Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Andrew McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

This is from the Kilkenny people
    Jun 26, 2014 - "The newly-elected Mayor of Kilkenny has said it is time that the county council puts an end to cruelty to horses in Kilkenny and addresses the issue of sulky racing"

Fair play for him for getting behind a worthy cause but as far as I can see all he has done in 6 months in create a an online petition. Anyone could have created that in a few minutes.

Also there is nothing in the article to suggest how he proposes to do it or what legislation.
    "I am also calling on the Government to introduce legislation to enable the Gardai to deal with the issue properly as a matter of urgency"

In other words I am calling on the government to do something as I have no idea what do but at least this story will have my picture in the paper.
    If anything actually concrete comes out of this I'll be amazed

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Andrew McGuinness speaks a lot of tripe. He will back anything that he feels is popular. Seen it before, the man is of little substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

kikel wrote: »
    Andrew McGuinness speaks a lot of tripe. He will back anything that he feels is popular. Seen it before, the man is of little substance.

+1 The guy's an absolute tit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The sentiment is excellent, animal welfare is pretty appalling in certain places, but an elected politician, a mayor thinks starting an online petition is action and enough?

So he wants to be seen to be doing something, when he won't actually do anything at all. Nothing will change.

Keeps him out of mischief while he waits on the death notices to see which funeral to visit next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Four generations of the McGuinness family have now held the office, with Andrew making it, between them, 15 terms of office.

Isn't that nice. Fianna Faíl politician in populist,meaningless gesture politics? Never! Just like Daddy speaking out of both sides of his mouth when in government.
    It's bizarre that any Fianna Faíl candidate gets elected at all. That's democracy for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

His political party/character/family are irrelevant on this issue.
    What's going on with those horses at the Hebron is absolutely horrific and something seriously needs to be done.Ive seen it first hand,the beatings those horses get,and it would turn your stomach.
    Saw a young lad of no more that 4/5 years old going to town with a stick on a little pony in McDonald's car park for no reason recently.It would nearly make you sick.
    Scum of the earth and I'd only love to see it reversed one day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What's going on with those horses at the Hebron is absolutely horrific and something seriously needs to be done.Ive seen it first hand,the beatings those horses get,and it would turn your stomach.
    Saw a young lad of no more that 4/5 years old going to town with a stick on a little pony in McDonald's car park for no reason recently.It would nearly make you sick.

I think it's very relevant, setting up an online petition isn't being proactive, online petitions aren't worth the piece of paper their written on. What is being done to those horses is wrong but what are you doing to put it right?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

What can people do? Call up,tell them I'm a big fan of their culture and so forth and then ask them politely to stop abusing/beating the sh#te out of their animals? You and I know full well what would happen.
    Any suggestions yourself,Captain?

I think it's very relevant, setting up an online petition isn't being proactive, online petitions aren't worth the piece of paper their written on. What is being done to those horses is wrong but what are you doing to put it right?

Agreed petitions are a joke. The campaign to complete the ring road had one of 10K people and McGuinness ignored it. Yes, we came out asking for a review but he knew the contract was been signed. The guy is a total waste of space.

With regard the cruelty to horses, yes something needs to be done asap.

What can people do? Call up,tell them I'm a big fan of their culture and so forth and then ask them politely to stop abusing/beating the sh#te out of their animals? You and I know full well what would happen.

Education is the only way, how you educate them on the care of horses is another matter. It's a difficult one to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Wasn't some of the money the council got from selling the site to McDonalds to go towards stables for the travellers horses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have no suggestions but I won't be pretending to do anything either. I think if I saw one being mistreated I'd call the gardaí as I probably wouldn't feel secure approaching a number of equine enthusiasts encouraging their horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The lack of RSPCA or similar, with the powers it has to confiscate, prosecute and generally police animal welfare means, imo, this country is light years behind the UK when it comes to Animal Welfare.

If the best elected officials can do is start an online petition, I don't see the situation improving any time soon.

oh it is very relevant. how long has the issue in hebron being going on? He, his family and his party have been elected long enough.
    As has been pointed out, what he's doing here is window dressing. seeing what way the wind blows and go with that. That's classic FF stuff.

Education is the only way, how you educate them on the care of horses is another matter. It's a difficult one to implement.
    Pardon the pun,but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

oh it is very relevant. how long has the issue in hebron being going on? He, his family and his party have been elected long enough.
    As has been pointed out, what he's doing here is window dressing. seeing what way the wind blows and go with that. That's classic FF stuff.

I really don't think it's an FF thing, politicians are politicians.

Why can't the ISPCA just take them off them? Fear?

brianblaze wrote: »
    He's put up a petition in relation to the disgraceful treatment of horses in certain parts of Kilkenny....

https://www.change.org/p/irish-government-kilkenny-county-council-kilkenny-gardai-zero-tolerance-towards-cruelty-to-horses-in-kilkenny/share?just_signed=true

Be warned, there's a fairly horrid picture at that link of the horse that was illed last week.

Why doesn't he just enforce the law? Call the gardai? He is the mayor after all. Putting up a petition is laughable.It's actually an insult.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why can't the ISPCA just take them off them? Fear?

Lack of power,
    Which is due to the failure of numerous party's over the decades.

The very fact that I could for example walk into a field full of say 500 puppys and cut them to bits and the worst I'd get is a fine and might be told I can't own puppys again.

Says it all really,

Animal welfare just isn't' a big vote spinner for any party and they know this,

The petition in this instance is completely meaningless and is about as useful as if he just wrote "we should do something about it!!!!!" on a post it note which he then he sticks it on a pole in high street.

Pointless stuff, just making himself look like he's doing something...nothing more.

OP, do you still think Andrew McGuinness is a great fella? How long has this been an issue and how long have him, his da and his gradaddy been elected?
    Give me a ****ing break/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

OP, do you still think Andrew McGuinness is a great fella? How long has this been an issue and how long have him, his da and his gradaddy been elected?
    Give me a ****ing break/

+1

Mcguinness jnr. is every bit the Cowboy the auld lad was (and still is)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Some very harsh words about our Mayor on here.

I just think he is the personification of everything that is wrong with our city. Nothing else to add really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 guessing_game

I think he should of dealt with this last year, as he was on the traveller committee, and the year before that it was Joe Malone, sometimes I feel he's just pointing the finger at someone else.

G_G

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

and the year before that it was Joe Malone

:rolleyes: Lord help us

I think he should of dealt with this last year, as he was on the traveller committee, and the year before that it was Joe Malone, sometimes I feel he's just pointing the finger at someone else.

G_G

LOL, Now that just shows what a gobsh1te Andrew McGuinness is. He has all the contacts to actually do something about this and all he can do is create a online petition. He is a useless waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

He's an embarassment.
    Gareth brooks issue. "i'm going to try and bring him to nolan park!"
    €90,000 of expense - went on Holidays for three weeks and no one heard a word from him for the next three months.
    CAS - The biggest issue in kilkenny in the last 30 years and nowhere to be seen by any of the protestors. Then pops his head up for a "review" to get a few photos. "sure it look great in the paper and on my facebook"
    Horse Cruelty - provides no solution to a problem. Sets up a on line petition after 8 months!!! Gets some facebook likes. Ask his daddy to mention it in the dail.
    Tragic car accident - His two cents for this was to build mini walls around any new council built house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

God he is such a waste of space. I can not believe he always tops the election.
    Always in the paper for things but just like this useless online petition, he never delivers any real results.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

How did they manage to ruin turning on the lights I'll never know. Another photo opportunity for sure but the mc's only advice for xmas being to 'spend loads of money' surely merited him saying a few words to make the whole lot less cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Wimbago wrote: »
    How did they manage to ruin turning on the lights I'll never know. Another photo opportunity for sure but the mc's only advice for xmas being to 'spend loads of money' surely merited him saying a few words to make the whole lot less cringeworthy.

How did they ruin it? What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Post anything debatable on one of his facebook statuses and watch as he blatantly ignores it and lets his bumbrigade fight his corner.

Advertisement