Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5, Sun 25 Jan 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

RayCun wrote: »
    no, they're strung out before we catch them
    R walkers subject to the same stringent drug testing as us joggers...(beat me to it ger)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Making this my first race of 2015, will sign up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I forgot to mention I'm officially signed up for this. A little worried that I'll finish dead last...again (not this race, a different 5 mile club race) as club races tend to be faster, but that's not going to stop me! :D Wild horses couldn't drag me away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I forgot to mention I'm officially signed up for this. A little worried that I'll finish dead last...again (not this race, a different 5 mile club race) as club races tend to be faster, but that's not going to stop me! :D Wild horses couldn't drag me away!

hope you enjoy it! (It's my club's race) First, as you know coming last doesn't matter, it's happened to lots of us, but actually I bet you won't be - it's a big race (normally over 3,000) and there are quite a few walkers, so there are sure to be both runners and walkers behind you. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Myself and my wife signed up for this tonight, looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Will be signing up to this once I get paid next week :)

Hope it's a warm dry day. Was a bit chilly last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Just signed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

One of the best races on the calendar but I would say that, it being my club's race. Won't be running unfortunately ,due to injury but will probably be there in some shape or form volunteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Is there much parking around the area? il have to travel by car

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

parking is fine in the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 colin31

Is there much parking around the area? il have to travel by car

Get there early. It's always a pain to park in the village

colin31 wrote: »
    Get there early. It's always a pain to park in the village

Thanks Colin.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Signed up before Christmas when I had an injury, now sorted and back running and really looking forward to this. It will be my 4th year in a row to do this race, as I feel that it is a great motivator to get you off the couch early in the year and kick start your program after the selection boxes and trifle........

IMO...bring a small bottle of water/lucozade for a sip to keep the mouth and throat moist as I can't remember seeing a water station last year (could be wrong on that mind you). To be fair it is only 5 miles, but I tend to need a drop of water after 3-4 miles :-).....just my own preference/ experience.

A really friendly and well organised race with a cracking goodie bag afterward........bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

My first time running this - one week to go and I'm excited! Could someone tell me where the start/finish is? The route is posted on their facebook page but it's not clear where the start finish is.

Found this on mapmyrun, is it the right route? mapmyrun.com/ie/portmarnock-l/raheny-5-route-201608

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yep, that's the one. Getting pretty excited myself, last long run today. Thinking of 11m tomorrow and Tues. Intervals Weds then 6m Thurs and Fri. Should get me to the start line in good shape. Come on SUB 30!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

vanderlyle wrote: »
    My first time running this - one week to go and I'm excited! Could someone tell me where the start/finish is? The route is posted on their facebook page but it's not clear where the start finish is.

Found this on mapmyrun, is it the right route? mapmyrun.com/ie/portmarnock-l/raheny-5-route-201608

Yep that's the right route alright. The Start/Finish area is at the top left corner of the small loop as you look at the map...the junction of All Saints Drive and All Saints Park.

Best of luck and of course, ENJOY!!!

christeb wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one. Getting pretty excited myself, last long run today. Thinking of 11m tomorrow and Tues. Intervals Weds then 6m Thurs and Fri. Should get me to the start line in good shape. Come on SUB 30!!!

Good man, B. I better try keep you in sight so. Seeya Sunday!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd like to do this, won't know till the Friday if I can get up though.

Really looking forward to this. First 5 mile race. Hoping for under 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good man B, the old inverse taper approach...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

When do the entries close Briano? Ive entered the last 2 years but the weather has been horrendous on the day so didnt bother travelling. Wanna leave it to the last minute to make sure theres no storms or any craic like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

You gonna go topless at the end and give the people of Raheny and a couple of thousand other participants what they want, BC? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

From the Raheny 5 Facebook page:
    "Due to the anticipated record field on Sunday there will be a wave start for the first time. All expecting to rub Sub 40 minutes will start at 3pm. The remainder of the field will begin at 3.03. Remember you're chip timing doesn't start until you cross the start line"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

tunguska wrote: »
    When do the entries close Briano? Ive entered the last 2 years but the weather has been horrendous on the day so didnt bother travelling. Wanna leave it to the last minute to make sure theres no storms or any craic like that

Some time on Sat. Did I read it was 11pm? Either way you it won't be the same without you, E, so get there!
    Killerz wrote: »
    You gonna go topless at the end and give the people of Raheny and a couple of thousand other participants what they want, BC? :eek:

If I'm sub 30 I guarantee it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ndr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    From the Raheny 5 Facebook page:
    "Due to the anticipated record field on Sunday there will be a wave start for the first time. All expecting to rub Sub 40 minutes will start at 3pm. The remainder of the field will begin at 3.03. Remember you're chip timing doesn't start until you cross the start line"

Can anyone recommend which wave to run in if I am hoping to run 39:59 (based on a 24:30 5k ) Best to start at back of the first wave or from the front of the second wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

the people of raheny begin to pray for a christeb sub 30

Killerz wrote: »

the people of raheny begin to pray for a christeb sub 30

other participants begin to pray that you are ahead of him or far enough behind that you miss the celebration
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Some time on Sat. Did I read it was 11pm? Either way you it won't be the same without you, E, so get there!

Cool. The long range forecasts are good so I reckon I'll be there. If you need a sub 30min pacer Im your man........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

ndr wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend which wave to run in if I am hoping to run 39:59 (based on a 24:30 5k ) Best to start at back of the first wave or from the front of the second wave?

I'd go back of first wave if I were you. People to chase. Possible wind cover if it's windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

ndr wrote: »

I'd consider starting at the front of wave 2 if I were you. At the back of wave 1, there will be plenty of folks who should be in wave 2 and have no intention of running sub 40. You will have to duck and dodge around them, and potentially lose time. At least if you start in wave 2, these folks will have thinned out somewhat, and be easier to pass. You will undoubtedly catch and pass plenty of them. That will be a nice boost, passing people who started 3 mins before you. Just don't go out too hard if you're at the front of a wave.

Good luck with it - hope you get it, enjoy!

Advertisement