Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5, Sun 25 Jan 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Really enjoyed the run today! I'm delighted with myself for running everything but the hill. I think my finish time is near enough to what I hoped it would be so am really pleased :D I'll write up my race report for my blog later and post it on my training log here too.

Well done everyone for a great atmosphere and fun race! Huge thanks to everyone who stayed on to cheer at the end, made a big difference to run to the finish with support and cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Fecking results not been released until they are published in tomorrows Indo. Really annoys me that, and I didn't even run the race.

Edit: Anyone here how Mary Cullen ran?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

christeb wrote: »

Woop! A dramatic wait for tunguska meant no warm up, although I never find they make much of a difference to me. He told me to go on ahead. I brazenly did some strides alongside Martin Fagan and Mick Clohisey and settled into the front of the pack.

First half mile was under 5 30, couldn't slow down and it felt frightfully easy. Killerz sauntered past me around here and was moving very well. It's nice to get pulled along by such a deep field. Tons of shout outs from club members help too. 5 40 first mile, tunguska caught up me just after the first mile, as we'd left each other at the start. He strolled alongside me for a couple of miles 5 50 x 2 but headed on then, he had the faith! Legs felt pretty good down Sybil Hill and Mt Prospect Avenue and the times were showing good numbers. There was a little wind to contend to heading towards the coast rd, but with another sub 6 (5 53 for the 4th mile (which encompasses some of the much talked-about Watermill Rd hill), I knew it was in the bag. Start of 5th mile pace was close to 6 30, but I knew that would come down after the hill and I got closer to the finish. Didn't have much left in the tank on the final little lap around the sq, but was delighted to cross the line in 29 17. A great day at the office, and nice to see so many happy faces at the end. Gave killerz a naked hug at the end as promised.

FBOT01 did 30 flat, or hopefully 29 59 on the chip, and plenty of other fast times around. Thanks tunguska! McMillan says I can do a 17 40 5k and 2 52 marathon based on that. Can I just pocket those times without running the races??!

Really sorry about the late show Briano, there were, eh transportation issues. Thanks for getting my number, I wouldn't have made the start otherwise. I think my pacing skills need a little work......hope I was some use to you. Although I felt like you had it in the bag anyway and didn't need my help.
    Great job dude, you gotta be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

pconn062 wrote: »
    Fecking results not been released until they are published in tomorrows Indo. Really annoys me that, and I didn't even run the race.

Don't think Mary Cullen ran?

Yeah, shame abt results. Getting more snippets of the race day commentary. Seemingly at the start, when they spotted Mr Fagan

"Ah now, that's very disappointing to have that sort here"

Disgraceful stuff :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great race, big turn out too. Delighted with my first race, in a cool 41:30, give or take a second. The goodie bag is huge, 3 drinks. Nearly had to pull in on the drive home for a tinkle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Seemingly at the start, when they spotted Mr Fagan

Muppets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeah, shame abt results. Getting more snippets of the race day commentary. Seemingly at the start, when they spotted Mr Fagan

Why would they say that? Sorry I don't know anything about the history of him so just curious

Edit - Ignore this post...just googled his name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Quite happy with how the race went today. It was my first 5 mile. I spent most of the race at a steady jogging pace in the middle of the pack. I wasn't sure how I would do and ended up probably holding back too much energy as I seemed to have loads left and sprinted the last part around the park. The clock said 40 which means I probably did it in about 39 which I'm happy about. I was aiming for under 40.
    Very well organised race. Can't wait to do it again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Whatever anyone thinks about the situation that is just downright unprofessional on behalf of the commentators. When your in that sort of position I would assume its best to say nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

KJ wrote: »
    Quite happy with how the race went today. It was my first 5 mile. I spent most of the race at a steady jogging pace in the middle of the pack. I wasn't sure how I would do and ended up probably holding back too much energy as I seemed to have loads left and sprinted the last part around the park. The clock said 40 which means I probably did it in about 39 which I'm happy about. I was aiming for under 40.
    Very well organised race. Can't wait to do it again next year.

You must have crossed the line with me. Watch said 39, clock said 40.
    Great race. Well done to the club, really enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Not going to be a popular post but he cheated. He knew the consequences of getting caught and he showed how loose his morals are. Dopers need to be ostracised and I think the reaction is fair. Tbh, I think he should have got a life ban. It's all good and pc to show sympathy and redemption but what sympathy did Martin Fagan have towards his fellow clean competitors? Absolutely none.

I do have sympathy for him but I then I think of all the people he cheated. Nobody shows any sympathy towards gaitlin, why do they show it for Martin? Because he's Irish. A cheats is a cheat no matter what nationality they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pconn062 wrote: »

Didn't see Cullen. Lizzie Lee was well clear in the ladies race at Mile 3 (Annemaire McGlynn 2nd and Catriona Mc 3rd) and she was asking how big the gap was. This confused me a bit as she was clealry 1st at the time. Maybe Cullen started and pulled out?
    There was a lady jogging though who was ahead at the time but had clearly taken the walkers start; maybe someone else on the course had told Lee there was another lady ahead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Not going to be a popular post but he cheated. He knew the consequences of getting caught and he showed how loose his morals are. Dopers need to be ostracised and I think the reaction is fair. Tbh, I think he should have got a life ban. It's all good and pc to show sympathy and redemption but what sympathy did Martin Fagan have towards his fellow clean competitors? Absolutely none.

I do have sympathy for him but I then I think of all the people he cheated. Nobody shows any sympathy towards gaitlin, why do they show it for Martin? Because he's Irish. A cheats is a cheat no matter what nationality they are.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would agree wth a lot of what you said. Did the announcer really say that? Was it the same person that commentated on the race last year? If he did he crossed a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

menoscemo wrote: »
    Didn't see Cullen. Lizzie Lee was well clear in the ladies race at Mile 3 (Annemaire McGlynn 2nd and Catriona Mc 3rd) and she was asking how big the gap was. This confused me a bit as she was clealry 1st at the time. Maybe Cullen started and pulled out?
    There was a lady jogging though who was ahead at the time but had clearly taken the walkers start; maybe someone else on the course had told Lee there was another lady ahead.....

Orla Drumm was third by the way. I should know. I finished ahead of Cat but was beaten by my own clubmate. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

think Cullen was entered but didn't start

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

The commentators job is to commentate on the race, not to give his personal opinion on. He was asked I am sure by Raheny to do the job, and most people will assume that those comments are the opinions of Raheny Shamrocks AC. They may well be , but I am sure Dick Hooper would never speak with that venom. Raheny will surely not want this to be the story of the day, because as usual ,it was a great day out for athletes, adults kids and supporters. The debate on Fagan needs no more fuel. We don't need to go there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would agree wth a lot of what you said. Did the announcer really say that? Was it the same person that commentated on the race last year? If he did he crossed a line.

The quotes are from the Near FM online stream, not Dick's (enthusiastic, and excellent) live commentary.

In other news, I've got a sugar headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

The quotes are from the Near FM online stream, not Dick's (enthusiastic, and excellent) live commentary.

In other news, I've got a sugar headache!

Ah, that makes a bit more sense! Good running today. Raging I missed the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Great race as usual, well organised in great conditions.
    Only complaint is my packet of chickatees that was in the goody bag is out of date!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Orla Drumm was third by the way. I should know. I finished ahead of Cat but was beaten by my own clubmate. :(

She wasn't third at mile 3!!
    Nice one, I am sure you found some consolation finishing behind Orla :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

He also served the punishment for the offence. For the commentator to publicly single him out in that way(if it really happened that way) is harassment and maybe even incitement to hatred, it was irresponsible, dangerous, immoral and wrong on every level.

menoscemo wrote: »
    She wasn't third at mile 3!!
    Nice one, I am sure you found some consolation finishing behind Orla :)

Every cloud...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Every cloud...;)

If you had as much focus on the race...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Enjoyed the race today, the 5 miles coming second only to a naked hug from christeb afterwards. How does he keep that body looking so awesome?? The white chocolate aero biscuit bars in the goodie bag are jostling for a podium spot in the day's activities too.

Great to catch up with loads of boardsies and parkrunners before, during and after the race. Enjoying some recovery fluids now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Enjoyed the race today, would recommend it to anyone. I'm off to eat some buttery McVities digestive biscuits now - a real treat when I was a kid. Simple pleasures.

ECOLII wrote: »

FBOT just snuck in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Really enjoyed this race today, well enjoyed is the wrong word, but happy with result, pb of 33.33, cracks me up that we don't get official times till tomorrow.
    Hats off to Raheny, superbly organised event, and great goody bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Jaysus...the range of sharp turn emotions here till I realised I was reading the wrong time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Yay official time 39.47
    Wanted sub 40 :D

Advertisement