaff rescue for a while in the US. I lived in an apartment and she lived there with me :) Best dog I ever had!

Thanks for that, I was just worried keeping a large dog indoors all day, especially stories of ripping the place to shreds... and I would have thought an Amstaff would appreciate it the open back garden and stretching its legs over been locked in a kitchen etc.. Id be all up for keeping it indoors, it would keep me happier but id have thought it would rather run around ..

Percy212's advice seems very sound to me. That would probably work. It's really not too difficult to train a pup to "do their business" - you just catch them as a puppy when the want to do it and immediately take them outside. Once or twice is all they need; they learn very quickly. The only problem with that is that they will hold it in all day long if they are inside. If you give her a good run in the A.M. that might work. The dog theft thing bothers me, though! I hadn't thought of that. I don't know what kind of security system would deter it. Have you thought about hiring a dog walker? Some vets in your area may know trustworthy people who do it for a living.

There really isn't any security system that will deter a persistent and determined dog thief. If they know the dog is alone, they will attempt to take it.

Also, do not train your puppy to pee on newspaper - you are asking for a whole WORLD of issues if you teach them that it is okay to go to the toilet inside. You take them outside when they need to go and get up several times in the middle of the night as well.

Finally, an 8 week old puppy should absolutely not, under ANY circumstances, be left outside alone for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭mojesius

Honestly, I don't think you should get a dog if they'll be alone 9 hours a day (45 hours per week). It's an awfully long time to leave a dog on their own. Leaving aside the indoor/outdoor question, unless you have a dog walker or a friend/relative who can call over during the day, it's not really fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

She will be ok inside so long as someone takes her out for a nice walk once while you are at work. I really would not leave her outside all day long.

Since you are buying the house maybe you could install a dog door. I know that opens up other kinds of security issues but there may be some experts on this forum who could advise you....

• Advertisement

percy212 wrote: »
    She will be ok inside so long as someone takes her out for a nice walk once while you are at work. I really would not leave her outside all day long.

Since you are buying the house maybe you could install a dog door. I know that opens up other kinds of security issues but there may be some experts on this forum who could advise you....

A dog walker wouldn't be an option :( so it would more than likely be inside all day/ or outside depending! I know its long but how do other people do it with the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hey Stuey,

I hate to say it but the situation you are describing is not a great one for the dog TBH. I would rethink the whole thing or what will probably happen is in a years time when the dog is left to its own devices for an extended time and becomes destructive it will be surrendered to a center (if not stolen first). I may be wrong but most people will only put up with a certain amount of destruction before they reach the end of their tether. If you advertise your dog as free to good home, sure it may end up there, but more than likely if it is on the RB list will be used for fighting in one way or another... You also will have to consider the noise that your dog will make when left alone for the whole day. Neighbours, even thoes who love dogs will only put up with so much disruption to their lives by your choices.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but you should think of the needs of the dog before your own wants. Either organize day care for the dog or dont bother because the dog will not be living a good life in the situation you describe.

My last collie boy once got so distressed being left alone that he chewed an entire door off its frame in order to get out.
    I can only imagine the damage a frightened/lonely/bored AmStaff might do :eek:

No-one here leaves their dog alone anywhere for 9 hours with no break (eg dog walker, neighbour, family visitor). It is simply not doable, not ethical and not fair on the dog or your neighbours. Inside or outside. No amount of training you do now will prepare a puppy for that culture shock in a year's time, when they will most likely develop very severe anxiety and behavioural issues from being left alone that long.

Advertisement