Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5, Sun 25 Jan 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

vanderlyle wrote: »
    I'd consider starting at the front of wave 2 if I were you. At the back of wave 1, there will be plenty of folks who should be in wave 2 and have no intention of running sub 40. You will have to duck and dodge around them, and potentially lose time. At least if you start in wave 2, these folks will have thinned out somewhat, and be easier to pass. You will undoubtedly catch and pass plenty of them. That will be a nice boost, passing people who started 3 mins before you. Just don't go out too hard if you're at the front of a wave.

Good luck with it - hope you get it, enjoy!

Yes, there is merit in that option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

ndr wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend which wave to run in if I am hoping to run 39:59 (based on a 24:30 5k ) Best to start at back of the first wave or from the front of the second wave?

There is forecast a westerly wind which would be in the the runners faces on the Howth road roughly between 1.5 and 2.5 k. Starting at the front of the second wave youd risk this.

Rather than start at the back of the 1st wave you could suss out the correct spot for you given some people will be there who should be in wave 2.

All that said, you may be thinking that you have a chance to win wave 2 so to speak. That can be a great motivation. If youre thinking like that then take youre predicted time as a sign and go for it, there will be others thinking like that too and it will make it more interesting for you and may push you to a faster time.

Best tactic then would be to run at a steadier effort (10k pace and behind other runners if possible) as far as the left turn at 2.5 k. Start picking them off then. Most people will start too fast and its uphill and again' wind till 2.5 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

tunguska wrote: »
    Cool. The long range forecasts are good so I reckon I'll be there. If you need a sub 30min pacer Im your man........

Really? You're hired. I'll be at the helpdesk from 1:30ish helping out, see you around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

christeb wrote: »
    Really? You're hired. I'll be at the helpdesk from 1:30ish helping out, see you around there.

Might join you folks and see how long I can hang on:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Weather is looking good for Sunday, 10 Degrees, no rain, gentle breeze...

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Raheny/long.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Well, I'll be at the back of the last wave, whenever that is. As a slow runner I know my place! :P Not sure how I'll do on Sunday, not feeling terribly confident about it but still going to enjoy the day and the new course; it's my first time running this race. So anyway, I'll see you all there....or I'll see your dust at least! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Absolutely. I wasn't gonna be flogging it eyeballs out anyway so let's do it. I'll come find you at the help desk and we can talk strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

adrian522 wrote: »
    Weather is looking good for Sunday, 10 Degrees

Scorcher!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mod: No number swaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Only back running a few weeks from a very very lazy winter, so doing this for a laugh and to see the Cru gang and not anything like what used to be race pace, Im an old social jogger now, not a runner :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mod: No number swaps.

Its the legendary Village runner though......surely he's above the law

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Is this a 2 lap race or all 1 big 5 mile circle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is this a 2 lap race or all 1 big 5 mile circle ?

one lap, here's the garmin track from the race profiles thread
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66202274

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks Ray.

Interesting climb for the last mile. Would the better strategy be to bank time earlier or go for an eye balls out hanging in there last mile ? (Or is the climb not that bad and the garmin profile exaggerates it)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Pacing Mule, hope you are well these days!
    IMO..... take it a little handy on the coast road (nice and flat), then when you turn the corner the hill is a bit steep, so have a little bit left in the tank for the last mile as lots of people struggle (including me) on the hill. Once you get to the top, it is a flat run around the square to the finish line.

Best of luck....I plan completely ignore my own advice and to be walking, knackered, with my hands on my head, gasping for air halfway up that hill if you want to stop and say hello :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

at 5 mile pace, the climb is that bad :)
    last mile should be eyeballs out no matter the course profile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Pacing Mule, hope you are well these days!
    IMO..... take it a little handy on the coast road (nice and flat), then when you turn the corner the hill is a bit steep, so have a little bit left in the tank for the last mile as lots of people struggle (including me) on the hill. Once you get to the top, it is a flat run around the square to the finish line.

Best of luck....I plan completely ignore my own advice and to be walking, knackered, with my hands on my head, gasping for air halfway up that hill if you want to stop and say hello :D

Beats the foetal position crying that some are now expecting after hearing about a hill 4 miles in :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

They accept 'em on the day (I've been inputting them the last few years :P), but like all these things, it's polite to register before then.

I only finalised child minding at the last minute and missed the cut off for registration. Could you let me know if on the day entry is available and what time I have to be there for?
    Cheers
    midonogh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good Luck to all those running tomorrow. Have a good one and ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck to everyone running this today. Hope you all smash your targets!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Slightly cooler than I expected and a bit of a wind, but all in all not too bad out. Weird to have a race on a Sunday so late in the day, plenty of time for nervous energy to build...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is there a bag drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Where exactly is the starting line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

beertons wrote: »
    Is there a bag drop?

Yes - a baggage area, according to their Q&A anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Any word on the winners? Cannot make head nor tail of the Italian Timing company they used.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/682337508 29 17 !!

Woop! A dramatic wait for tunguska meant no warm up, although I never find they make much of a difference to me. He told me to go on ahead. I brazenly did some strides alongside Martin Fagan and Mick Clohisey and settled into the front of the pack.

First half mile was under 5 30, couldn't slow down and it felt frightfully easy. Killerz sauntered past me around here and was moving very well. It's nice to get pulled along by such a deep field. Tons of shout outs from club members help too. 5 40 first mile, tunguska caught up me just after the first mile, as we'd left each other at the start. He strolled alongside me for a couple of miles 5 50 x 2 but headed on then, he had the faith! Legs felt pretty good down Sybil Hill and Mt Prospect Avenue and the times were showing good numbers. There was a little wind to contend to heading towards the coast rd, but with another sub 6 (5 53 for the 4th mile (which encompasses some of the much talked-about Watermill Rd hill), I knew it was in the bag. Start of 5th mile pace was close to 6 30, but I knew that would come down after the hill and I got closer to the finish. Didn't have much left in the tank on the final little lap around the sq, but was delighted to cross the line in 29 17. A great day at the office, and nice to see so many happy faces at the end. Gave killerz a naked hug at the end as promised.

FBOT01 did 30 flat, or hopefully 29 59 on the chip, and plenty of other fast times around. Thanks tunguska! McMillan says I can do a 17 40 5k and 2 52 marathon based on that. Can I just pocket those times without running the races??!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PL1

Are the full results available anywhere yet?

tang1 wrote: »
    Any word on the winners? Cannot make head nor tail of the Italian Timing company they used.

Mr Fagan was first, I believe. My buddy was listening in on Near FM from NYC (gotta love technology) and said that they wouldn't utter his name, as he obviously took the glory from Mick Clohisey, the local favourite.

"A dark day for the Raheny 5 with athlete's like that winning the race"

A little harsh I say - he's done the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Are official results being held back until tomorrow's Indo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Mr Fagan was first, I believe. My buddy was listening in on Near FM from NYC (gotta love technology) and said that they wouldn't utter his name, as he obviously took the glory from Mick Clohisey, the local favourite.

"A dark day for the Raheny 5 with athlete's like that winning the race"

A little harsh I say - he's done the time....

Martin Fagan 1st, Mick Clohissey 2nd, and Conor Dooney 3rd. They announced it at the end on the tannoy. I think the winning time was around 23:40.

Great run christeb, you smashed the 30 minutes!

Advertisement