Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Express on Old Laptop to New laptop

Options
  • 19-11-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Old laptop runs windows xp

How do I get all my messages over to new laptop which will be windows 8 ??

Can I take out the old hard drive from my Dell XPS M1710 and plug it into a cradle and access them from my new laptop

Or is that too simple?

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your best bet is to connect up the two machines over your network and use use Windows Easy Transfer, it's in Windows 7 and should be also there in Win8. For migrating from older versions of Windows which do not have ET installed, you will be given an installable file to put on the old machine. I've used it twice to migrate laptops and it works like a breeze, beats using an intermediate HDD or attempting to use a cradle as you suggested.

It's best if you can do this over cable so see if you have two network cables, disable wi-fi on the two machines and plug them into the network ports on your broadband router (there's almost always four ports at the back) and you'll need a memory stick.

Start Easy Transfer on the Win8 machine, on my Win7 laptop it's in Accessories/System Tools and it's called 'Windows Easy Transfer'. You identify that as the new machine and it will find the older machine. It's then pretty easy to follow, you'll be given a PIN number to enter on the other machine and you'll be asked for a memory stick to take the installable file which you will need to install on the Win XP machine in order to participate in the migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

You can connect the laptop drive as you suggested.

Outlook Express is not available in Windows 8 so you need to get a new email client (Outlook comes with a lot of versions of office, but there are free options: thunderbird and windows live mail).

Pick your preferred client and I will tell you how to import them (or google can).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Outlook Express is not compatible with Windows 8. This email client have data files into DBX format which is not appropriate with Windows 8 PC. In this situation, there is need to convert DBX file into MS Outlook PST file. Then you would be able to transfer Outlook Express emails into MS Outlook on Windows 8 environment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Are you using POP3 or IMAP with Outlook Express?

Advertisement